.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Scenarios, Maps & Mods

Old June 9th, 2006, 07:22 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Byblical Mod Discussion (\"Moved\" from Dom3 for

Slingers and bowmen seem to have been part of the Israelite (Israeli?) forces. It is especially mentioned that the slings were used left-handed. Maybe most infantry should be given slings and precision of 14 - using slings took lots of training, but stones were easy to come by. Alternatively, they could be given slightly modified slings, with range 35, dam [str-2] and prec 0 to show their mastery of the weapon.

There shouldn't be a slinger-hero. He would be equipped with some magical bow any way, and slings as normal weapons are rarely considered as dangerous as they were. The lead glandes shot from slings had to be extracted from the bodies of soldiers they had struck, and that can't be good...
Old June 9th, 2006, 08:05 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Agrajag is on a distinguished road

I say Israelite to differentiate them from Israelis of today, I really don't know what the proper way of saying it is.
As for slingers and bowmen, I don't remember* any refernce to bows in the bible, nor slings (except for David and Goliath), but if you say they were a part of the ancient military, then I believe you.
Left Handed slings would be really cool, because I'm left handed
There shouldn't be a slinger hero? According to what you said, a slinger hero makes sense. We could even have David as a leader with powerful sling abilities.

Other hero ideas:
Cain Clone: If it was possible, making Cain Immortal and giving him the Blood Vengance effect would be really cool, this would simulate the Mark of Cain that ensures that he will: a) Forever roam the land b) Anyone who strikes him will be punished seven folds.
Elyahu/Elijah Clone: Uber prophet hero. This guy was a serious miracle worker, he even revived a dying child (Awwwww!)
Moses Clone: Another uber miracle worker, this guy can take credit (although obviously the credit goes to god) for a rain of frogs, turning water into blod, lice, complete darkness, a hail made from huge burning rocks of ice, etc.
Solomon Clone: Very wise, should be able to decrease chance of bad events happening.
Samson Clone: Uber strength.

*-I have a pretty lousy memory
Old June 9th, 2006, 09:03 AM

"Judges 20:16
Among all these soldiers there were seven hundred chosen men who were left-handed, each of whom could sling a stone at a hair and not miss."

"1 Chronicles 12:2
they were armed with bows and were able to shoot arrows or to sling stones right-handed or left-handed; they were kinsmen of Saul from the tribe of Benjamin):"

I searched for 'sling' in BibleGateway.com - that's the two mentions of slings in warfare. I have read elsewhere, but can't cite any sources, that some tribe of Israelites (probably tribe of Benjamin) were extraordinarily good with slings, and perhaps ranged weapons in general.

I would rather not have a David hero, precisely because everyone knows the story of a peasant-slinger. Very few realize sling was actually quite deadly weapon. As a hobbyist-slinger, I'd rather have sling respeceted for the power it really had (better range than shorbows of the time, for one), and not remembered as the toy that divine power magically transformed into a weapon.

As an interesting variation, what if most heroes had a double-edged power(s), or they were described as such? All men fall, and were punished. Job would make a good hero, IMO. He raises dominion, but causes bad events to happen - on the other hand, he can be an awesome preacher, even prophet, but on the other hand, you don't want him on your important provinces.
Old June 9th, 2006, 09:20 AM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

BTW, for the record I've been thinking a bit of how one could split this into three eras.

I'll look into the units this weekend.

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old June 9th, 2006, 11:17 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Jobe sounds like an interesting hero, if he can be modded the way you say. The only problem would be making him an excellent preacher like you said, because Prophets are candidates for Holy4, and that means the only way to make him better is with Holy-5, which is maximum holy. And propheting him would seem really wierd (would he get Holy-6? O_O)
I'm not really sure how you think it can be split into three eras, because:
1) It will require 3 times the work (atleast on unit graphics )
2) The theme behind this nation is extremely low-tech and high-magic, even in the height of ancient Israel they had almost no access to iron, using bronze as their strongest metal, AFAIK. This makes it fit only to the most ancient magical era.
You could replace it in newer eras with the empires that conquered ancient Israel (Babylon, Greece etc.) but I believe they are already represented in the game, so aren't really good mod material.
You could invent an alternate history, but then the newer eras would seem detached from the original theme.

Anyway, if you give our(:P) nation powerful slingers, make sure to state they are left handed
Old June 9th, 2006, 12:09 PM

Job: Marignon units etc have Inquisitor bonus; Juggernauts and maybe few other things spread dominion like prophets; Doom Horrors spread misfortune. If these could be combined, we would have Job. They can't. We can only dream about the possibilities, and hope that we can make them come true one day...
Old June 9th, 2006, 12:18 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Its possible we will have them in Dom3, you know.
The Inquisitor bonus is definitely out of the question though, since it brands the unit as an inquisitor, and none of our units has anything to do with the inquisition O=
Old June 9th, 2006, 01:22 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Reverend Zombie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Agrajag said:
Moses Clone: Another uber miracle worker, this guy can take credit (although obviously the credit goes to god) for a rain of frogs, turning water into blod, lice, complete darkness, a hail made from huge burning rocks of ice, etc.

Don't forget to give Moses the sailing ability! Can he give it to troops he leads as well?
When that they find nothing but waste...

Old June 9th, 2006, 01:55 PM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Reverend Zombie said:Don't forget to give Moses the sailing ability! Can he give it to troops he leads as well?
Eeeer, sailing commanders lead their troops over the seas. Militias or demon knights, there's no difference IIRC.

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old June 9th, 2006, 03:22 PM

Colonel

shovah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Agrajag said:
Jobe sounds like an interesting hero, if he can be modded the way you say. The only problem would be making him an excellent preacher like you said, because Prophets are candidates for Holy4, and that means the only way to make him better is with Holy-5, which is maximum holy. And propheting him would seem really wierd (would he get Holy-6? O_O)
I'm not really sure how you think it can be split into three eras, because:
1) It will require 3 times the work (atleast on unit graphics )
2) The theme behind this nation is extremely low-tech and high-magic, even in the height of ancient Israel they had almost no access to iron, using bronze as their strongest metal, AFAIK. This makes it fit only to the most ancient magical era.
You could replace it in newer eras with the empires that conquered ancient Israel (Babylon, Greece etc.) but I believe they are already represented in the game, so aren't really good mod material.
You could invent an alternate history, but then the newer eras would seem detached from the original theme.

Anyway, if you give our(:P) nation powerful slingers, make sure to state they are left handed
i think you can get holy over 5, iirc I had holy 7 once (holy 5 marignon cardinal, prophetised and with the holy raising sword artifact.