.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 14th, 2009, 06:41 AM

Private

ese-aSH is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Some questions on LA Ermor

Hi all,

I came to dominions few weeks ago, and now comes the time of my very first MP game. I'm openning this thread to ask for advice, tips, noob mistake to avoid etc...

The MP game I'm engage in was not initiated in this forum, yet the other participants might read this board.

The game will be played on EA with map Cave & Corner and the nation were randomly attributed : I wil played Ermor Ashen Empire and my opponents will be Gath, Mitgard and T'ien Ch'i.

First of all, be sure that I have read the dominion KB on AE (and the threads I found here), yet I would like advises on the following points :

dominion My only question here concerns Magic scale. magic+1 is huge boost to research, in the other hand drain+2 could bring some protection to my undeads. What are the consequences of such a choice ? (from my calculations 1rp/turn cost 4D gems with drain2 and only 2.2D gems with magic1, this makes a real difference I guess).

pretender I never played a SC pretender yet, and the KB rather mention Master Lich or Queen Lich as a pretender choice. It seems the pretender has to have very strong Death magic, good astral, and... and what ? rather 2 points in each remaining path or a third strong path ?

game start I've started a few game, and my 'Build order' was :
1- pretender cast spectator (12 - 15)
2- spectator cast spectator (12 - 18)
3- pretender cast dusk elder (20 - 21)
4- spectator cast spectator (12 - 16)
5- spectator cast spectator (12 - 19)
6- spectator cast spectator (12 - 22)
7- dusk elder cast archbishop (23 - 25)
the archbishop becomes my prophet and I restart from step 1.

general questions

- should I pay attention to my undeads ? is it worth it to loose 100 of them to take a province ?

- the prophet (or maybe all archbishops ??) can revive lictors. since these units are gems expansive should I use this ability a lot ? or should I wait later spells that summons plenty of them ?

- I have the impression of never having enough gold. I always put tax to 200, I never buy PD nor recruit any troops but scoots. What should I build in priority : temples everywhere (this seems usefull since when my dominion spreads it kills indep and provinces are then easier to take) ? some additionnal castles ? (the global income felt really fast in the few games I initiate, lucky events and magic sites were the main income source)

- on the research side, should I go asap for a global enchantment such as burden times ?

- in the army setup part, is it worth it to distinguish guys with a shield and guys without ? i'm the kind of player that love ordered and organized armies, with AE I'm afraid I will have to go with huge swarm. Another point, since undead are unbreakable I try to split them in little squads (~20) just to make it easier to surround ennemies, is it good ?

I also have no experience of 'end game' (only played a few sp game that I won quite fast) no idea on how nor what items/heroe combinations are good and efficient, and worse, I have no idea of my opponent's nations strengths and weakness.