.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old January 31st, 2007, 11:58 PM

Private

Maz is on a distinguished road
Default Missing the point ! And confusing myself too!

Hi,

I'm trying to setup a good ascendant, at the point of selecting magic I'm choosing a guy that has a low cost (10 points) for magic skills. What I don't get is I still have to research magic skills in order to use magic, so what's the point of selecting 6 levels in astral for arguments sake? Does that mean he can't use any other magic, if so it would then be better to get 6 different entry levels in 6 different magics??

Totally confused with this, and this is probably why I'm getting killed in the demo. I understand it only goes up to level 4 research wise.

Also there's 3 ages, if I go for a later age, does magic go away? If so there's no point in going for magic at all??? Not tried a later age yet btw.

Any help clearing my fogs of war is appreciated!!
Old February 1st, 2007, 12:10 AM

Major

Wish is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Missing the point ! And confusing myself too!

the magic strength, as determined by the points dumped in, or later gems used to empower, and maybe various magic items, determine how strong a spell he can cast. (in the research this will be indicated by matching icons.)

essentially as the game starts it indicates the potential of the pretender to cast spells - once the research for the spell is complete.

on a pretender, it also determines blessing bonus effects and has some minor advantages for the mage, himself (i.e. astral increases MR, fire increases Attack, etc.)
Old February 1st, 2007, 12:16 AM

Sergeant

Tichy is on a distinguished road

The magic skills you give your pretender on creation are in paths of magic like air, astral, etc.

The magic skills you research are in paths like thaumaturgy, alteration, etc.

In order to cast a spell you need a pretender or recruited or summoned unit that has a high enough level in air, astral, or whatever (or some combination of two of them) AND you have to have researched the appropriate path to a high enough level.

For example: A spell might be Astral 5/Air 3, and Thaumaturgy 5. So you'd need a mage with S5/A3, and you'd need to have researched Thau to 5.

As for ages: The different ages vary by the relative balance of strength between non-magic troops and magic. Early age = stronger magic (i.e. easier to research, more mages with higher levels available to recruit), weaker troops (more primitive weapons, less armor). Late age = weaker magic (but still important for most nations), but stronger, better protected troops.

Enjoy!
Old February 1st, 2007, 02:36 AM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road

Access to a spell in dominions is restricted based on two factors:

1) Magic Paths Required - This is what you are adding during pretender creation

2) Magic School Research Level - These levels are gained in the game by assigning mages to Research.

So, for example, go look at the spell: Gift of Health (Enchantment school, level 6). You see that it has 5 Nature symbols next to it. What these to things mean is that you must research all the way up to level 6 in Enchantment AND have a mage with 5 points of Nature magic in order to cast that spell.
Old February 1st, 2007, 11:41 AM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road

Overall think of the paths taken at creation (ie Air Astral etc..) as magic "colors", with level taken in each path as "power level", then paths of research as a magic "tech tree" allowing you to cast the spell *if* you have the proper colors and level.
At start you just can't cast anything but research will open you the spells as you go on.
Maybe it'll confuse you even more, but hey I've tried stg