.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old April 26th, 2007, 12:06 PM

BANNED USER

Wikd Thots is on a distinguished road
Default What is wrong with the AI?

Now that I have you here I have a question. All of you people who jump into these threads because you know everything that is wrong with the AI.

What happened to the AI mods? Why aren't there any improved AI mods? Make a mod for the Kikass Nation. If the AI uses ****ty infantry then don't give it that infantry. If it uses ****ty pretenders then don't give it those pretenders. Or set the god and the scales and the everything so that the AI can not make stupid mistakes. I am not interested in new nations for ME to play. At least not yet. I do not want mods that add a balanced nation. I want one that is WAY unbalanced. But in ways that the AI will make use of. To hear some of you people all it would take is to trim some units and pretenders from Ulm to give us a challenge somewhere between now and mp.
NO I do not want to hear that mp is the answer.
Old April 26th, 2007, 12:16 PM

Second Lieutenant

VedalkenBear is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What is wrong with the AI?

Hm. Well, something that you would have to do in addition to restricting national troops/pretenders/etc. would be to remove the independents almost entirely as a recruitable resource. (As I recall, this mod exists.) This would force the AI to spend its money on its national troops etc.

If it's something as simple as trimming the recruitable lists, then that's something people should be able to do on an individual basis, y'know?
Old April 26th, 2007, 12:41 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Actually, the NI (No Independents) games are not mod-dependent, but map dependent. So you need to have a map version that is modified to NI status by assigning empty poptypes to all provinces.
Old April 26th, 2007, 01:15 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

What's with people asking "why are there no mods doing X?" or "why hasn't someone done Y yet?". Why does it always have to be someone else doing what you want done?

When it comes to modding Dom3 unless you're proposing lots of new units with new graphics and whatnot then you could actually have a go at doing it yourself; it's not that hard.

Not trying to be rude, but it seems like there are a lot more people talking about what they want 'someone' to do than actually giving constructive feedback on the many excellent mods that are already out there.
Old April 26th, 2007, 01:24 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

It's too bad you can't just make independents non-recruitable for the AI as an internal function of the game.
Old April 26th, 2007, 01:29 PM

Major

Morkilus is on a distinguished road

Some people also set up a couple nations with good scales and pretenders and then "set to AI". This would get around that complaint. Combine that with the No Indies maps, set independent strength less than 9, 16 Impossible AI's, and a medium size map should give you some challenge.
Old April 26th, 2007, 01:36 PM

Major General

Arralen is on a distinguished road

@ HoneyBodger
You can - in some sort. Simply set the ressource cost to 100 for all indie troops, and they will very seldomly be build. Or to 999 ...
(Haven't checked, though, if the AI might stupidly keep adding them to the build queue every turn nevertheless. But I think it will not, as it builds troops from turn to turn..)

@ all the .. ehem .. critics

O.c. you could do a AI-version of every nation, to make it build the best troops etc only. Simply remove everthing else from the recruitment list. If you want that.

DO IT - YOURSELF!

I'm not going to do it. I have other interest if I'm doing a mod, and I spend way to many hours on my "Black Steel of Ulm" to make it interesting to play etc anyway.
Old April 26th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Wikd Thots said:
Now that I have you here I have a question. All of you people who jump into these threads because you know everything that is wrong with the AI.

What happened to the AI mods? Why aren't there any improved AI mods? Make a mod for the Kikass Nation. If the AI uses ****ty infantry then don't give it that infantry. If it uses ****ty pretenders then don't give it those pretenders. Or set the god and the scales and the everything so that the AI can not make stupid mistakes. I am not interested in new nations for ME to play. At least not yet. I do not want mods that add a balanced nation. I want one that is WAY unbalanced. But in ways that the AI will make use of. To hear some of you people all it would take is to trim some units and pretenders from Ulm to give us a challenge somewhere between now and mp.
NO I do not want to hear that mp is the answer.
Do YOU have fingers and toes? Do YOU have a working computer? If so, act now and you can create this mod yourself! Would be excellent to see a mod that makes the AI a bit more challenging, but I am not going to mod it, because I know I would lose interest in doing the mod after about 15 minutes.

So to answer the question of why no one has made this mod for you. It's not that we are dense, it is that the modding community likes to make mods that are interesting enough to keep our attention. There are a few modders out there that like doing rule changes rather than adding new material. You may try to collaborate with them or ask them for advice as you create this mod. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
Old April 26th, 2007, 01:45 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

It's a nice mod, Arralen. I've got the world's worst head-cold or I'd give you some positive feedback. As it is, I feel like I'm a couple miles underneath a really vindictive ocean.
Old April 26th, 2007, 01:46 PM

Brigadier General

Shovah32 is on a distinguished road

The problem is that when you set a nation to ai its only on normal difficulty.