.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old November 13th, 2008, 10:52 PM

Second Lieutenant

Rytek is on a distinguished road
Default Help me get dominions running again

My laptop got shaken around a little bit this morning. In the afternoon I went to load up Dominions and got a "Nagot gickFel" out of memory" error code.

Everything else is working fine on the LAptop. I just can't get dominions to load now. I have tried deleting all files, uninstatlling and the reinstalling.When it get to the black screen it times out about 2 minutes and then gives the above error.

Any suggestions?
Old November 13th, 2008, 11:40 PM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help me get dominions running again

Maybe open it up, and reseat the memory and the video card?
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old November 14th, 2008, 08:34 AM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know how to run Dominions with the verbose argument under Windows? I cannot get any command-line argument to work under Windows at the moment... I seem to be lacking in Windows kung-fu, but I'm not sure Dominions itself knows what's going wrong here...

Does memory usage keep on increasing in the system monitor when you try running Dominions? Can you play other 3D games fine, and have you tried playing for more than a few hours? I hope that's not your problem, but you might want to run a memory test program (like Memtest86+) if all else fails, especially if you start running into problems with other games...
Old November 14th, 2008, 11:02 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Running Dom3 in verbose mode in windows is pretty muich the same altho it isnt as helpfull in learning it. This command will work...
dom3 -STd --port 12345 --era 1 --mapfile aran.map -g testgame

But without the more helpful linux experience I shudder at the idea of someone figuring that out error by error.

Windows does not handle redirects well. It obnoxiously sets things for you such as.. the debug log will be called log.txt and there will automatically be a stdout.txt and a stderr.txt created.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old November 14th, 2008, 11:54 AM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road

Doh! I have a fair bit of Linux experience, but that actually hindered me... (Why on Earth does the command prompt redirect output to files only, instead of displaying it in the console too?)

Anyway If you want to run the game in its 'try to tell us what's wrong' mode, you should go to Start -> Run -> Enter the path to your dominions executable in quotes, add -ddddd at the end, and attach the resulting log and sterr/stout files for public viewing. So something like: "C:\Program Files\dominions3\dom3" -ddddd (with the quotes as they appear)

I cannot promise you'll find any particularly illuminating information that way, though... still, I think it's worth a try, especially if it's just a software issue somewhere.
Old November 14th, 2008, 10:42 PM

First Lieutenant

Illuminated One is on a distinguished road

On Windows you might also run dxdiag.
Either you go to Startmenu->Run and type "dxdiag" in the box that opens and execute. Or you open a console (Found in Accessoires submenu) and type "start dxdiag".
Go through the various pages of the program and run all the test to check if your video and sound card are working correctly.

(Oh, and just to eliminate the most trivial thing have you checked how much free space is left on your hard drive? Allthough windows will probably inform you if it runs out of hard drive memory)
Old November 14th, 2008, 11:43 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Thats usually a good suggestion but I dont think that Dom uses any of the DX abilities. Other than the fact that dxdiag might report some problems with your graphics card.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old November 15th, 2008, 11:11 AM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Dom3 uses OpenGL, so no, nothing DirectX-related.
Emergency comic relief
Old November 15th, 2008, 02:55 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

You know, I think I had this problem once (or my roommate did), and it was a corrupted video driver causing it - reinstall of the driver fixed it instantly.
Old November 15th, 2008, 05:13 PM

First Lieutenant

Loren is on a distinguished road

My primary suspect would be a memory chip that's loose and not registering.