.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old February 27th, 2009, 08:12 PM

BANNED USER

Trumanator is on a distinguished road
Default Re: EA Arco - uncle moneybags

Well he's said before that all/most of his guides are presuming normal settings (indies 5).
Old February 27th, 2009, 08:28 PM

Second Lieutenant

Redeyes is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baalz
Now, the obvious counter to this sort of thing is anti-SCs equipped with magic items to pop the mistform. So, why not have some of your lovely ladies
Swarm Dragonflies mess Oreiads up if they can get in close, cutting through protection, awe & mistform, all the three common defenses of the Oreiad.

Vine shields is essentially a perfect defense against dragonflies but is too expensive to include in the Oreiads' kit.
Old February 27th, 2009, 08:55 PM

Corporal

analytic_kernel is on a distinguished road

Another interesting guide, Baalz.

In my experience playing with EA Arco, I've also become a big fan of the Oreiad and developed a strat quite similar to what you recommend. Hadn't thought of matching Wyverns with Oreiades though - thanks for the idea.

I do wonder about your suggestion to use buffed Myrmidons though. Myrmidons are slooow, slower than other heavy infantry that I'm aware of. And, with a rcost of 28 (in vanilla) and Sloth 3 scales, its hard to get many of them. For the same rcost (in vanilla), you can get Chariots which are also prot 17, but are much quicker and can trample.
Old February 27th, 2009, 09:17 PM

First Lieutenant

Dragar is on a distinguished road

I recently tried a similar starting strat with arco, but I had the bull with high dominion and no earth. I think Dom 9 and nature 5 from memory. For an awake pretender SC I think you really need to have the dominion push from high dominion, and the extra hit poitns stacked very well with the personal regen I went for first up. Protection is lower but you have awe, so need it less, and with regen and recuperation you can take a few hits.

It possibly has less utility later without the earth, but is dominant early, meaning you have strong dominion all game (promote your good scales and keep bad ones out) and if you happen to die you are only dropping 1 path rather than 2.
Old February 27th, 2009, 10:42 PM

Sergeant

Tichy is on a distinguished road

Hey there -- I did up the white bull. With those scales dom 5 and E4N4 you seem to have 65 points left over.

Am I missing something?

If not, it seems you could either take dom 6 and N5 with 3 points left, or keep dom 5 and get rid of either the cold or death.
Old February 28th, 2009, 09:59 AM

Second Lieutenant

VedalkenBear is on a distinguished road

Tichy: Are you under CBM? I made Baalz's Bull, and had only 6 points left over. (I chose Heat over Death, though.)
Old February 28th, 2009, 10:05 AM

Corporal

Dectilon is on a distinguished road

I haven't played Arco to any reasonable extent, but I've played around with the bull a bit.I bought him some fire and some earth to make him a burning stone statue of death that plants itself in the middle of an enemy army and just sits there. It's not viable to use him on his own later on, sure, but he seemed like a solid chaos-causer to move along with one of your larger armies.

Since he goes for trample he rarely gets into scraps with enemy thugs or SCs. My equipment was usually a ring of regen and a resilience amulet.
Old February 28th, 2009, 10:40 AM

Sergeant

Tichy is on a distinguished road

@Vedalken: I am -- but I think I know what happened. I'm running an older version of CBM (1.3). Gotta update that.

Thanks.
Old February 28th, 2009, 11:05 AM

Colonel

DonCorazon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispedersen View Post
Under CBM cat charm is con-4; under vanilla and ChrisCBM its Con-2. Well worth the investment.
Sorry, I cannot resist comment on this, though its off topic. I think having more than one CBM / having CBMs named after players is unwise. I just imagine a new player reading this guide and going wtf - not only do I have to think about all this stuff including the classic dilemna of CB/plain vanilla, but now there is ChrisCBM, and then who knows what is next, DonCorazonCBM where Cat Charm's are Artifacts? Its like the CBM Tower of Babel. And really, how many MP games are using "ChrisCBM"? Is it really worth the added confusion to post things like this? Also, I don't know the whole history of the CB mod but it seems like QM has spent a lot of time on the mod, and he doesn't even use his name in it. To take it and make some changes and name the whole mod after yourself seems a little over the top IM Very Humble O.
i crossed blades with the mightiest warriors of the golden age. i witnessed with sorrow the schism that led to the passing of legends. now my sword hangs in its scabbard, with nothing but memories to keep it warm.
Old February 28th, 2009, 11:47 AM

Major

Fantomen is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I agree totally with DC. Much better to compile your own changes in a mod, name it something specific (not including the word CBM) and then state that is is meant to be used with CBM. From that point take part in the discussion in the CBM thread and argue for your changes.

Also stop flaunting it all over the place! I think you are trying to buy in on the solid reputation of CBM and the massive work behind it in a very bad way.

Great guide BTW.