.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old April 11th, 2007, 02:34 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Upkeep for summoned units

Not a very good comparison, since the different graphics formats have been standardized. No such standardization in office document file formats. Further, Dom3 requires specific sort of graphics of a standardized format, so choice of the tool you use is irrelevant as long as it can do the job.

The only thing I commented was that MS Office and Open Office are similar, especially if you stick to the basics. Ease and comfort of use vs what you are used to if you switch was not addressed at all. Obviously switching is going to require adjustment, which is awkward and less productive.

I do not fault people for using Excel or wanting to use it, their preferences just differ from mine. PReviously, I did not know how to accommodate Excel users with the DB files regarding some of the data formats, now I do. But I'll not go to extra trouble with a new patch just around the corner. When I've got the DB up to date vs the new patch, THEN I will have incentive to do so.
Old April 11th, 2007, 02:40 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

I'm not comparing them in terms of what /you/ could have done in creating a database because I'm not annoyed /at you/. I'm just annoyed by the problems I have with the unit db. Similarly, if someone wants to make graphics or whatever available in GIMP only format then I'm not going to be annoyed at them, even if they could have released them in .bmp or .jpg. I'd just be generally annoyed that I had to use some new program just to get use out of them.
Old April 11th, 2007, 04:03 AM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Edi said:
I do not fault people for using Excel or wanting to use it, their preferences just differ from mine. PReviously, I did not know how to accommodate Excel users with the DB files regarding some of the data formats, now I do. But I'll not go to extra trouble with a new patch just around the corner. When I've got the DB up to date vs the new patch, THEN I will have incentive to do so.
On this old computer that I use, Excel is markedly faster than OpenOffice (probably because OpenOffice is written in Java, as I understand it), so I exported it. It wasn't that much trouble. I think it does make sense to have this kind of important documentation for a multi-platform game in OpenOffice instead of a Window-only format, but at the same time it took me several weeks to decide that it was worth the hassle of downloading the 100MB install for OpenOffice to view the spreadsheet. I think providing an .xls export of the official .ods spreadsheet would be a courtesy much appreciated by casual players (even if .xls files are huge in comparison to .ods).

Anyway, thanks a lot for maintaining that list. It's very handy. In passing, I've been wondering whether there is any flag to show whether a unit is recruitable and/or capital-only? I can't find a column that seems to indicate that; I'm trying to find a new favorite nation and good recruitable-anywhere mages is my top criterion.

-Max

P.S. By "it wasn't that much trouble," I wasn't criticizing Edi for not already having done it. On the contrary, I meant that even if Edi didn't provide .xls it wouldn't be a tremendously big deal, although obviously it's very nice if it is provided.

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]
Old April 11th, 2007, 04:34 AM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
vfb said:
Please grab Edi's spreadsheet from the Units, Weapons, Armor link in his sig.

Recruits and Summons: the "Cost Gold" column determines maintenance, at (Cost Gold)/15

Mercenaries: the maintenance is zero

Pretender: I have no idea if you have to pay maintenance on your pretender

I think it would be nice if "Cost" and "Maintenance" could be added to the "Hit Points" window so that it looks like this:

Hit Points: 10
Size: 2
Cost: 24
Maintenance: 24 / 15
Don't forget sacred units are divide by 30 instead of 15.
Old April 11th, 2007, 04:38 AM

You should have a page named ArmyList in the DB (last page, iirc), which lists pretender selection, recruitable unit selection and recruitable commander selection by unit number for each nation and that has mentions of capital only. The main display page does not, because it is intended only to list the units (all of them), not make any distinction between national recruitments. It would be further complicated by some units being available to more than one nation (e.g. all non-sacred EA Van infantry are both Vanheim and Helheim units).

It would be possible to make display pages for all the different nations (too much work, really) or for all the different eras and only include the unit numbers for units that are in. If something belongs to multiple nations, have it there several times. Then add a nation column and enter that data there by hardcoding. The downside would be another large number of data retrieval from arrays, which increases file size and number of calculations and slows things down even more. So I'd rather not do it. At least not the whole display. Maybe unit ID, name and nation + capital only status and do it per era, then sort by nation.

I was figuring on doing everything in OO for the next version and then doing an export to Excel when that was ready.
Old April 11th, 2007, 03:27 PM

Second Lieutenant

mivayan is on a distinguished road

If all you want to know is the upkeep, I made a little text file with unit number, name, gold cost, resource cost, sacred-or-not, upkeep.

I copied some columns from Dom3_DB_WeaponsArmorUnits_RC-1_0.ods, added the upkeep formula, and saved as a .csv file. Hope Edi doesn't mind.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 510795-units_upkeep.csv.zip (20.6 KB, 224 views)
Old April 11th, 2007, 06:16 PM

Private

Wyehl is on a distinguished road

Interesting. I had thought I recalled someone saying that Davana's were 20 gold a turn upkeep. But the text file lists it as 0 upkeep. Anyone know for sure which is correct ?
Old April 11th, 2007, 06:43 PM

No, I don't mind. After all, I did not have direct upkeep info in the DB.

Davanas are 0 upkeep, Mandaha's are 20 (would be 40 if they were not sacred).
Old April 11th, 2007, 09:45 PM

Private

UncleYee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
mivayan said:
If all you want to know is the upkeep, I made a little text file with unit number, name, gold cost, resource cost, sacred-or-not, upkeep.

I copied some columns from Dom3_DB_WeaponsArmorUnits_RC-1_0.ods, added the upkeep formula, and saved as a .csv file. Hope Edi doesn't mind.
Thanks for the file! Very helpful.
Old October 26th, 2009, 04:00 PM

Corporal

PyroStock is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Upkeep for summoned units

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamabeast View Post
I just read somewhere (Sunray's Dom2 page, in fact) that other summons, like black hawks, also cost upkeep.
Edi's DB states black hawks and great hawks cost no gold (and therefore no upkeep) now. Did a recent patch change the hawks and if not how much is the upkeep for both?