.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old January 11th, 2012, 05:27 PM

Second Lieutenant

JonBrave is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Murdering Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyweiser View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olm View Post
btw. do wolven winters stack? Can i change heat 3 to cold 3 by two wolven winters?
- The scales effects of spells stack.
Hmm, I'm surprised you say this (though I don't doubt you!). I thought the general point I could rely on is same-spells-don't-stack. Since there are so many situations, how can you know which do and which do not?
Old January 11th, 2012, 06:01 PM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road

Well those are ritual spells. Casting summon crazy monster twice gives 2 crazy monsters right? The same with ritual scale adjustment spells. 2 wolven winters make cold 3 out of heat 3. 2 astral star curse spells from who I forgot the name reduce the luck of a province to -3. Etc.
http://wolfsbane.alwaysdata.net/Spells.html
Test stuff, use the debug mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453
Old January 11th, 2012, 06:30 PM

Second Lieutenant

JonBrave is on a distinguished road

Errr, OK, if you put it like that...
OK, so Rituals are each separate. Whereas battlefield ones are more the ones I was thinking of, I guess.
Thank you!
Old January 11th, 2012, 07:45 PM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road

Well, frozen heart spam is cumulative, but gaining elemental resistances mostly do not stack.
http://wolfsbane.alwaysdata.net/Spells.html
Test stuff, use the debug mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453
Old January 19th, 2013, 09:57 AM

Corporal

Vishniac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeff View Post
It is randomly either in caster ID order or reverse ID order, which is effectively random for most purposes. There are ways to abuse this, of course.
I'd like more info about this ID thing as I want to abuse it.
Thanks!
Old January 19th, 2013, 10:50 AM

First Lieutenant

bbz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeff View Post
There are ways to abuse this, of course.
As casting 2 wolven winters and the murdering winter in between.
btw. do wolven winters stack? Can i change heat 3 to cold 3 by two wolven winters?
And another question: Is murdering winter affected by season? As being most effective in winter?
I think this is what they meant by abusing it. At the cost of an extra wolven winter instead of just 1 you get 100% chance to increase the effect of the costly murdering winter.

Anyways you can see which units have higher ID's imporcance in one city. So when you click inside the army setup screen commanders are sorted by their ID number from top to bottom.

Also, as you might know already, in actual combat they will cast their spells by that order(from top to bottom) not "randomly" as they would casting ritual spells.

I'd also be interested to know if you can use/abuse that "random" order in casting global spells, or forging unique items.(maybe its possible to order the mage with highest ID and the mage with lowest ID to forge an important unique artifact(I don't think it will be worth it but there might be certain situations) to make sure that someone else doesn't forge it before you do.( not sure if the ID's are shared between all the players)

Some more info regarding the ID from a veteran player would be appreciated(or if it would be possible to use it the way I mentioned in the last paragraph)

So there are several questions here:

1.Is there any way you can see the exact ID number of your commander/troop?

2.How exactly are units given their ID numbers(is it decided by the turn and time that you buy it?)

3.Is the casting of ritual/forging "random" between the nations in the same way as it is inside one nation.
clarification: if Nation 1 and Nation 2 have 3 mages each.assuming the ID is shared between the nations(which might not be true).
Mages with ID 1,3,5 is from Nation 1 and mages with ID 2,4,6 are from Nation 2.

When it comes to lets say forging a uniqe item. Given that nation 2 will use Mage ID 2 to forge the item. Can nation 1 ensure getting the item by forging it with Mage ID 1 and with Mage ID 5 at the same time? (thus no matter which way around the forging starts Nation 1 is always the first to forge it)

If that is so this can be used in many ways.

Last edited by bbz; January 19th, 2013 at 11:02 AM..
Old January 19th, 2013, 11:21 AM

Private

Man with No Name is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbz View Post
... or forging unique items.(maybe its possible to order the mage with highest ID and the mage with lowest ID to forge an important unique artifact(I don't think it will be worth it but there might be certain situations) to make sure that someone else doesn't forge it before you do.( not sure if the ID's are shared between all the players)
Yes, you can increase the chances of successfully forging artefacts by double forging them with a low/high ID mage. Of course this doesn't guarantee success unless the two mages are both the highest and lowest ID-ed mages in the game respectively. As if another player forges the same artefact with a lower or higher ID-ed mage than you did (depending on the order the turn resolution was resolved that turn), then they would be the one who forged the artefact successfully.

The same mechanics apply for summoning unique monsters.

RE: Wolven Winter in particular.

One common bit of misinfomation regarding this spell, and in relation to abusing ID orders, is that if you are planning to launch a ritual attack, lets say Cloud Trapezing a thug onto a coldblooded C'tis lizard army. Then you will sometimes see advice that says you should try to have a Wolven Winter caster on either side of the Cloud Trapezing thug. The idea being that this will guarantee that at least one Wolven Winter will be cast before the fight regardless of whether the turn is resolved high-low or low-high. But there are two errors in that analysis :-

1 - All rituals are cast before combat from rituals takes place (apart from remote assassination spells which are resolved instantly)

2 - Wolven Winter is a spell that simulates an in-game event. Therefore while it is cast in the ritual phase, the effects of the spell do not occur until the event phase. Meaning the temperature scales will not have changed when the ritual battle occured. This is one of the most common and false arguments used in discussions relating to coldblooded units. (eg. "coldblooded units are useless as you just have to cast Wolven Winter and drop a SC on them".)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Man with No Name For This Useful Post:
Old January 19th, 2013, 11:22 AM

First Lieutenant

edit: ninja'd but ye thanks for the confirmation.

After some testing I think the speculation that I mentioned might be true.
After 10 tests the results were that every single one of them the ID ordering I assumed was true.

The tests were: Nation 1 with Awake Cyclops with earth 9.buys some commanders but that is all.

Nation 2 summons several debug sensei(unit with 9 in all magic paths)(I use debug mod for most of my tests)

Couple of turns later (and wishing for gems)

Nation 1 summons 1 last debug sensei

Then the casting begins: Nation 1 orders Cyclops and debug sensei to cast: riches from beneath. Same turn Nation 2 uses 1 debug sensei to cast riches from beneath but with some extra gems to ensure override.

Result: Nation 1 is always casts riches 1st either with Cyclops(presumably one of the first ID numbers) or with debug sensei (presumably one of the last ID numbers)
Then nation 2 casts riches with its own debug sensei(presumably some middle ID number)
It overrides the current riches.
Then nation 1 casts riches again with the commander or the cyclops depending on who cast the spell at the first time.

This means that you can almost ensure casitng of a global/forging as long as you have awake pretender with the required magic and a you can buy/summon mage with the magic.

Last edited by bbz; January 19th, 2013 at 11:32 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bbz For This Useful Post:
Old January 19th, 2013, 11:44 AM

Private

Man with No Name is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Some more info regarding the ID from a veteran player would be appreciated(or if it would be possible to use it the way I mentioned in the last paragraph)

So there are several questions here:

1.Is there any way you can see the exact ID number of your commander/troop?

2.How exactly are units given their ID numbers(is it decided by the turn and time that you buy it?)

3.Is the casting of ritual/forging "random" between the nations in the same way as it is inside one nation.
1 - Not from in-game. You can get a unit's ID (known as unit number) from the log file. Look for an early entry that looks like this

deploy_side 4673

The 4673 will be that unit's unit number. (and will be referenced in later log entries as either 4673 or unr4673)

2 - Units are assigned a unit number the first moment they appear in the game. So that is the point they are summoned or recruited. AFAIK this unit number never changes for the life of that unit. But when a unit dies, their unit number is freed up for future use. That is to say a unit does not keep its unit number after it has died.

It appears that units are assigned the lowest possible free unit number available at the time. Which is why your sometimes see newly bought mages appearing at the top of your mage list. Which indicates that mage has been assigned a unit number of a previously dead unit, as this unit number has now been freed up for re-use by that units death. Proper testing would be required to confirm this though, but it does both match and explain what regularly happens in games.

3 - Nations are irrelevant when it comes to the turn resolution squence. All that matters are the unit numbers. If the turn is resolved low-high then the unit with unr1 acts first, followed by unr2, then unr3 etc etc. And vice versa for high-low. It does not matter which nations these units belong to, as that plays no part in the turn resolution.

(Disclaimer - The above answers are correct to the best of my knowledge. If someone has tests to show otherwise though, then please post them, as all the community would benefit from seeing them and help bring understanding to a rather unclear/high guesswork, aspect of the game)

Quote:
clarification: if Nation 1 and Nation 2 have 3 mages each.assuming the ID is shared between the nations(which might not be true).
Mages with ID 1,3,5 is from Nation 1 and mages with ID 2,4,6 are from Nation 2.

When it comes to lets say forging a uniqe item. Given that nation 2 will use Mage ID 2 to forge the item. Can nation 1 ensure getting the item by forging it with Mage ID 1 and with Mage ID 5 at the same time? (thus no matter which way around the forging starts Nation 1 is always the first to forge it)

If that is so this can be used in many ways.
I think my answer to 3 clarifies and answers the above. Although please say if there is anything that your are still uncertain about.
The Following User Says Thank You to Man with No Name For This Useful Post:
Old January 19th, 2013, 12:10 PM

First Lieutenant

Thanks a lot for the nice info