BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old June 3rd, 2021, 02:16 PM

Private

krmiller is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Install Problem, no. Possible graphic card conflict

Old pc died, had to get a new one. When I installed SPWW2 I am having trouble getting it to load properly. Thinking maybe I don't have everything installed. I have the Full CD package, V 10.01 CD (2017).
Going to reinstall but want to make sure I do it right this time.
What updates should I be installing after the 10.01 ?

Last edited by krmiller; June 19th, 2021 at 09:59 AM..
Old June 3rd, 2021, 02:57 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Install Problem

Just one

winSPWW2 V14 Upgrade (2021):
The V14 Patch updates winSPWW2 Version 9 and up to Version 14

Just make sure the patch goes in the same place as the game

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; June 3rd, 2021 at 03:09 PM..
Old June 3rd, 2021, 10:46 PM

Private

My new pc is an i5 with 8 GB memory running Win 10 build 19041 with a Nvidia GTX1650 with 1 GB memory, my current monitor supports display up to 1680x1050 according to the settings.

I installed in D:\Shrapnel Games\The Camo Workshop\SPWW2
winSPWW2 V10.01-CD(2017)
winSPWW2 Ver9-Ver14 Consolidation Upgrade(2021)
Set it to Run as Administrator

Help shows Version: March 2021

With my Display at 1650x1080 if I run it in Full Screen, Direct X it works fine for a while, then it will suddenly minimize itself, when I attempt to restore it is scrambled and even though I can make out some of the buttons they no longer work. I have to close it from the task bar or with Task Manager. It ran fine this way in my old duo core.

If I run it in Windowed, Direct X it works until I get to 1182x864, but I am using less than the full screen. Beyond that the game screen is blurry and the buttons don't work.

In Desktop Window mode the game screen is not desktop size, it takes up about the middle 1/3 of the screen and is cut into two diagonal displays and again the buttons don't work. Even tried reducing my Display Setting but trying to use Desktop results in the same thing regardless of Display setting.

Tried running Windows compatibility tester, it set it for Win 8, I then tried setting it for compatibility for XP and Win 7, makes no difference.

The game worked fine in full screen on my old core duo machine and I'm using the same monitor I used with it. I wouldn't mind playing in windowed mode if it filled the screen, using 1/3 of a 20 inch monitor is a bit ridiculous, was bigger on my old 14" crt monitor.

Any other suggestions ?
Old June 3rd, 2021, 11:57 PM

Major

Thanked 1,053 Times in 619 Posts
RetLT is on a distinguished road

Is this the free version or the CD?

I had the same problem with the free version. It worked for years on my old computer but could not keep control of the screen on my new one.

After two decades of freeloading I finally broke down and bought both WW2 and MBT.
The Following User Says Thank You to RetLT For This Useful Post:
Old June 4th, 2021, 05:27 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

We have had plenty of folk saying that they use the game with monitor sizes much greater than 1080i with no problem whatsoever.

Try setting your windows screen size to say 1920x1080 mode and then run the game in windowed mode at desktop resolution. If it works, and it should at that resolution since it's what I use, then up the monitor resolution one step and repeat.

It may well be that particular x/y ratios with your graphic card will work and others may not. Some of the monitor resolutions will appear "squished" so you will have to find the combinations that work properly off the ones your graphics card offer.

My current computer with intel integrated graphics works fine on 1920x1080 mode, but leaves a small band of ~4 pixels unused on the left and right of the game window. The previous one used the whole screen just fine, using the exact same monitor. Graphics cards do different things, unfortunately. Some may allow full-screen mode in 256 colour mode, others will scramble the palette if you try (which your one seems to). That is why full-screen mode is no longer "supported" - windowed mode is more successful due to its using the windows full-colour palettte.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old June 4th, 2021, 07:25 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

A suggestion that may work for you. Right near the start of the Game guide in the Game requirements section are links to DL Borderless Gaming. It will give you full screen/windowed. I have used it to see how it works and for anyone who prefers not seeing the taskbar while playing it solves the problem and I have the same issue Andy has with a small band of ~4 pixels unused on the left and right of the game window which doesn't bother me but Borderless Gaming does eliminate that.

After you've tried the other suggestions. Try that. These issues crop up occasionally and why is a mystery but I know there are people running the game with much higher resolutions than yours and running multiple screens. My machine uses an Intel Core i3 2130 @ 3.40GHz with 6.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz with a Samsung S22C300 (1920x1080@60Hz)

The latest version of Borderless Gaming can be found HERE

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; June 4th, 2021 at 10:13 AM..
Old June 4th, 2021, 08:13 AM

First Lieutenant

zovs66 is on a distinguished road

I normally use 3840 x 2160 and have no issues (no issues either (other than my old eyes) at 5120 x 2880).

Caveat I have a 4k monitor and for Windows 10 a custom scale factor was set to 350% and the 3840 x 2160 looks splendid for my eyes.

So no help here, but I don't think screen size is an issue.

Occasionally with some games I have to right click on the exe and select 'Properties' and then in the dialog box select 'Compatibility' and then click the 'Change high DPI settings' and then checkmark on 'Override high DPI scaling' and (for myself) select 'System' from the dropdown. I have had to do this mostly on games where the developers added in high DPI support as the default settings makes the windows and games way to tiny to see.

YMMV
Old June 4th, 2021, 10:34 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Just a shot in the dark but have you checked for updated drivers for your old monitor to work with your new computer?

Old June 4th, 2021, 12:55 PM

Private

Default Re: Install Problem, no. Probably graphic card conflict

I checked for updated Win 10/64 drivers for both and installed them, makes no difference. It appears to be a conflict between the game, the NVidia GEForce GTX 1650 and the monitor. Since I used the LG monitor on my old pc with an older Radeon graphic card I don't believe it is that.

To be sure I copied the installation folder onto a jump drive, was able to run the game on my laptop at Windowed Desktop setting with no problem, it ran at 1920x1080 display setting ok. So I guess if I want to play the game I will use that method for now.

I have only installed a few games onto the new pc so wondering what other games may have problems with the GTX. May have to consider going back to my old Radeon in the new pc if it affects too many games.
Old June 4th, 2021, 03:13 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

That GEFORCE GTX 1650 claims it's " a supercharger for today’s most popular games" so it might be too much for the older games though I would be interested in hearing if anyone else uses it with these games with or without trouble.

If you do start having trouble with other games as well you might try Nvidia customer support which is bound to have more experience with those graphics and older games .

Good you got it running on the laptop but it's not as good a game experience as a PC. Good luck and let us know if you get a breakthrough