BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old November 23rd, 2020, 05:26 PM

BANNED USER

Karagin is on a distinguished road
Default Old question Issue

Why does the game default all units to the road hexes?

For example, I have Marder the I want to move 7 hexes to be behind a building 10 hexes away from the start point is a road hex. I click on the hex I want, and the unit moves instead to the damn road hex, and four shies of that, it's blown to king come by a T-72.

It is very annoying that the game will default a unit to the closest road hexes vs. where the player tells it to go. Is there a way to remove this default either as a toggle or out of the game altogether? Since the undo feature WON'T let you back up from a combat kill or if the unit has taken fire, it is very annoying to lose a unit to this when it was NOT the input given. And yes, I am sure I will get the "fog of war," etc..answer to why this happens, but it happens in far too many battles and scenarios to just be that.
Old November 23rd, 2020, 06:13 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Old question Issue

Are you talking about the pathfinding algorithm here?

If so, if you give a unit a multi-hex move by clicking on a hex a lon way away, it will use the least-cost path. Roads and similar cost least MP so it will gravitate to them to get where you told it to go.

Therefore if terrain masking is important, it is best to go hex-by hex and do it yourself, not to rely on the pathfinging algorithm. I only rely on thta when in the rear or behind a hill from the enemy etc.
Old November 23rd, 2020, 07:45 PM

BANNED USER

I guess I am, moving OUT the line of fire to cover some how the program moved INTO the line of fire since as you said it defaulted to a the clear choice of a road that was NOT anywhere near where it needed to go.

I get the idea that roads are clear terrain and thus offer that, but the algorithm seems a bit screwy if it's going to always default to moving towards clear terrain. In this case the terrain was clear all the way to hex behind the building and yet again the unit went off on it's own path right into the path of fire I was moving it out of. And 7 hex move is not a looong path, not to me, long is 10 or more. And seeing how moving one or two had already cost me one Marder, why would I do that again?
Old November 23rd, 2020, 07:56 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

The AI will always look for the easiest way between A and B and when you click multiple hexes away from where you are it will search for the fastest way to get there. If you don't want to be surprised only move 2-3 hexes at a time

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old November 23rd, 2020, 10:04 PM

BANNED USER

Did you miss the part about doing that, moving 2-3 cost me one IFV already? So logic would say un-*** the AO time now, which I did with the remaining one, and oh look the AI drove it RIGHT into gun sights of the T-72.

All I am asking is there a way to possibly have the AI NOT be so uhmm asinine in how it predicts paths? It is as if speed is not even calculated into how things get hit, whereas a fast-moving target is not something that is easy to hit.
Old November 23rd, 2020, 10:08 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Then do as I suggested - move one hex at a time, not multiples when which hex you choose is vital. The pathfinding algorithm only applies for requested moves >1 hex.
Old November 23rd, 2020, 10:39 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karagin View Post
Did you miss the part about doing that, moving 2-3 cost me one IFV already?
Yeah I guess I did because at no time before Post #5 did you mention anything about moving 2-3 hexes. You may think you did but you did not and regardless, Andy already told you when you have critical moves to only move one hex at a time.

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old November 24th, 2020, 02:24 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,235 Times in 923 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Old question Issue

I did that when I first started playing thinking it a "shortcut" to move my units from point A to B. It only took a couple of units lost to realize that wasn't a good idea.

Whenever I get the urge to do that for a variety of reasons, I think of water, that always seeks the path of least resistance. At that point I study the map and like the chess player I am, I look to see what's around me and across the board. Then my path of least resistance is the one that gets my unit(s) where I want them as safe as possible.

There is a time to be aggressive in this game once the battle is joined, however, I seek the "high ground" and ambush positions until that point. You gotta respect that LOS.

"Patience is a virtue" when the enemy seeks to reduce your points by any means available.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; November 24th, 2020 at 12:27 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old November 24th, 2020, 04:32 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karagin View Post
but it happens in far too many battles and scenarios to just be that.
Why do you keep doing it and expecting a different result?
Old November 24th, 2020, 07:08 PM

BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTBOAT TOUGH View Post

There is a time to be aggressive in this game once the battle is joined, however, I seek the "high ground" and ambush positions until that point. You gotta respect that LOS.

"Patience is a virtue" when the enemy seeks to reduce your points by any means available.

Regards,
Pat
See I was trying to get to a point where I could use the cover of buildings and the bloody game said hey let's move INTO the LOS of the T-72 even more vs doing what I plotted. It's annoying and frankly in my opinion SHOULD NOT be a default, but hey it is what it is.