.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > After Action Reports
Notices

Old May 12th, 2010, 11:36 AM

Private

Render is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Strangest examples of good or bad luck?

After I got over the shock I kinda figgered that's what had happened. I'm sure at least some of those salvos had landed elsewhere on the map, but all I remember is all of the salvos that landed right in the middle of my carefully laid out parking lot. Not a single unit left untouched. HQ, FO's, all of the minesweeper tanks, all gone in one barrage. Poof.

Ironically I had no on-board arty. Just off board 105's, 155's and a lot of air (20+ missions). Half the air was unarmed recon, the other half all PGM's. Planned to spend as many as twenty turns laying waste to the AI defenses with stand-off air while reserving all of the arty for counter-battery before I moved a single unit.

I still have that set-up saved on my XP machine.

Replaying it later I noticed that at some point in that first twenty turn air strike phase that the AI had started firing intense concentrations inside its own area, pounding on its own units. Even though my entire unit was still in its parking lot behind the mountain.

I've since seen that (both) happen with other similar set-ups. But that first time was quite a shock.

ADVANCED
SQUAD
LEADER
SURVIVOR,
R
Old May 12th, 2010, 03:22 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Bad luck that turned out to be good.

Managed to get a small force down a flank & started reaping havoc on arty parks.
An armoured ammo carrier was hit by several autocannons & one tank round but dont think even managed to cause any damage.
Its routed & decides to run picking a sensible route towards a road that runs through some trees diagonaly to the front lines, all opfire misses its 1 hex dash to cover then its good luck comes to an end.
It appears running down the road through a break in the trees & a tank finaly puts a shot in it. About time I am thinking then it blow up so does an enemy APC followed by clink clink.......
Seems my force was just about to be attacked but he had to cancel it as his force was to badly suppressed.
Old February 18th, 2011, 12:34 PM

Private

Captain Napalm is on a distinguished road

I love these game so much... There are so many anecdotes but of thousands of hours of entertainment still only a few stand out after all years.

Well first one must say that under the category bad luck is the countless numbers of frustrations and aggression against the earlier games when you try to keep your units in cover and your unit take a shortcut through the open. No matter of low hit percentage the drivers fault is almost always rewarded with a burning vehicle.

My maps was always marked by burning vehicles whose drivers thought that shortcuts were good. I mean yes, I try to micro-management through dangerous areas but after hours of gaming it will happen when I least expect it would.

Frustration is when "stupidity deaths" drains my forces. Maybe 70% of losses is due to a mistake.

Bad Luck: USMC vs China late 90's.
I am steam-rolling the enemy and slaughter for points as there is only a few turns left, and all victory locations is under my possession. Enemy squads are running and I pursue them with two Abrams. I go up a slope to a clean, large hill with only one dot of trees and suddenly my M1 stops and pour smoke K.I.A. First major loss. I sneak up with the second to try to find out where and what the fire came from. It too explodes after being hit. WHAT!!!
AS my infantry is tied down with dirty business I loosen up a platoon of 4 Amtracs and two other Abrams to Combat Assault the hill. One Amtrac as soon as it gets close to the others also burns with crew escaping. W*F! Im loosing points fast and I don't know to what.

I scan the area. No trace of incoming enemy fire, no mines, no nothing except the HUMPF! of my vehicle detonating. I spray the open surrounding (500m to nearest tree line)and inch an Abram and Amtrac forward. Suddenly: Surprise!! the Amtrac goes up. My Abrams reacts and shoots back somewhere close by but gets it. The crew bails out and now through the smoke I realize that on this hill with its flat surface, there is a small one level depression. In this depressions there is one piece of heavy wood and inside this is; one routed squad of Chinese infantrymen covered in smoke with RPGs. Problem is that as it is a depression I cant get LOS until I'm at the edge so I cant suppress them (the trees almost covered the hole fooling me thinking ground was level). And as such I cant assault them either as the result is now predictable. I cant call down arty as it takes to long time and lacks precision. But wait, maybe they are getting tired and suppressed? So if I continue to assault them they want have any actions left and break?

Wrong.

Several Amtracs and 4 Abrams later I realize that in my fury and frustration I carried out a standard "AI" attack resulting me re-loading the game bitterly loosing 25 turns of success.

LUCK: Korean Campaign SP2

There is heavy fighting going on at the front. I loose one of my most experienced tanks but crew survives and pulls back. To rescue them I go up with a Jeep and get them, turn around and speed back over some kilometer of open field to safety closely followed by MG fire. Then there is a new turn and all hell breaks loose.

From the air three MiG-15 comes diving down one after the other. Of course they ignore all targets like tanks and infantry at the front and goes after my jeep driving in full speed. For two turns they produce a long 800m trail of smoke and debris as they shoot it up with rockets and gunfire.

I couldn't do any thing accept continue driving at in a strait angle watching the planes roll in and shoot. Amazingly the jeep survived without a scratch. It was pure Holly Wood. I later realized that after the first run the rest of the Migs where following the same race pattern and actually fired blind trough the line of smoke.

Korea II:

It was a quiet drive to the front line as the army advanced towards their objectives and then on turn 4 the N.Korean struck, absolutely pumping in airplanes and Migs, Il's and Yak's descended on my assault line. I had three M16 AA halftracks who criss crossed the map with tracers and burning planes where falling everywhere. I have been playing this game a lot in all periods but I have never downed eight aircrafts in one turn. It was ludicrous, planes spinning to the left and right and the M16s quad 50's just worked over time.

/ Stefan
Old March 22nd, 2011, 12:01 PM

Private

Zardoz is on a distinguished road

With SP MBT

Good Luck
A German MG squad (4 men without any AT weapons) dug in forest stopped a whole Russian infantry platoon and knocked out 4 BMP in close assaults. Later on they surrenderd unfortunately.
Old March 28th, 2011, 08:50 AM

Second Lieutenant

SaS TrooP is on a distinguished road

Random mission, British advance on Syrians + allies, Challenger deployed VIRRS smoke, but it was hit from ATGM anyway (1% chance) and knocked out (critical hit)

'89, Danish defence against Polish assault. One M41DK with TI/GSR finished more than 4 T-72M1 tanks, dozen of APCs, circa ~60 dismounted infantrymen. Tank used its whole ammo for the main gun and was running of MGs ammunition, but I ordered him to retreat (he was deep behind enemy lines after all!). He survived crazy ride through enemy tanks and Shilkas, to finally participate as flag taker in counterattack. Yes, he survived.
Old February 19th, 2012, 09:46 PM

Private

Delta Wing is on a distinguished road

A single sniper succesfully assaulted a T-72 which drove next to it. It must have been like a scene from a bad action movie.

In a Finland vs Russia game the Russian AI once blasted a small village which could have been a good deployment zone with a huge TOS-1 barrage. I didn't have any units there at the moment. The Buratinos revealed themselves in the process and were then taken out by my own artillery.

I haven't had any really catastrophic luck. Some annoying friendly fire incidents with either aircraft or artillery. Worst was when an uncannily succesful mortar barrage from the enemy wiped out one of my infantry company HQs and a very experienced HMG team.
Old February 20th, 2012, 04:32 AM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road

@Delta Wing: about the sniper it happened to me 3 times in total (2 separate times I was the attacker and my victims were a T-72 and a T-64, and in another game in 1948 Golan my Renault ft17 fell victim to an Israeli sniper). Somehow a guy with a scoped rifle and a couple of grenades is an effective tank buster...