.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > After Action Reports
Notices

Old December 6th, 2011, 03:14 PM

Sergeant

runequester is on a distinguished road
Default Reflections. 1947 USSR campaign

Last night I made it to 1947 in my on-going campaign.

Some changes and upheavals in my core. Following advice given here, I added a section of 3 57mm guns to each infantry company. Their primary purpose is to fend off half tracks, but they've also come in handy for dealing with Chaffee's and even some lucky shots against Sherman's and Hellcats. The fact they can maneuver into position helps too. I'll have to decide what to do with them later on.

Added a "super scout" section of 3 T34/76, with a sapper section riding each (SMG and satchel charges). They'll pretty much be for getting into trouble, though in the last game they managed to do a pretty nice ambush against a Sherman platoon.

The first section in each infantry platoon is now SMG equipped. THe first battle of 1947 is heavy, dense woods so I imagine that might be an investment well worth making.

My tank force is mostly T54-1's by now. I basically upgrade them as they get destroyed, so there's still a few T44 hanging around. They absolutely dominate over the Shermans. Fighting Centurions is a fairly even bet, but I can't say I have been disappointed in these guys ever.

I have been getting a rather large amount of battles against the French, even though they were the third selection for opponent. I guess the overall offensive is going rather well
Their tank forces are usually easily defeated, whereas the Brit's are a tougher bet.
American infantry tend to be quite tough. M1 rifles are a significant help, and they tend to have plenty of bazookas around. While the T54 will survive a hit more often than not, it means you can't be as cavalier with your tanks as you might otherwise like.

As an aside, I figured I'd check on my commanders and how they are doing. My A0, Ivanenko is currently at Rally 81, Experience 74, Morale 88, Inf command 70, Art command 69, Arm command 45.
His rank is given as "Pdplkvnk". Any idea what that stands for?

We always referred to Ivanenko as "the big bear". The guy was huge but we all trusted him. He spoke in a soft manner that was odd for a man of such battle experience, but when an order was given, we all rushed as quick as we could. He also tended to enjoy the finer things in life. It wasn't unusual to find bottles of nice wine in his head quarters.

First company is led by Kapitan Utesov. Rally 73, Exp 84, Morale 85, Inf command 74

Utesov had come from a background of high party members. While we didn't doubt his bravery, some of the Ukrainians saw him as yet another Moscowite. It didn't help that everyone knew he was eager for promotion and recognition. First company was always the assault force. "First in and probably not out" was the motto, at least while the political officer wasn't around or you'd be washing the trucks for a week! That being said, he was a likable man, and it was hard not to follow him

Second company is led by Kapitan Volkov (who happens to be a GAZ truck after casualties in an earlier battle.. I guess he decided mobility was important)
Rally 81, Experience 70, Morale 83, Inf command 36 (ugh)

Comrade Captain Volkov is another of the cornerstones of our battalion. He took a shell splinter to the leg in Germany but managed to stay with the battalion, though he has been confined to his truck recently. He's a good leader of men, but he often must rely on his subordinates for day to day decisions, something that along with his well known liberal views, cannot be earning him friends in high places. That said, he is a devoted and dedicated communist and we trust him because he came from the ranks

Third company is Major Ryleev. Rally 66, Experience 90, Morale 82, Inf command 61.
Not as much of a soothing voice, but hard as nails (7 kills for this section)

An eternal optimist and a quietly religious man, Comrade Ryleev is a man possessed. Possibly because third company tends to perform flanking and reinforcing attacks, he has an almost fanatical drive to destroy the enemy. While nobody denies he knows his craft, we're all concerned when he leads an attack

The battalion weapons section is commanded by Kapitan Koshkin. He haven't seen much action, leaving him at Rally 66, Exp 69, Morale 89, Inf command 74.

Ah yes. Hero Koshkin. Being the commander of our anti tank and mortar sections has left this man convinced the war against the imperialists will be over before he gets to do any of it. We tell him that there's enough capitalists to fight for everyone. He always tells us we'd be nowhere without his guns. I suppose he might be right. Those few who know him well, say he has some grudge against the Americans

The tank company is led by Kapitan Yashin. Rally 53, Exp 77, Morale 73, Arm command 72.

Comrade Captain Yashin is a man who insists on proper address at all times. He has led our tanks to victory many times, and many consider him a technical genius. At night, he is always inspecting our vehicles and talking to the mechanics. He tends to be hard to relate to though. Some say he'd be happier with a tractor than a woman
Old December 7th, 2011, 12:40 AM

Sergeant

Default Re: Reflections. 1947 USSR campaign

We had barely finished celebrations for new years, such as they were, before orders came down. The British were attacking in the Ruhr, and we had to stop them. Somehow the attack had escaped anyones attention, and we were hurled in the path of their attack. Previous encounters with the Tommies usually meant lots of artillery fire and encountering the dreaded Centurions.

Our battalion would be spread out in a rough line, with a company of Albanians bringing up the flank. We appreciated the display of solidarity but quietly, we had our doubts about how capable they would be.

On the other side, the last few months we all received new rifles. Apparently they had been tested quietly since the Great Patriotic War. The new SKS rifle is semi-automatic, like the yanks, and fires a sort of "medium" cartridge. They are quite comfortable and we all felt assured. We had also received crates of a new rocket weapon, similar to the bazookas.

The political officer said we received these, because we were considered for Guard status. Comrade Chenkov said in the previous War, Guard meant you had to fight the hardest enemies.

We move out in 15 minutes. I hope I survive to write again

WIth 48 starting, I figured I'd start on the SKS and RPG2 teams. Yeah, both weren't standard until 49, but prototypes or whatever. I wanted some new toys

Last edited by runequester; December 7th, 2011 at 12:45 AM.. Reason: oops.. I wasn't fighting yanks this time
Old December 8th, 2011, 08:21 PM

Sergeant

scJazz is on a distinguished road

heheh... the Tommies are not going to like the RPGs at all!
Old December 11th, 2011, 03:14 AM

Sergeant

As an aside, the 57mm's earned their keep many times over. I'll post a brief report of the following battle tomorrow once I've slept.