.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > After Action Reports
Notices

Old November 26th, 2019, 09:03 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Scenario 4. Egyptian armor - Six Day War

The posts on this thread got me interested in that scenario so I loaded it and poked around a bit and I noticed it had was using the new T-54/55 Icons I put in and that got me digging around to see what colours the various nations were using on their tanks at the time which lead me to discover that during the 6 days war Isreali tanks were more likely to be closer in colour to the right example rather than the left

But photos from the 1973 Yom Kipper war show the opposite
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image7.png
Views:	523
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	15877   Click image for larger version

Name:	paint 2- 73-Yom Kippur War.png
Views:	501
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	15878  

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old November 26th, 2019, 08:22 PM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

The memorial for the "Yom Kippur" war has the Centurion painted in the "greenish" colour:

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
Old November 26th, 2019, 08:56 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Isreali tank colours have as much conflicting in information as you can possibly get and I have seen colour samples of what is claimed to be the same colour (Israeli Sand Grey) that ranges from a light greenish/ khaki/ gray to a khaki grey. One source will claim in the 6 day war it was the greenish / grey and another will say the grayish Olive Drab dates to the 1956 Sinai War whereas the 1967 and 1973 wars they were "Israeli Sand Grey" then in 82 Israeli Sand Grey went darker similar to what I have the Merkava Mk 4 painted.

Probably all are correct and there were units using one paint and others using a different paint then toss in desert dust and you get a new colour but what you show in that example is the khaki/ Grey version of "Israeli Sand Grey" which seems to be the colours used between 1961 and 1973..... or not.

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old November 27th, 2019, 12:19 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Variations on Israeli Sand Grey from the 60's- 80's using the game palette. All are viable as is the original in the center

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old November 28th, 2019, 11:28 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Exclamation Re: Scenario 4. Egyptian armor - Six Day War

You can see some of the colour variations for the Shermans HERE

Some are more grey, some more green, some more tan but all are variations on tan/grey or green/grey OR tan/green/grey and you can see variations just in two photos of the M51

This is more or less the choice

converted to game palette they look this but at that scale, it does not look much different than the first examples that are solid colours

enlarged shows what the palette breaks those colours down to..

so to "trompe l'oeil" ( fool the eye) using the game palette each of the colours that the original breaks down to needs to be sprinkled onto the Icon which is what was done in the previous examples and they can be more grey or green or tan depending on the proportion for colour sprinkled on.

There are less than 200 colours in the game palette than can be used on an Icon like this so to get subtle variations in colour an Icon builder needs to be "creative" but it DOES stretch the palette quite a bit. When I paint Icons like that I generally use 33% set for both the density and Opacity of the " sprinkling" ( in case anyone wants to give this a try on their own icons.) and then the result has to have the game palette applied and the effect can change depending on if Nearest colour matching or error diffusing dithering is used to apply the palette...sometimes I try both methods then pick the one I like best. What really helps make this work is that shades of grey have the largest representation in the game palette and the human eye does not easily pick out individual pixel differences but tends to blend them together

Just FYI
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image10.png
Views:	463
Size:	2.5 KB
ID:	15880   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image11.png
Views:	471
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	15881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image12.png
Views:	474
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	15882  

Last edited by DRG; November 28th, 2019 at 11:53 AM..
Old November 28th, 2019, 12:21 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Old Tirans and new Tirans painted with the technique detailed above

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post: