This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old January 31st, 2007, 01:58 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road
Default OT: VISTA

Ok, who here is going to go buy this latest MS product? Can your PC even run this bloated POS OS? Is it a POS OS? Is is being sold in a buggy state, or as Microsoft claims, "the most tested peace of software they have ever released."

Is it worth paying $400.00 for? Is is not worth paying $400.00 for? Do we really need it? With Win2k and XP only a few years old, why should we even bother buying Vista?

Given Microsoft's glorious history, would you trust this bit of software on your PC or will you wait until SP 2 comes out?

I am a mixed bag. First I don't think its going to be easy to upgrade, secondly I doubt my computer will run it, and its only 3 years old, and thirdly, I ain't going to pay $400.00 for a bit of software from a company that has a dubious history of releasing crap OS software onto the market, resulting in crashed PC's lost data, and headacks all the while telling people that they upgrade at their own risk.

Nor do I want to run out and buy a new PC just because HP and other have retrofitted some old 2002 junker, gave it a new case, and are now marketing these antiques as Vista Capable ready to use PC's, knowing full well the 99% of them are returned broken, half *** fixed 2002 junkers.

No thanks, I will wait for Vista SP2 or SP3 before risking my data to another Microsaft product upgrade.
Old January 31st, 2007, 02:04 AM

Lieutenant General

Kamog is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: VISTA

Well, I'm not going to upgrade to Vista at this time because I'm OK with using XP. Eventually when I buy a new computer and if it comes with Vista, that's when I'll switch.
Old January 31st, 2007, 02:11 AM

Brigadier General

President_Elect_Shang is on a distinguished road

Screw Vista XP isn't causing me heartburns. In fact I have never had a problem with XP.
Old January 31st, 2007, 02:11 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
NEW YORK — Retailers around the world stayed open through the wee hours of Tuesday morning to sell the long-awaited Windows Vista operating system, even though most knew customers wouldn't be lining up out the door.

At a CompUSA store in Raleigh, only about a dozen people braved temperatures in the upper 20s to be among the first consumers to get Vista, despite free coffee and discounts on other items including printers and recordable DVDs
There is an ancient and often very accurate word for these kind of people... SUCKER

Or as Microsoft says "Caveat Emptor." (Let The buyer beware.)
Old January 31st, 2007, 02:16 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Well you can bet your sweet arse that come the next XP update, XP will be causing many "new" problems. Microsoft will introduce a system destabilizing bug that will cause nothing but massive problems for all XP users thus forcing them to go out and buy VISTA.
Old January 31st, 2007, 02:29 AM

Major General

Randallw is on a distinguished road

End of this year I may buy a new computer, leaning towards yes at the moment. I'm doing well these days what with a new job along with my benefits. I expect it'll have Vista, though I'll keep an eye on it beforehand. I'm a bit anxious actually as I hear horror stories of new computers people buy. My current one doesn't have such problems partly I think because the son of someone my mother knows custom built it. I have an Acer at work which showed me for once what a bad computer can be like.

I wouldn't be staying up all night just to be the first to buy stuff for 3 reasons, off the top of my head.

1. Why spend top dollar when with a bit of restraint and patience you can get it when the cost goes down after the initial bluster.

2. It's just a OS. I will not die if I don't have it, and I am opposed to wasting effort/making more of something beyond realistic standards. Same goes for why I do not go to midnight screenings of movies (but then I hardly bother with cinemas anyway)

3. I control my life. I decide what is important, not get carried away by bluster and hype.
Old January 31st, 2007, 02:29 AM

Lieutenant General

Kamog is on a distinguished road

For many years I used Windows 98 even when XP was available. I was very happy with Windows 98 and it was very stable and rarely had problems. Then I switched to ME which was a mistake. Upgrading from ME to XP was a good move though.
Old January 31st, 2007, 02:57 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

DO NOT BUY AN HP COMPUTER!!! You have been warned! They refurbish older PC's and then sell them as new. I fell prey to this and I sware to God they do this! Not only did it happen to me, but it has happened to many people including my mother most recently. I told her NOT TO BUY AN HP COMPUTER, but she went out and bought one any ways and a week later the CD Rom stopped working. She called it in to their tech support and after giving them the "new" pc's serial number, was asked if she was "so and so." That her PC had been sent in for repair a year earlier.

HP IS CRAP! THEY SELL USED/REFURBISHED COMPUTERS AS NEW COMPUTERS. They just take the old parts out and put them into a new case and then sell them as new models.

Dell. I cannot tell you not to buy a Dell, but one has to wonder if one should buy a computer form a company that can't even spell its name without using a crooked E. I mean if their that dyslexic would you trust them to build you a computer?
Old January 31st, 2007, 02:59 AM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

Is is being sold in a buggy state, or as Microsoft claims, "the most tested peace of software they have ever released."
Yes.

My PC came with ME; its still got a sticker to that effect, but I upgraded to 98, and I've been happy ever since. (Forgiving the hardware issues, such as that powersupply that put out 13v instead of 12v)

As a bonus, all the new exploits simply don't work against it
Old January 31st, 2007, 03:00 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

I am sorry SJ, but isn't moving from ME to 98 a down grade? ME was released in 2000, 98 was released in well, 98.