.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

View Poll Results: Should these nations be banned or not ?
Ban Ryleh LA 6 40.00%
Ban Emor LA 5 33.33%
Ban Ulm MA 4 26.67%
Ban Agartha EA 4 26.67%
Keep Ryleh LA 10 66.67%
Keep Ermor LA 9 60.00%
Keep Ulm MA 7 46.67%
Keep Agartha EA 7 46.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 3rd, 2012, 11:35 PM

First Lieutenant

bbz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Blood Bowl - Single age (Running)

Sure, Ok but since the game is about to end anyways. I am going to reveal myself. I am playing as Fomoria. I got steamrolled by marignon(well the fact that I was fighting 2 -3 nations for the majority of the game didnt help either) But he was more experienced than me and he did really well in using(abusing) mind hunts on my already poor in astral empire.

I am happy to fight some more turns as well but I know where we are heading. It feel like im on the sinking titanic, you just know that it will happen and all you can do is struggle.
Old July 10th, 2012, 01:38 PM

Corporal

KeithZ is on a distinguished road

This is Caelum.

I took only dom 4 to get relatively good scale and an aweken enchantress. Now I'm not able to stop Marignon's dom kill after my temples were brought down one by one.

Sorry guys, I should have done better in the war against Marignon. I made too many mistakes because of my lack of experience in the end game.

Anyway it's good game, I did have some fun and learned a lot.
Old July 10th, 2012, 01:53 PM

First Lieutenant

mattyburn7 is on a distinguished road

I will reveal this. I am NOT Marignon! LOL
Old July 10th, 2012, 03:24 PM

Corporal

Zywack is on a distinguished road

I unfortunately have to reveal the same thing!

Thanks for the fun game bbz and KeithZ! You guys tried your best against the Marignon steamroll and it's going to be the same thing happening to the rest of us soon enough (except worse)...

Unless Marignon hits the "Control 8 capitals and you win the game" clause that's stated in the first post before he has to squish more of us, anyway.

To the Marignon player: Please do state whenever you hit 8 capitals so that we can give you congratulations and move on
Old July 10th, 2012, 08:29 PM

First Lieutenant

Yea It was a fun game, actually the most interesting game I've had so far. Sorry for the stales at the end I kindoff lost all my astral mages and good earth mages so my armies were not as good as they could have been. Also Mari controlled most of my territories and I didnt have a chance of reclaiming them back(and RL required more attention at the time). I will try and submit some sort of quick turns from now on so that you guys dont have to wait for me to stale.
Old July 11th, 2012, 08:04 AM

Corporal

Well, after seeing last turn, I'm officially changing my vote to "Surrender". I mentionned earlier that I could probably give Marignon a few turns of fighting. It turns out I can't even do that. The biggest problems are:

1) While I did fully expect Marignon to carpet bomb with remote spells and that I did have plans in place to counter that... I didn't think they were able to do it on such a large scale, with basically no cost to their resources. And now they'll get even higher income, so...

2) I did have a 'clever' trap laid out. Unfortunately, the trap trigger got blown up without actually triggering the trap, so the main plan went out the window.

3) You know the Cleansing Bell item thingy? The 10 gem anti-demon item? I had the chance to see an handful of them in action this turn for the first time ever! Hurray! Time to see what kind of ravage they can do against demons! And they couldn't even get rid of a few imps... Let's just say that I made a not terribly wise large gem investment.

4) The largest problem is that even defeating Marignon's main armies in battle would do little to help: Their gem/slave production is through the roof, so killing armies only gives a tiny amount of time before they get replaced. Hitting their production is the only way to go, but that's only accomplishable by raiding, and they are definitively able to counter-raid and grab your own production: Even if you can somehow manage a 1-1 trades, things won't be going in your favor. When an empire gets that large, there's no key point to hit that will damage them a lot.

5) They are blood sacrificing for dominion. They are the only nation left that can blood sacrifice (Maybe Bogarus too? I'm not sure...), and even a very strong dominion score isn't going to stop that for long once they get going full-swing.

So that's why I'm joining bbz in the "Let's surrender and move on" movement. As I mentionned a long time ago, it's really inconvenient for me to do my turns during the summer so I'll be glad when this game is over (Although it has been fun). I'm not quitting though: I'll fight until either
A) my nation is dead
B) the surrender happens
C) Marignon gets 8 capitals.
so you don't have to worry. If you feel you still got a shot, go ahead and continue.

Regarding Mind Hunt... I do feel it's a problem in Dominion. I have no issue with the concept of the spell, it's just that I feel that nations without any Astral access are HEAVILY hampered by Mind Hunt. It's pretty much "Get astral or get out", which limits the pool of viable nations end-game unless they manage to get very dominant early on.

In my only other multiplayer game, I replaced a Shinuyama player that left early and somehow managed to salvage the nation from the brink of destruction... The problem is that I had absolutely no Astral access (The god I inherited had a wonderful 2 Dominion strength, 3 fire and 7 death) and I had to face Bandar Log to destroy their temples so that I didn't get dominion-killed.

So out of simple fear of Mind Hunt, I had to trade pretty much my entire gem stockpiles for Nature Gems, just so that I could summon a lot of Kitsune who can occasionally get Astral for the sole purpose of sneaking some inside my main armies. It panned out okay since the Bandar Log player didn't have Mind Hunt researched for a long time, but the simple fact that the threat of the spell existed forced me to diverge a huge amount of resources to try to counter it... And I was lucky that I actually had a nation summon that had a small chance to get astral in the first place.
Old July 11th, 2012, 10:57 AM

First Lieutenant

Yea I dont mind the mind hunt concept as well. I just used my astral mages unwisely and then he took hold of the only province where I could build them and that was a gg form me.
Old July 11th, 2012, 12:33 PM

Corporal

Actually, I got a question about that for a future game! I've seen in a few guides things like "Just use an independent Astral mage to forge amulet of magic resistance", or "Use independent astral mages as a shield from enemy Mind Hunt".

But I fail to see how that's a viable strategy plan. While it's only my 2nd competitive multiplayer game, I've played about 8 cooperative or solo games vs the AI. In those games, I've came across independent Astral mages a grand total of 4 times (And one of those was a 1/4 pick). That number is sliiightly higher if I include those that come from site findable only with astral, but not by much.

So in my experience, you get 1 astral independent mage per about 50 provinces. Am I simply "unlucky", and if not, how can one build their initial strategy upon getting an Astral mage when odds are they'll never get one?
Old July 11th, 2012, 12:45 PM

First Lieutenant

mattyburn7 is on a distinguished road

Since Others have revealed - I am Bogarus.

And since there were some comments on my adventures with Niefel. I will elaborate. Was a fun part of game.

I experienced an early rush from Niefel which was really bad for Bogarus as I did not have an awake pretender and just the crap troops. I needed to get some mages produced and some spells researched quickly. Long story short I did get enough researched to put a hurt on him, but it basically forced me into 1 army. Meanwhile I was getting raided like mad as he could approach from 2 directions.

Where it got fun was when I finally destroyed 2 of his armies and thought I could take the war to him. I did only to find a Niefel army slip in from the other direction and get my capital before I could get back. That led to the most desperate part (which people commented on). I had no temple (Had to protect my only mage that could make a temple). Hardly any money (desertions every turn). I think I was down 2 3 provinces (2 of which had forts). Then in a fortuitous 2 turns I was able to get back my capital after a long siege (destroying an army of his in there), I destroyed another army of his in the field and destroyed a 3rd army that contained his Pretender. back in business! I then marched on his capital destroying another army in the process) and thought he was pretty much done. At that point, AI took over. He got his Pretender called back and had more in the capital than I expected. I had only sent a small army since I wanted to get back to researching and got my butt kicked. THen Marignon moved in and wiped up Niefel.

Twas Fun. Sorry for long post.
Old July 11th, 2012, 09:11 PM

Corporal

See? That shows how mean Marignon is! They went and kill-stealed you!

Well, it sounds like you had a ton of fun, and that's what's important! And I guess we did get to play another game together, although this time we've had absolutely no interaction except for gem trades... Ah well! Maybe either of us will win one someday!

Since things are pretty much in the open and that we know the identity of all the players (except for Marignon which narrows it down a lot), I got a question for Corinthian: Why did you judge my starting position to have been one of the best?

All I could scrounge up was 8 provinces in a tiny peninsula (I could have had a few more without an early troglodyte earthquake and a Bogus killing parts of my army and if I had made fewer mistakes, but I would have gotten 10 at best), hemmed in by T'ien Ch'i, Fomoria and R'Yleh's capital was right on my shore. I wasn't any closer to the corner than Fomoria was (which was juged as an horrible starting location).

I did have a comfy and swell spot when you made your analysis, but the only reason I had it was because it was taken from T'ien Ch'is hand and that R'Yleh was gone. I'm also slightly upset that you mentionned that I was sitting on my *** doing nothing: I've been at war since turn 12 (where R'yleh and me declared war on each other the exact same turn) with about 6 turns of peace in between at most. My wars were incredibly slow and not terribly effective, but I was still actively fighting them