.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old January 8th, 2010, 03:57 PM

First Lieutenant

13lackGu4rd is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Introduce yourself!! :-)

and yet another newbie to help the dominion community grow
I'm a student(as in uni not high school) and a big fan of strategy games(both RTS and TBS). previous TBS games I played include: Civilization(both activision and sid meier's), Heroes of Might and Magic(2 and 3, never got further than that), Total War Series(especially Rome), etc. RTS games I played include: Age of Empires(1 and 2, not 3), Starcraft, Red Alert, Supreme Commander, Axis and Allies, etc.

I've only recently stumbled upon Dominion, from a rather obscure game review on a total war fan site(was on the 6th page or so of game reviews ) it sounded interesting and promising so I got the demo and instantly got hooked. than I found this site, and especially Baalz's guides and now I've ordered the game. should arrive sometime next week(I'm in Europe, not the US) and than I'll finally get to play more than 30 turns and all the nations+eras .

now, if you guys don't mind I'd like to ask for some friendly advise. I usually prefer smaller but more powerful armies, with plenty of magic too. so early era seems like a good place to start, but I'm still at a complete loss as to which nation(s) to start with. tried all the demo ones, but they're all incomplete(all research limited to lvl 4, and of course only 30 turns) and as I said I read all of those guides Baalz put up in his sig, and a few others from other people. so in theory I already understand terms like SC, Thugs, etc. so now all that's left is to pick a few nations to start things out with, and hopefully get good on, so I can take them from single player to multiplayer and join the real fun.
Old January 8th, 2010, 04:12 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

My advice may be different from most, but I'd say don't focus too much, at least at first.

Start up random games, see what you can do with what you get handed. Figure out which ones you like. Play around with early game in a lot of different nations in all three eras.

Read the guides, as it sounds like you've done, and try out the ones that sound interesting. Often for me those only click when they're a different way of playing a nation I'm already familiar with.

Half my SP games get started because someone posts something here that makes me go, "That sounds really cool. I want to try it." (And most of them end when someone does the same for another nation)

But the key is to play around with a bunch of them and find what works well for you and keeps you interested.
Old January 8th, 2010, 07:51 PM

Private

Agent Smith is on a distinguished road

Hey, what do you know, another noob!
I am a student, but still in high school though. And I am enlisted in the U.S. Navy as a Nuclear Technician. Good thing the boats get internet everywhere around the world! Except the middle of the indian ocean. Don't ask me why. Well, I like this game, but like a good number of people here as I'm reading, I am still on the lower part of a pretty steep learning curve. Nothing that just some messing around can't fix eh? I look forward to spending time on this game, should be pretty fun. It also helps that I know a couple of guys who have been playing this game for some time.
Old January 9th, 2010, 06:51 AM

Corporal

Joelz is on a distinguished road

A hearty welcome to all newcomers! Glad to see so many joining in

The learning curve is quite steep indeed, but when you play, you learn. Try reading some of the guides when you have time. They're a great source of information.
If you're confused about some game mechanic or just have some free time in your hands, I recommend checking out the excellent Dominions 3 Wiki at: http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/

Luckily Dominions 3 has been blessed with very polite community, so if you have a question, don't be afraid to ask
Old January 11th, 2010, 05:35 PM

Private

Patolixo is on a distinguished road

Hi folks, another new player chiming in. I have found out about Dominions by accident, I went to the Shrapnel website to get the free version of Strange Adventures in Infinite Space, and stumbled upon the Dominions page. I remembered having good times with Conquest of Elysium a looong time ago, and decided to give the demo a try.

The result: I am completely hooked, and I am anxiously waiting for the game to arrive in the mail, while my productivity at work is declining as I try to think up strategies for when I get the game.

I think I have fallen in love with EA Agartha, which, going by what most people say, does not bode well for my health and/or sanity in MP games... But let´s see!
Old January 15th, 2010, 04:01 AM

Private

Danakh is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone !

Friends of mine have bring me to dominion, and i like it !

I still need more experience but i am ready for my first big game here

IRL i am french, 30 year old living in Toulouse
Old January 19th, 2010, 11:19 AM

Corporal

Num is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Just registered on the forum, I have bought the game one month ago, and have tried a few single player games.

I have discovered Dom3 after looking a while for a new video game, and tried many games on the demo. This year, I liked Elven Legacy and King's Bounty. I hope to continue discovering Dom3 with fun, I like this kind of game (and loved the music and the background especially).

Living in France, in the suburb of Paris.
Old January 31st, 2010, 11:55 PM

Corporal

Krec is on a distinguished road

i am Krec
Old February 1st, 2010, 03:31 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krec View Post
i am Krec
Glad we got that cleared up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sombre For This Useful Post:
Old February 2nd, 2010, 09:28 PM

Sergeant

GameExtremist is on a distinguished road
Beer Re: Introduce yourself!! :-)

Hi new and old friends!

Wow hasn't 2.5 years gone quick!

I've been across the continent, changed jobs, bought houses, had more babies, lost loved ones...and finally I'm ready to settle down and play dominions again!

I look forward to playing in MP games again!

See you on the field of battle...

There can only be one!

GE : )