.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $7.00

   







Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old June 21st, 2012, 07:11 PM
Samhain's Avatar

Samhain Samhain is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 251
Thanks: 14
Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Samhain is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Blood SCs

JonBrave,

I've see the same difference between blood and non-blood casters and "gem" usage. I assume this is because the non-blood castors fatigue out before depleting their gem stockpile while blood mages cast Reinvigoration to allow themselves to keep casting. I haven't really watched that closely (or read the logs) to determine if this is correct.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old June 21st, 2012, 08:01 PM
brxbrx's Avatar

brxbrx brxbrx is offline
Second Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tempe, Az
Posts: 419
Thanks: 38
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
brxbrx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Blood SCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBrave View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brxbrx View Post
I wish blood magic were more practical.

Maybe a few spells where the caster uses his own blood? Obviously they wouldn't be as powerful as the ones that need slaves, but they could still be pretty cool.
I assume(?) brxy is referring to same situation as I find: even trying to be careful with battle-blood-casts and slave location, it's hard to do much in blood battle without using slaves, and then it's hard not to get them all used up (e.g. on imps) throughout battle, whether you meant to or not.

Then again, I could be beyond hopeless...
I was mostly just referring to the idea of blood magic, and how carrying around a bunch of slaves with you to cast a single spell would be unwieldy in the setting.

And also because blood slaves are, I think, vulnerable. What happens if your caster is an Abysian warlock or has a stronger aura of another sort? Bye bye, blood slaves.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old June 22nd, 2012, 03:18 PM

JonBrave JonBrave is offline
Second Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 546
Thanks: 100
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
JonBrave is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Blood SCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
JonBrave,

I've see the same difference between blood and non-blood casters and "gem" usage. I assume this is because the non-blood castors fatigue out before depleting their gem stockpile while blood mages cast Reinvigoration to allow themselves to keep casting. I haven't really watched that closely (or read the logs) to determine if this is correct.
After I posted I wondered too whether that might well be a factor.

While talking about the "Summon Imps" my blood mages seem to like, what are imps for, what do they do well, and how can I help them?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old June 22nd, 2012, 08:02 PM
Samhain's Avatar

Samhain Samhain is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 251
Thanks: 14
Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Samhain is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Blood SCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by brxbrx View Post
What happens if your caster is an Abysian warlock or has a stronger aura of another sort? Bye bye, blood slaves.
True, the difficulty of employing blood magic on the battlefield without killing your own blood slaves is one of the significant challenges of playing Abysia. They also burn indy recruits and nearly all summons and have horrible magic diversity, nothing but fire mages from non-cap forts. And yet, EA Abysia is one of my 2 most favorite non-mod nations. Go figure.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBrave View Post
While talking about the "Summon Imps" my blood mages seem to like, what are imps for, what do they do well, and how can I help them?
As lab summons, imps' bread and butter is the removal of poorly armored units from the battlefield, such as archers or mage communes. If they go hoof to toe with infantry, they are generally toast. Non-fire area affect spells are not their friend either.

When I am concerned about keeping them alive, my preference is to mix them with something beefier to demand the attention from whatever they are fighting. Flying thugs are the best. But, devils work OK too.

They also make effective, 0 upkeep patrollers for blood hunting. Especially nice is that they don't die when patrolling for EA Abysia and an enemy scout discovery triggers a battle where they mix with that nation's heat aura radiating PD.

The main utility of the battlefield spell, Summon Imps, in my practice is to tie up an assassin so the mage has a few turns to take him down with Blood Burst or another attack spell. When used via AI, I find it generally to be a means to finish off any leftover blood slaves so you have to replenish before the next fight. Just hope you don't have two battles the same turn.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old June 22nd, 2012, 10:12 PM

thejeff thejeff is offline
General
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,327
Thanks: 4
Thanked 133 Times in 117 Posts
thejeff is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Blood SCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
JonBrave,

I've see the same difference between blood and non-blood casters and "gem" usage. I assume this is because the non-blood castors fatigue out before depleting their gem stockpile while blood mages cast Reinvigoration to allow themselves to keep casting. I haven't really watched that closely (or read the logs) to determine if this is correct.
I assume the reason is that blood casters don't have much else to do.
In other paths, even if you have gems, there are likely to be a bunch of other spells you can cast that don't use any. Almost all blood spells use slaves. Since the mage will try to cast every turn, the Blood mage will probably use slaves every turn while the other mages will find something else to do.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old June 23rd, 2012, 05:43 AM

Redeyes Redeyes is offline
Second Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 539
Thanks: 15
Thanked 43 Times in 34 Posts
Redeyes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Blood SCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brxbrx View Post
What happens if your caster is an Abysian warlock or has a stronger aura of another sort? Bye bye, blood slaves.
True, the difficulty of employing blood magic on the battlefield without killing your own blood slaves is one of the significant challenges of playing Abysia. They also burn indy recruits and nearly all summons and have horrible magic diversity, nothing but fire mages from non-cap forts. And yet, EA Abysia is one of my 2 most favorite non-mod nations. Go figure.
This is hardly a large issue with proper spacing.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old June 23rd, 2012, 07:54 AM
brxbrx's Avatar

brxbrx brxbrx is offline
Second Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tempe, Az
Posts: 419
Thanks: 38
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
brxbrx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Blood SCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeyes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brxbrx View Post
What happens if your caster is an Abysian warlock or has a stronger aura of another sort? Bye bye, blood slaves.
True, the difficulty of employing blood magic on the battlefield without killing your own blood slaves is one of the significant challenges of playing Abysia. They also burn indy recruits and nearly all summons and have horrible magic diversity, nothing but fire mages from non-cap forts. And yet, EA Abysia is one of my 2 most favorite non-mod nations. Go figure.
This is hardly a large issue with proper spacing.
You can't really keep your warlock away from your slaves, though. Or your warlock's bodyguard.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old June 23rd, 2012, 08:43 AM

Redeyes Redeyes is offline
Second Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 539
Thanks: 15
Thanked 43 Times in 34 Posts
Redeyes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Blood SCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by brxbrx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeyes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhain View Post

True, the difficulty of employing blood magic on the battlefield without killing your own blood slaves is one of the significant challenges of playing Abysia. They also burn indy recruits and nearly all summons and have horrible magic diversity, nothing but fire mages from non-cap forts. And yet, EA Abysia is one of my 2 most favorite non-mod nations. Go figure.
This is hardly a large issue with proper spacing.
You can't really keep your warlock away from your slaves, though. Or your warlock's bodyguard.
One warlock's effect doesn't really matter.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old June 23rd, 2012, 02:37 PM
Shardphoenix's Avatar

Shardphoenix Shardphoenix is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 317
Thanks: 6
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Shardphoenix is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Blood SCs

Quote:
While talking about the "Summon Imps" my blood mages seem to like, what are imps for, what do they do well, and how can I help them?
Imps are great decoy for drawing enemy evocations away from your real troops. They have good def, so trampling them isn`t that easy. And, as all demons, they love Darkness.
__________________
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old June 23rd, 2012, 03:08 PM

JonBrave JonBrave is offline
Second Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 546
Thanks: 100
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
JonBrave is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Blood SCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBrave View Post
While talking about the "Summon Imps" my blood mages seem to like, what are imps for, what do they do well, and how can I help them?
When used via AI, I find it generally to be a means to finish off any leftover blood slaves so you have to replenish before the next fight. Just hope you don't have two battles the same turn.
I was only talking of this: not choice imp summons but, exactly as you say, the fact that on the battlefield my blood mages like to get to casting this. So given that I'd like to understand what to make of them, if I can.

@thejeff
[It's not so easy to quote different posts here!]
Precisely as you say, gem mages can do useful stuff without using gems, but there are very few blood spells available which don't use slaves. Which I guess means (which you already knew!) that you have to be that much more careful about scripts, slave allocation & location with blood mages.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1999 - 2022, Shrapnel Games, Inc. - All Rights Reserved.