.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old September 13th, 2007, 12:54 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road
Default Re: commander type/unit type

So I take it that with those and similar commands I could place all the 7 water-races in a map?

But could I also put EA Oceania 2x in a map for example? or would that mean I would just have to rename it once and then add it? (I'm at my work now so I can't try it out.)

coudl I do this:
#selectnation 26
#name "Oceania Lords"
#era 1
#end

#selectnation 26
#name "Oceania"
#era 1
#end

hmm I guess I'd just rename the same one 2x then.

I figure I would need to create a nation on an empty race spot and THEN just copy all Oceania data in it and they use that.

If I do that would that be for all games or just for this map (I'd hate to see 2x Oceania appear in all my games)
I've not used mods so far and have no clue how you use em/turn mods on and off etc.
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old September 13th, 2007, 01:07 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

It takes a mod to move nations around.
Then you can use a map command to put them into that game.

If you do choose to recreate all of Oceania into an empty nation slot then I would be thrilled. I would like to see ALL of the nations done that way to allow for people to play the exact same nation against each other. "My EA Ulm can beat up your EA Ulm"
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old September 13th, 2007, 01:21 PM

Lieutenant General

Lol it SOUNDS like it's something difficult though.. else you'd do it in a minute.. I THOUGHT I could just like copy paste a race.. if that is NOT the case.. then I can't do it.

I'm a docter not a programmer lol

Anyway if mods can be restricted to just one map then I'll look into it and do it or get someone to do it my map looks nice and I want to play it. And ot play it I really need about 9-10 slots for players on that map (gives a lil diversity and options to overcroud the map) and that means I need to do more than just put all 3 ages water races in one map (would that be balanced anyway?)... but I'll settle for that if I have to
Old September 14th, 2007, 05:48 AM

Lieutenant General

Ok I'm busy making a mod based on the lines posted above but HOW do I get something to use the.dm file I can't find it anywhere how a map should activate a mod
Old September 14th, 2007, 09:47 AM

Lieutenant General

common I KNOW all you modders know the answer to that one.. gimme!
Old September 14th, 2007, 01:12 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Short Answer:
Actually that would be the mappers. And Im afraid that there isnt one. The best at the moment is something in the desctription such as "best played with xxxxxxx mod"

Longer Answer:
There are 3 basic sets of commands for Dom3 which are all extensive enough to be a whole subject of study for anyone.

A) MODDING changing the things that the game can use

B) MAPPING changing the game for a particular map

C) COMMAND LINE (servers, default settings, automating maps, automating game creation)

You can create a command line which will tie a map and mod together. That could be a batch file, or shortcut, or executable. I havent considered it enough to be sure if thats too confusing for the average player.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old September 14th, 2007, 01:41 PM

Lieutenant General

hmm in a new update some sort of linking option from the /map file would be nice them