winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old March 7th, 2005, 03:56 PM

Major

Caduceus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Moron Sues Over Roof Jumping

Quote:
NullAshton said:
Someone got a million dollars off of McDonald's for phyisical and emotional pain when the coffee burnt their tounge. People do some really stupid things... Coffee is supposed to be hot!
Interesting case, the woman in question got coffee that was 180 degrees Farenheit from a McDonalds, which spilled in her lap while driving and gave her 3rd degree burns. Now of course one should not be driving, but the thought is why would you give someone coffee THAT hot?
Old March 7th, 2005, 03:57 PM

Major General

Strategia_In_Ultima is on a distinguished road

Erm..... Infinite Improbability Drive, perhaps? I mean, it COULD happen..... the chances are simply astronomically tiny. But it COULD happen.
Old March 7th, 2005, 04:23 PM

Second Lieutenant

DeadZone is on a distinguished road

Over here, if she done that, she would of been fined for being distracted at the wheel, which I'd agree with
Old March 7th, 2005, 05:21 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

Quote:
NullAshton said:
Someone got a million dollars off of McDonald's for phyisical and emotional pain when the coffee burnt their tounge. People do some really stupid things... Coffee is supposed to be hot!
This just proves that even smart people sometimes don't have all the facts. You should research this story more and when you do you will find that this lady was hurt through the neglect of McDonalds and deserved every cent she got.
Old March 7th, 2005, 09:18 PM

Brigadier General

Slick is on a distinguished road

I agree that people should take the time to read the facts. Another McFact is that her case was successfully appealed by McD and her settlement was lowered to less than $500K.
Old March 7th, 2005, 09:38 PM

Private

Imperious_Leader is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry if you take a cup of coffee that says on it caution contents are hot , stick it between your legs and try to take the lid off as you drive you are 100% at fault not 20 % as the jury found.When this all happened the coffee we served was 170F the coffee from McDonalds was 180F we lowered ours to 130F if you were drinking it right then and there that would be fine but if you are taking it somewhere to drink...as she should have been 130F would be luke warm by the time you got there.
If you sit at home and drink yourself into a stupor then decide to go for a little drive wreck your car and lose both your legs do you then sue the company that brews your favorite beer?Come on surely the company that brews your beer knows that if you drink enough of their product you and possibly others are going to get hurt.Thus they should begin to make nothing but non alcholic beer at once.I could honestly find more reason to hold your beer company at fault than McDonalds because your favorite beer is guaranteed to make you act stupid.
It isn't that I feel no sympathy for the woman who burned herself but , it's time that people stop blaming everyone else for their problems or mistakes.She should have been charged with failing to properly control her vehicle because if she was fiddiling with her coffee lid she wasn't giving her full attention to driving.
Oh I almost forgot about all the cell phone companies we know that their product is causing accidents everyday , guess it's time for someone to sue them too.
Old March 7th, 2005, 11:20 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

In that case, the McDonald's lawyers blatantly harrassed the woman in court. McDonald's deserved to lose money over the issue for that alone, irregardless of who was "at fault" for the hot coffee. Also, I am fairly certain that the woman was in a parked car in the passenger seat, not driving, when it occured. It really is a terrible example of excessive litigous suits...

Here is a web site you should read:

http://www.centerjd.org/free/mythbus..._mcdonalds.htm
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old March 8th, 2005, 12:28 AM

Private

Imperious_Leader is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the link Imperator.....I stand corrected she was not driving and the car was parked.I checked your link then googled the lawsuit.All the sites I ckecked seem to agree.That said I still don't consider sticking a hot cup of coffee between your legs and poping the lid off to be very bright,though I will admit to having done it[not while driving] , however if I had spilled it on my ....well you know my first thought ...after I stopped screaming would be wow that was really stupid of me not I going to blame someone else for my being stupid.Anyway I feel for her but she still don't deserve a cent .
Old March 8th, 2005, 12:33 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

The facts vary, but the linked to sight should be considered the best source for info.

EDITED: No point in reposting the info that the site Fyron linked to did so well.

I challenge any one of you to face the same situation and then NOT sue for pain and sufforing, medical, and emotional distress.

Old March 8th, 2005, 01:10 AM

Corporal

luke_slovakian is on a distinguished road

Ok first how is it 180 degrees? boiling is 100 degrees....oh wait farenhite:-d dumb us temp and their "americain" talk and the ganster talking like, "hey foo, move fool, foo" US US what are we ever turning into