The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old July 29th, 2011, 11:11 AM

Sergeant

spillblood is on a distinguished road
Default World Supremacy: Have some Space Empires fans checked it out (has massive problems)

Hey, since Gandalf Parker inspired me to do this: Have any of you Space Empires fans checked out World Supremacy, the new game by Aaron Hall/ Malfador Machinations? It has massive AI issues, IE the AI can't put on a fight against you and the AI can't use nukes properly. Plus, it's very light on features/ variations. When it was released it was even worse, but got improved a little through patches. The problem is: Aaron doesn't want to do any more patches, because he thinks there's no demand for them, which is because contrary to SE, no big community did form so far, and people who checked out the demo often didn't bother to buy the game. Plus, Shrapnel did ban a user for voicing his discontent with the game, and many former fans simply lost interest in the game and left the forums.
It's also highly moddable, but we have no modding community. Except for some balance change mods nothing was done yet.
Would you please check out the game and tell your opionion on it here? Would be a big help if the community got bigger again so that more people can voice their dissatisfaction with the current state of the game to Shrapnel, so that they resume patching. I've read many positive reviews on Space Empires, and they were the cause to buy World Supremacy. I think Aaron has given SE much more attention after release than he did with WS so far.
If that doesn't happen, Aaron simply will not go on patching the game. Just check out the World Supremacy forum, especially the last, still active threads.
Thank you!
Old July 29th, 2011, 11:15 AM

Sergeant

Default Re: World Supremacy: Have some Space Empires fans checked it out (has massive problem

Please join the discussion in the following thread.
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...t=47614&page=4
We've already got one owner and fan of Space Empires IV in the discussion, would be great if more'd join, you don't have to own the game to do that, just try the demo.
Old July 29th, 2011, 12:27 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: World Supremacy: Have some Space Empires fans checked it out (has massive problem

I dont remember much patching on SEIV. Nor do I think it was all that much better than what you say of World Supremacy.

What Aaron released feels like a demo if its played vanilla. It was the many mods the players made that turned SEIV into a wonderful game. Im thankful to Aaron of course for creating it. Im just saying that it sounds kindof familiar.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gandalf Parker For This Useful Post:
Old July 29th, 2011, 08:39 PM

Sergeant

OK, seems I've been banned. I've seen they don't want help. OK, they not gonna get any. Last posts stated they don't want help, so **** them!
Old July 30th, 2011, 03:55 AM

Sergeant

Sorry, please ignore my last posts. I was drunk and saw the last open WS discussion thread was closed, so I assumed I was banned, which isn't the case.
We want to cooperate, Shrapnel!
Please don't close down any more threads.
I hope I can achieve getting more community here. Please help, all fans of Space Empires. I don't wanna harm Shrapnel, I just want to rally more support for the game. Seems Shrapnel don't understand that and resort to pretty dictatorship-like tactics. Why must they supress us here?
Old July 30th, 2011, 09:25 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Well Aaron has created another very moddable game. So possibly some of the SEIV players will be interested in it. Modding it is what will make it worthwhile
Old July 31st, 2011, 09:47 PM

Private

Skyburn is on a distinguished road

I tried the WS demo, but hated it. As I recall, my main gripes were:

-No simultaneous movement

-No PBEM support

-Tactical combat that gives humans advantage over AI

I didn't play long enough to notice much about the AI aside from combat.

If AI is the problem, maybe you can mod it so it's better. Is the AI behavior hardcoded or are there script (.csf) files? In SE5 AI behavior is totally customizable through those scripts.
Old August 1st, 2011, 06:02 AM

Sergeant

Haven't really checked it. I have no experience in modding. Since the main elements of the game should surely have some similarities with SE, they perhaps are moddable, too. Would absolutely help if persons that have SE-experience would help with finding that out. Maybe we can fix the game without further involvement from Malfador. And, another thing: Maybe this game can be tied in with SE IV or V with means of modding, IE mods for land battles in the Space Empires universe.
But I must say: I don't have any experience with SEIV, and it's only available via Strategy First (who have ****ty DRM), and Steam, I think, and not via Shrapnel anymore, so I can't check it out or try out your mods. Please simply join the community of WS, check out the demo, the files of the demo, and try to help us out with it. Would be absolutely appreciated!
Thanks for joining the discussion!
I've also opened another thread to avoid just complaining and start to resume cooperation.
Maybe you could post there:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...330#post781330

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I think this game has potential to be expanded in many ways (the first reviews also pointed that out, IE stated that Star Wars mods etc could be made, but this never materialized because there's no community).
We need you!
Old August 1st, 2011, 06:03 AM

Sergeant

@ Skyburn: I'll save your reply and check that when I return home, and reply here.
Old August 1st, 2011, 08:59 AM

Sergeant

We need to determine which parts of the game are moddable. I'll check my full version. Please state all info you need here.