winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old April 22nd, 2007, 01:04 PM

Captain

sachmo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rise of the Remorhaz Society

Quote:
Atrocities said:
Man I really do miss reading this story. You shoud do one more chapter to wrap it up. You know finish it off with the romulans blowing up their star or something.

Haven't played the game since I wrote the last installment. Not sure if I can play this game without writing about it.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 09:53 PM

Corporal

Beck is on a distinguished road

Boy, when I saw this thread again with new posts I thought (hoping anyway)there was a new chapter. I guess I'll have to reread the story again to satisfy the craving.
Old May 24th, 2007, 07:34 AM

Captain

Quote:
Beck said:
Boy, when I saw this thread again with new posts I thought (hoping anyway)there was a new chapter. I guess I'll have to reread the story again to satisfy the craving.
there will be a wrap up. I started playing this game again, and as I said before, I think the story just became too long. So, I'm going to at least try to break the stalemate with the Ukra-Tal and provide a recap for those that are interested.

Next story I think I'll play a game first and write the story after. That way I don't have to worry about ending the story on a downer. Well, at least I'll have the choice.
Old May 24th, 2007, 04:42 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

One word: A W E S O M E!!!
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:20 PM

Private

techmaster-glitch is on a distinguished road

Let’s see...sachmo, is it? Let me tell you a story.

I got SE5 some time ago,. I’ve played it, and it was good. Just recently, I’ve started to venture out, take tentative steps to looks for interesting SE5 content. A search brought me to the SE wiki. From there, shipsets intrigued me, and from there, I went to spaceempires.net. From there, I noticed they had a fan fiction section. I looked at the list, and by sheer happenstance, I clicked on “Rise of the Remorhaz Society”. The 51-page length was slightly intimidating, but I decided to read a few pages anyway.

The Rise of the Remorhaz Society was a story that, while it didn’t seem like much at first, drew me in, kept me wanting to find out what happened next “just because”. And I experienced what I think is truly great. As I got deeper and deeper into the story, I grew more and more enamored with it. While it didn’t start out this way, the story was eventually blended so seamlessly with the game itself that, instead of the game writing the plot, it felt like the plot was writing itself, with no game. The characters, many as they were, all seemed real, their own individual struggles, failures, and successes became the story itself.

As I continued, I was moved by it. I was elated with the successes of the Remorhaz, and saddened by their losses. When the Norak were defeated, the Norak integration subplot you created was something I had to see the next of. The war with the Rage Collective, particularly the taking of their planets and getting to learn how their populations worked, was gripping. And the Ukra-Tal war was keenly felt in its brutality with their organic weapons. But, by far, the best, most triumphant point in the whole story, was when Trilek gave his speech to the Remorhaz Senate to allow the Norak to serve in the Remorhaz military. That was something truly wonderful.

But, do you know what my greatest disappointment with this story is?

It’s. Not. Finished.

I caught up to page 51, and was confronted with what I feared: there wasn’t anything beyond this point yet. So, I noticed there was a link at the bottom where feedback could be give, and presumably, the author could be found. I wanted to make sure this was still an ongoing series. I got here, and you know what I found?

I’m reading, in the last few pages of this thread, some talk, and therefore life. But I am disturbed: the talk is about a cop-out: a single chapter to “wrap up” the story. The story has become too long. It’s not good.

Please do not do this.

I’m not a real judge of “quality”, but I know that the work of every single artist in the world could always stand improvement, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they should give something up for that reason alone. Yes, there are quite a few things early on that could have been done better, but that's to be expected if it was your first story like this. As it progressed, it improved so much. Yes, the story is lengthy, but I think it is a suitable match for the epic story that this is. Stories like this are meant to be long. And compared to a novel? This is still nothing. I found this story two days ago, and just finished it yesterday (mostly from a bit of luck, though). All in all, I read the whole thing in six hours total from spacemepires.net, and there, it is very manageably organized. All in all, unless you are having real life issues with creativity or other personal things, I can’t see any reason why this can’t continue.

I signed up here for one, single reason: to try and make sure this story was seen through. And I mean -through-, to its triumphant or bitter end. And I know you could do it justice either way. Please, continue writing this story as you have, and do not only make a single chapter to finish the story now. I want to see the Norak make their contribution to the war effort. I want to see what happens next with the Rage uprising. I want to see how the occupation of the Ukra-Tal planet with proceed, and what experiencing their lifestyles and customs will be like through the eyes of the Remorhaz, and how they will take to Remhoraz rule and society. I want to see how, ultimately, the war or peace with the Ukra-tal and the Romulans will go, and whether or not there are still other races out there, waiting to make contact. Please, I want to see what really happens next, not a single “wrap-up” chapter that misses out all the exciting detail you have packed into this brilliant creative interpretation of a game. Let it be as long as it needs to be.

Still, this is about the only space empires fanfiction I have read, and there might be other stories out there just as good or maybe even better. However, I’ve been probing around a few other stories, and you know what? I think finding those other good stories is going to be -extremely- difficult.

However, if you really cannot continue this story as you have, for personal or any other reasons, I suppose there’s not much I can do, and it was good while it lasted. I just think it would be a terrible waste if this story were not given the justice it deserves and completed properly.

Thank you.
Old May 28th, 2009, 12:48 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

dumbluck is on a distinguished road

unfortunately, the last post here was just over a year ago. so either it ain't happenin, or it's one REALLY long chapter.

I whole-heartedly agree, though, that RotRS is one of the best AAR stories out there.
Old May 28th, 2009, 01:11 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

I want to reread this whole story. Is there a PDF version of the complete story available?
Old May 28th, 2009, 09:29 AM

Private

techmaster-glitch is on a distinguished road

I don't know abut PDF, but I found and read this story at spaceempires.net, go to the fanfiction section. The whole story (so far) and nothing else is up there, making it a fairly easy read if you can read normal novels.
Old May 29th, 2009, 11:53 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narf poit chez BOOM is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the site. Sorry you have to see this forum in its dying days; there isn't very much posting still going on.

I don't even know where Sachmo might be, at the moment - SEV never caught my interest and I've never migrated to spaceempires.net
Sig updated to remove non-working links.
Old June 28th, 2011, 02:36 PM

Captain

To anyone still out there...I'm sorry Remorhaz wasn't finished. I don't even know where the saved game might be!

Techmaster-glitch - I'm so glad that you have enjoyed the story! My entire goal for Remorhaz was to try to flesh out the game with a story, but when it was posted online, it made me happy to see people enjoying it. I wish I could finish it for you, but I can't. Although I agree with you about the story seeming like it didn't need the game to a certain extent, in the end, I can't make the story happen without those little pixels moving across the screen. For that, I am sorry.

I've recently started playing around with SEV, and i find it to be everything i liked about SEIV, but with more entertaining battles. I like the "realtime" aspect of it. It makes it seem even more like the characters are alive and kicking. This time, though, I might write a story after the game is over, so i can be sure that i finish it.

So for anyone out there...keep on playing Space Empires, and keep those imaginations rolling.