.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old February 16th, 2007, 04:52 AM

Private

Ranger is on a distinguished road
Default I hate horrors

In my current game my pretener God got a horror mark, and has now been killed six times! This god had level 5 magic in 5 areas, 6 gems each for each area, 140 guards, magic items, armor, nothing seems to work. My god is now a complete weakling.

Watching the horror attacks
The horror teleports right pass the guards, attacks and kills my god outright on the first turn, my god never casts spells, guards are useless. I've only see guards protect against minor horrors.

What will counter Horror Attacks?

Shouldn't the horror mark go away after my god is resurrected?

This seems to unbalace the game, once your god gets a horror mark, your god is useless.
Old February 16th, 2007, 05:12 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I hate horrors

The only things that can counter horror attacks are basically having some sort of meat shield surrounding the god so that there is no room for the horror to reach him first. Then a barrage of high precision spells like Incinerate, Soul Slay and such, but if the spells can be resisted, you need as much penetration as you can get from high paths and items.

Horror marks do not go away at all. As for how you got a horror mark, it's best to stay away from situations where you could get one.

Edi
Old February 16th, 2007, 10:38 AM

Corporal

Aleph is on a distinguished road

Horrors attack people with horror marks. Not just on the strategic level, but also on the tactical battle map. Therefore, unless your bodyguards also have horror marks, (and not just any horror marks but horror marks in excess of your pretender) they will be ignored by the horror on the way to its marked target. As horrors also inflict horror marks on those they attack, there is a very tight vicious circle here.

Horror marking is, in the long term, the among worst things that can happen to your god (the other being decay, in that currently afflictions caused by old age cannot be reversed by any means, even if you have blood magic and reverse the aging). On the other hand, it's a spell that doesn't actually do anything to its target immediately - you can still use your pretender to win the battle in which they were horror marked. I'm glad it exists as an option in the game, even if it is horribly ugly - there SHOULD be something nasty and lasting you can do to even the toughest enemy pretenders, especially immortal pretenders (who, although they will keep coming back as long as they are getting killed in their dominion, will keep incurring higher and higher marks through astral claw attacks such that they'll be assaulted constantly).
Old February 16th, 2007, 12:19 PM

Corporal

Actuarian is on a distinguished road

For regular battles, you can surround your horror marked pretender with chaff troops set to guard commander. Then the horrors can't immediately get next to you to attack.

For strategic spells and random events, equip items that increase the number of allowable guards, then give yourself some size 4 guards; it will help some.

You can always use the hunter of heroes nerf mod and create your own that nerfs all the horrors.
Old February 16th, 2007, 02:48 PM

Major

Wish is on a distinguished road

the best way to survive horrors is to have a REALLY high magic resistance. All their attacks are MR negates.
Old February 16th, 2007, 02:52 PM

Private

Settting Troops to guard commander doesn't work!

In the last attack of a horror, my god had 144 troops set on guard commander, horror teleports right pass the guards, attacks and kills my god outright on the first turn, my god never casts spells, guards are useless. I've only see guards protect against minor horrors

This seems to unbalace the game, once your god gets a horror mark, your god is useless. My god had once been a level 4 magic caster in 4 different areas of magic, after being killed 6 times, my god is now only has level 1 magic in one area.

I think the horror mark should go away when a god is resurrected.
Old February 16th, 2007, 03:11 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

You are not reading what is being written for you, Ranger.

You must place the bodyguard stack on top of your god on the battlefield so that your god is surrounded on all sides by guards. Otherwise the guards are useless.

Repeating your opening post is not going to do much for you, nor is your insistence that horror marks must be removed upon resurrection. You've been given advice. It's up to you to try and act on it.

Edi
Old February 16th, 2007, 05:35 PM

Corporal

danm is on a distinguished road

They call them HORRORS for a reason.

I'd hate to have to have them renamed "minor annoyances"
Old February 16th, 2007, 06:07 PM

Private

Quote:
Edi said:
You are not reading what is being written for you, Ranger.

You must place the bodyguard stack on top of your god on the battlefield so that your god is surrounded on all sides by guards. Otherwise the guards are useless.

Repeating your opening post is not going to do much for you, nor is your insistence that horror marks must be removed upon resurrection. You've been given advice. It's up to you to try and act on it.

Edi
Can you READ E-N-G-L-I-S-H? Your advice doesn't work.

The horror bypass the 144 guards, attacks and kills my god, on turn one!

1. Guards don't work (only work on minor Horrors).
2. My God doesn't even get to cast any spells.
3. Magic Items (armor, weapons, etc.) so far havn't done any thing.

If something can kill a magic user with 144 guards, level 4 magic in four areas, with 4 gems each, good armor, and get's taken out on turn one of a fight I THINK THIS IS A LITTLE UNBALANCED, DUH!
Old February 16th, 2007, 06:51 PM

Corporal

Actuarian is on a distinguished road

Ranger,

I guess it's possible something really weird is going on, but in general Edi is correct. If you place your commander in the middle of a group on the battlefield setup there is no way a horror can attack. A space has to open on the battlefield for a troop to move into it. At least that is how it has always worked for me. Check your setup and make sure you got the army setup right.

You asked for the advice. Please try to be a little more respectful of the answers. Edi may not be the most diplomatic poster, but he is very helpful and almost always correct, and his English is much better than my Finnish.