.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old February 19th, 2007, 07:16 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Javelin throwing units

Many units have fire power with rotten aim. But if you think like them you can usually see the problem. Try using the page-down key to drop to their view level and see the battlefield. To avoid friendly fire you need to position your shooters off to the side. Or have them do long arching fire such as "fire at archers".

I like to set them at the sides and then use a cheap commander with guards on orders to attack then stay at rear. That makes the run forward, draw attention, then pull back. The enemy chases them up the gauntlet between my crowds of shooters. That works particularly well for javelins since they get off 3 volleys and then charge in on the sides to use melee weapons.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old February 19th, 2007, 07:26 PM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road

I only use the starting light inf as fodder for my first battle and never recruit any more.
When set to "fire" they charge in melee and/or get charged but usually don't fire. And if ever they fire it doesn't make any serious damage...
Old February 19th, 2007, 07:53 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Wow, first battle and then never again? That must be a quick game.

Their position can make a big difference. Telling them to fire can make them run forward to try to get into range. But then the enemy is on them before they get their next action.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old February 19th, 2007, 08:21 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Dedas is on a distinguished road

I wish there was a more sensible retreat order. I would really love to harass with skirmishers and then pull them back, especially when playing ea Ermor. As of now you either throw them into the fray where they get mangled or you have them on retreat, meaning that they throw their javelins and then scatter all over the place. Sigh. Oh well.
Old February 19th, 2007, 08:21 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

Only using them once is probably why he doesn't know how to use them and is wrong about how well they work. Javelineers work quite well with the right orders and formation, at least against a typical AI-organized army. Use Fire Closest and they stop and throw before charging into melee, unless something manages to cross the gap first (e.g. charging cavalry).

PvK
Old February 19th, 2007, 08:44 PM

Major General

Meglobob is on a distinguished road

Got to say I am not a big fan of javelin units, they are in my naff/rubbish draw.

However, one exception to that rule is the giant javelin throwers, they due to there strength for both range and damage are excellent.
Old February 20th, 2007, 12:09 AM

Sergeant

Blitz is on a distinguished road

Both the "Rome" races have very good javelin heavy infantry. The problem with most javlineers is that they are almost exclusively light infantry-based. The principe has 12 protection and 16 defense as well as a tower shield and shortsword. They are ideal for use against both neutrals and the AI, which masses light infantry and archers. Principes are virtually invulnerable to archers, and the javelin/shortsword combination makes short work of light troops. True to their history, these legionaires are best used in one large mass, as the rearward units can fire over the top of their comrades in front, into the mass of enemy. A large mass of principes in the middle with summons on the sides to protect the commanders is a nearly-unbeatable combination against the AI.
Old February 20th, 2007, 02:11 AM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road

I'm a really big fan of javelin units, myself. As blitz statest the roman versions of those units are great. But even with a "regular" empire, you often have LI that has a javelin. These cheap troops can really fill out an army and provide a surprising punch with thier javelins before they move in to take some pressure off your HI army core.
Old February 20th, 2007, 04:54 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

I love javelin infantry. I never give them any orders. They don't need any, because then the AI isn't constrained in its options and it can usually use them to good effect. The key thing is positioning the stacks correctly so that they don't get too far ahead to get slaughtered.

It seems to me that javelin units without orders will move to throwing range and use their javelins until they run out of them, while with hold and attack I've never seen them use them.

Edi
Old February 20th, 2007, 11:03 AM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road

I was talking about LI-type javelin infantry whose javelin is the main weaopn, not about HI-types (Ermor/Pythium) or cavalry or even Vans (who have javelins !).
And I use them as fodder for several battles as long as they survive (which is not that long).
I mostly play MP also.
Anyway if they behave better when scripted not scripted rather than scripted to Fire there is something weird in the Tac AI