This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old November 13th, 2006, 05:50 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Combat Wombat is on a distinguished road
Default Balance Mod to become Stock SEV Petition

If you want Kwok's Balance Mod to become stock SE5 like it was meant to please sign this petition. Hopefully if enough people sign we can convince Aaron it is a good idea.

http://www.spaceempires.net/balance/

A* Se+++ GdQ $? Fr! C* Css Sf-- Ai% Au M+++ Mp* S@ Ss++++ RNSHP Pw++ Fq+++ Nd++ Rp++ G++++ Mm++ Bb+++@ L+ Tcp--
Get the newest Version of Invasion! here: http://www.secenter.org/

Old November 13th, 2006, 06:14 AM

Corporal

neofit is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Balance Mod to become Stock SEV Petition

Quote:
Combat Wombat said:
If you want Kwok's Balance Mod to become stock SE5 like it was meant to please sign this petition. Hopefully if enough people sign we can convince Aaron it is a good idea.

http://www.spaceempires.net/balance/
But does Captain Kwok want to?

I figure this would mean that Aaron will have to both keep unbugging his game AND updating the "stock formerly known as the Balance Mod". As it is now we have twice the manpower on the same set of code. Also they apparently have different views on how the game should be played, and I prefer Kwok's.

Now of course if they both work together and Kwok gets a monetary compensation for his hard work then I'm all for it.
Old November 13th, 2006, 06:20 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Right at the top of the Balance Mod home page, it specifically says that it was intended to replace the stock data files.

Quote: "The original purpose of this mod was to supplant the default data files that are provided with Space Empires V with balanced files that retained the spirit of the standard game."
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old November 13th, 2006, 06:21 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Yes Kwok wants to thats why he created the Balance Mod with the help of some other SEV beta testers was to create a replacement for stock SEV which was lacking in many areas. Updating work to the new stock could be done by Aaron very easily, the concepts will already be layed out and won't be hard to update for the various data file changes that occur in new patches.

Let me restate clearly Balance Mod was created to become stock SEV. Aaron just never got the push he needed to accept it, and that is what this petition is for.

A* Se+++ GdQ $? Fr! C* Css Sf-- Ai% Au M+++ Mp* S@ Ss++++ RNSHP Pw++ Fq+++ Nd++ Rp++ G++++ Mm++ Bb+++@ L+ Tcp--

Old November 13th, 2006, 07:49 AM

Corporal

neofit is on a distinguished road

Yes I have read that the Balance Mod was supposed to be included in stock. It's just that I feel a bit awkward petitioning for person_1's work to become part of person_2's, without knowing without a doubt that person_1 is still interested at the time of the petition. The request does not come from Kwok nor is the petition hosted on his site, he may already be like "hey sc**w SEV and Aaron too for yelling at me over the phone" or something like that for all I know .

Other than this - yes, I want to play the Balance Mod everytime I start SEV.
Old November 13th, 2006, 11:50 AM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road

I agree. It would have been nice if someone e-mailed me prior to creating a petition on for the Balance Mod... I would have preferred to continue my e-mail correspondance with Aaron first about the subject rather than resort to an "antagonistic" approach.
Old November 13th, 2006, 12:05 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Captain Kwok said:
I agree. It would have been nice if someone e-mailed me prior to creating a petition on for the Balance Mod... I would have preferred to continue my e-mail correspondance with Aaron first about the subject rather than resort to an "antagonistic" approach.
You can keep doing that, none of this has gone to Aaron yet and it was never going to without your direct approval but its good to gauge how interested people are.

Old November 13th, 2006, 12:49 PM

First Lieutenant

Spoo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Captain Kwok said:
So does that mean you don't want us to sign the petition?
which, if I'm not mistaken, is equivilent to roughly a 50 megaton nuclear bomb.
Fear the squirrel.
Old November 13th, 2006, 12:53 PM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road

Honestly, I think it's too late for the Balance Mod to replace stock. It really had to be done before SE:V was released. To supplant stock at this point would be unfair to players who like stock, as they would no longer see there version of the game supported. Right now, the Balance Mod is easily available for anyone that wishes to play a different game and as such, both Stock and Balance Mod versions continue to be supported. I think at this point it would probably be best to include the Balance Mod with SE:V as an optional game type. I don't see any advantge on a community level to do otherwise.
Old November 13th, 2006, 01:13 PM

First Lieutenant

Raapys is on a distinguished road

I don't know. Not having it stock makes it somewhat more difficult for people who want to make mods with the Balance mod as a base rather than stock. Also, stock still got major issues with for instance the AI's making crippling pacts with each other and such.

There's a whole lot of people out there who will be 'stuck with stock' and never bother with mods or looking at the game forums, too. If the Balance mod generally holds a higher quality than stock, like it does now( remember what Aaron said about modders doing things he could never have time for or do himself?) that's really too bad for the average SEV player.

I see your points. I just think it'd be worth it.