.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > SprueGames > Salvo!

Old August 16th, 2006, 11:13 PM

Private

Antonio is on a distinguished road
Default Carronades

Hi

In the past I have already brought this subject into the forum. "Salvo!" abstracts all guns of a ship independently of type. However, carronades are a type of gun that must indeed be differentiated due to range. I've just been reading about an episode that requires this differentiation in order to be correctly simulated (and the new scenario editor is indeed a great addition to Salvo!, which has finally convinced me to buy the game): the combat between the French figate La Chifonne and the Portuguese frigate Andorinha, which took place on the 19th May 1801, northeast of the island of Trinidad. The Portuguese frigate only had carronades with very short range and thus the commander decided to maneuver without firing (in order not to reveal the kind of artillery he had) until the French frigate was really close.

Regards,
Antonio Grilo
Old August 17th, 2006, 07:40 PM

Colonel

Strider is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Carronades

Howdy Antonio,
After receiving the game, if you'd be interested in PBEM games, give me a holler. Playing against another player makes quite a difference in gameplay.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 10:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

Andrew Lonon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Carronades

Antonio:

When I set out to make Salvo! – I focused on the larger fleet aspects, to the neglect of some of the finer details that make ship duels and small actions really fun. That’s just the nature of the beast (Salvo) right now.

I suppose you could design the scenario starting at the critical - close contact point and have the Andorinha load double ball shot. Double ball shot will produce almost the same effect as carronaids, reduced range – but dramatically more damage in close contact. No – Its not the same. Rest assured that features such as this will not be overlooked in the future.

"There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Ratty