Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old October 26th, 2018, 09:04 PM

Second Lieutenant

jivemi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Feature requests for 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
...we are discussing ( discussing....not committing to ) adding further damage affects to targeting and RF subsystems along with bringing back running gear ( tracks, wheels ) damage . "Track" hits were allowed in the original game but the code for it created odd situations and if ( IF ! ) we do summon the enthusiasm required to make this work it will in the next update...and if not...not. The first focus would be arty effects..if that works out maybe it might be expanded. If your billion dollar hi tech tank catches a full burst of 30mm autocannon there should be a chance that million dollar RF might be shredded... but as I said this is only at the " to discuss" phase for Andy and I when we work up the interest to start code work again.
Dunno about targeting and RF subsystems but IMHO the frequency of mobility kills is fine as it is, especially when considering the possibility of "odd situations" when coding for running gear damage. Just my two centavos. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to jivemi For This Useful Post:
Old October 27th, 2018, 06:02 PM

Corporal

Spledge is on a distinguished road

My feature requests (though over the years I've heard them dissed by the dev/owners of the game/brand):

1. One, I've requested in kind a few times over the years, an online Hotseat format. If that means a formal hosting service affiliated with Shrapnel or whoever hosts or some player group together and are able to host it securely themselves. I WOULD value being able to log into a hosted game and play my turn on a system where players CAN NOT have any access to the game files. I'd value highly playing this game where myself or others can finagle/look inside of/mine/etc with the game files at all. I'd also like a simple messaging system to generate an email or text message when it's my turn as well as other well thought out features. But above all, PBEM play where players DO NOT have access to game files.

2. Secondly, I'd like to see it possible for immobilized vehicles to "repair" themselves and become mobile again given some time/turns.

The next two harken back to a previous incarnation of Steel Panthers: @JEB Davis

3. I'd like to have an option to play the game with the old fashion but fun at times Command and Control feature.

4. Lastly, I'd also like to see the return of platoon leaders and individual artillery pieces be able to call in artillery strikes, even their own if applicable. And I believe that feature gave the artillery pieces calling in their own strikes a time bonus (reduction). And of course spotting target hexes would still be beneficial as with other spotting units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB Davis
Old October 27th, 2018, 08:55 PM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spledge View Post
4. Lastly, I'd also like to see the return of platoon leaders and individual artillery pieces be able to call in artillery strikes, even their own if applicable. And I believe that feature gave the artillery pieces calling in their own strikes a time bonus (reduction). And of course spotting target hexes would still be beneficial as with other spotting units.

Am I missing something? Platoon leaders and Artillery CAN call in artillery strikes...

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
Old October 27th, 2018, 11:25 PM

Corporal

Felix Nephthys is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_rocks View Post
Quote:

Am I missing something? Platoon leaders and Artillery CAN call in artillery strikes...
An artillery unit can't call in it's own missions unless the Spotters button is turned off in Preferences.
The Following User Says Thank You to Felix Nephthys For This Useful Post:
Old October 28th, 2018, 04:09 PM

Corporal

Spledge is on a distinguished road

@Felix Nephthys Thanks for pointing out that supplemental point. To be clear to others, I was aware of the 'Spotting' option to be toggled on an off and value playing the game with spotting option turn on. My earlier point made was more for ALL arty pieces to be able to call in strikes from their own side's forces including their own unit. Memory also recalls that when an arty unit calls in their own unit's strike that a time advantage was afforded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix Nephthys View Post
An artillery unit can't call in it's own missions unless the Spotters button is turned off in Preferences.

Last edited by Spledge; October 28th, 2018 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: formatting
Old October 28th, 2018, 05:33 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Artillery can already call its own fire missions and does so quickly by Z firing a spotting round, now switch to the bombardment screen and plot it.
Main use for me is mortars with a LOS or supporting troops in close proximity.
Old October 29th, 2018, 07:33 AM

Corporal

PantherCub is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
...we are discussing ( discussing....not committing to ) adding further damage affects to targeting and RF subsystems along with bringing back running gear ( tracks, wheels ) damage . "Track" hits were allowed in the original game but the code for it created odd situations and if ( IF ! ) we do summon the enthusiasm required to make this work it will in the next update...and if not...not. The first focus would be arty effects..if that works out maybe it might be expanded. If your billion dollar hi tech tank catches a full burst of 30mm autocannon there should be a chance that million dollar RF might be shredded... but as I said this is only at the " to discuss" phase for Andy and I when we work up the interest to start code work again.
Just came to think of this. We had spare prisms for the main sight and for the observation ports when I was in tanks (Centurions). So even if the optics are damaged by splinters, they are easily repairable. Replacing the prism can be done from inside the tank. Just slide the old one down and insert the replacement. Of course there is not an endless supply of prisms, but still, there is redundancy against splinter effects.
The Following User Says Thank You to PantherCub For This Useful Post:
Old October 29th, 2018, 02:16 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,424 Times in 2,695 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Feature requests for 2019

Quote:
My feature requests (though over the years I've heard them dissed by the dev/owners of the game/brand):

1. One, I've requested in kind a few times over the years, an online Hotseat format. If that means a formal hosting service affiliated with Shrapnel or whoever hosts or some player group together and are able to host it securely themselves. I WOULD value being able to log into a hosted game and play my turn on a system where players CAN NOT have any access to the game files. I'd value highly playing this game where myself or others can finagle/look inside of/mine/etc with the game files at all. I'd also like a simple messaging system to generate an email or text message when it's my turn as well as other well thought out features. But above all, PBEM play where players DO NOT have access to game files.

2. Secondly, I'd like to see it possible for immobilized vehicles to "repair" themselves and become mobile again given some time/turns.

The next two harken back to a previous incarnation of Steel Panthers: @JEB Davis

3. I'd like to have an option to play the game with the old fashion but fun at times Command and Control feature.

4. Lastly, I'd also like to see the return of platoon leaders and individual artillery pieces be able to call in artillery strikes, even their own if applicable. And I believe that feature gave the artillery pieces calling in their own strikes a time bonus (reduction). And of course, spotting target hexes would still be beneficial as with other spotting units.
In reply to

1/ The reply to this request..which only you make..is the same as it has always been......we are NOT interested and AFAIK nobody else is either. To make something like that work needs a very large pool of potential players and this is a niche game not WOT.

2/ Tanks that have become mired or disabled are normally IRL abandoned as crews have little interest in sitting in a stationary target. Stories of crews repairing tracks under fire are few and far between. So you may be interested but few others are otherwise we would have heard constant requests for it and neither Andy nor I consider it worth adding. I would be more willing to have crews automatically---- or have to pass a morale check every turn and if they fail bail out of disabled tanks... that would be at least more accurate

3/ You are referring to a game not ours....it was a mod development of SP3 so although a "previous incarnation of Steel Panthers" it is not one we strive to emulate for which the majority of the players of our to games are generally grateful. SP2 did not use a "Command and Control feature" and although every once in awhile Andy and I toss the idea around of adding one it's not something we can get all that excited about.

4/ As noted if you want that in this game simply turn Spotters to OFF in Preferences and you can call arty with arty units.

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old October 30th, 2018, 04:50 AM

BANNED USER

Kiwikkiwik is on a distinguished road

Well Damage to Fire Control and Rangefinder systems, define system! In a WWII tank isn't Fire Control just the sights nothing more nothing less? vision slits and prisms can always be replaced by popping ones head out of the cupola I guess? The gun sight is usually well protected behind the mantlet looking through a golf ball sized hole anything less than a direct hit will have no effect. Schrapnel from a near miss has to travel up from the ground so the h ull of the tank will block it. Basically the sights are internal, so safe.

WWII tank rangefinders are very rare those tanks that have them have them mounted on the roof. Again the tank body will protect the instrument from blast and scrapnell unless the shell actually lands on the roof. What is the chance of the shell landing on the roof, about zippo.

Look at figure 4 from

http://nigelef.tripod.com/errorsmistakes.htm

Figure 4 and 3 show that the game 25 pdr dipersion over about 7 hexes is about right at 8000yds, notice the modern gun 155 mm FH70 is much more accurate, look at the dispersion of the 6-inch Gun Mk 19 you would be lucky to get a shell to land on the map!
So comparison of ww2 guns and modern guns is misleading. Modern guns shells are landing in a much tighter group. Chance of a direct hit or near miss using WWII ordinance is negligable even with observed fire fig. 3 shows this for a 25 pdr. In WWII As already pointed out, direct hits only result if really big numbers of guns are committed. If direct hits were as common as they are in the game in real life then the many open topped vehicles would have had a lid put on, quick smart.

Help on RF and FC I find confusing, Range Finder is about range finder, OK, but help also says it is about the gun sight. Shouldnt sights be part of Fire control? if not then what is Fire Control? Help just describes the effect FC has not what it is. It would look much neater to me if RF was RF and FC was the gun sight. After all Stabiliser is Stabiliser, Accuracy sits with the Weapon. What is left to be in FC except gun sight?

Personally I would move sights out of RF into FC, leaving RF for RF. RF value would be then be 0 or so for most units and those units that actually have a RF would get the appropriate value.
FC could be related to sights magnification, bigger better, and possibly sight design. The fineness of the traverse and Elevation gear is relevant but no doubt too granular for this game.
Old October 30th, 2018, 09:23 AM

First Lieutenant

zovs66 is on a distinguished road

This is a good read on Artillery.

https://history.army.mil/html/books/...hPub_70-27.pdf