.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 21st, 2008, 11:32 PM

BANNED USER

Omnirizon is on a distinguished road
Default transfering a cursed item (through death?)

I did a search and read about about cursed items. While I ascertained (with my amazing powers of observation) that a cursed item on a commander who dies will be picked up by another commander in that province, I'd like conformation on this and a little insight into how it works; plus some advice on killing a commander.

I have an item that is, unbeknownst to me, cursed; and I want to give it to a particular commander. so I give it to a guy to carry to this commander. This particular item is an artifact, rather valuable, and I don't want to lose it. The flavor description gives no indication that the item might be cursed, the name gives no indication, there is really no reason to think the item is cursed. One would only know if they opened the manual and saw that the item is, for some unusual reason, cursed. For this reason, I now suggest placing a "cursed" tag on the item ability area. In fact, it would be nice if all items had a screen similar to the commander screen that displayed nicely all their abilities and exactly what they did.

Now I want to know how to get this item from the commander carrying it to a specific other commander. I gather that if I can kill the commander carrying it, it will be picked up by another. 1) How can I ensure it is picked up by the one I want to have it? 2) How can I kill the commander carrying it?

My best guesses to these questions are 1) have the commander carrying it and the commander to recieve it be the only commanders in that province. and 2) use a fever fetish (I've never used these before, but I hear they kill commanders).

any help?
Old June 22nd, 2008, 01:27 AM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road
Default Re: transfering a cursed item (through death?)

My impression is that the chance of picking up an item on a commander's death depends upon the number of other commanders in that province, so if you make the intended recipient be the only commander in the province it might be lost and you'd have to reforge it. Do not use a fever fetish because items on commanders who die out of combat (e.g. from disease) are just lost. He has to die during a battle. The easiest way to do it is to make him Attack from the very front while everyone else does Hold and Attack from the back.

-Max

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]
Old June 22nd, 2008, 03:32 AM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

I don't think multiple commanders help. I'd arrange for a battle with the two commanders, the guy to get the item having free slots to take the item, and arranged so the guy to lose the item will die one way or another (e.g. have him Hold x 5 with poison cloud-producing bodyguards, or charging the enemy well ahead of everyone else).
Old June 28th, 2008, 09:39 AM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

This might be a border case, but you can transfer items through Wish. Either wish for a cursed item and your caster will equip it, or wish for a non-cursed item of the same type and let it replace the cursed one that your caster is holding and make him return it to your lab. This is extremely useful if done right. You can e.g. equip the Dimensional Rod when wishing for a weapon or the Forbidden Light when wishing for a misc item and enjoy their astral magic bonus for the wish, without having to fear their ill side affects: They'll be unequipped before you'll receive insanity or horror marks.
Emergency comic relief
Old June 28th, 2008, 02:55 PM

Is there no risk that it will replace whatever else is in your other hand or misc slots instead of the item you want replaced, or does it always replace a particular slot?
Old June 28th, 2008, 08:04 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

It always replaces the first slot(s) available, AFAIK, but you may want to check if that only applies if all the slots of that particular type are full. I used the "hotswap the Forbidden Light" trick to steal the Chalice in a game of mine.
Emergency comic relief
Old June 29th, 2008, 04:26 PM

Very clever!