.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old July 18th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: \"MoD+Retreat\" defeated w/o killing caster

I call B.S. It was very rudely expressed to me by several posters that this combination is unbeatable in any situation and that people like me were cheaters for even suggesting that someone find a way to defeat the tactic.

So there is no chance that you found a way to beat this tactic. And even if you did, a strategy that cannot be defeated by one fully con4 equipped SC should never be allowed in this game.

Take your lies, deceit and h4xors and please find a community that will tolerate your shenanigans.

/sarcasm off

I am really glad someone made an effort to figure out / explain counters to this spell. Tears never amount to progress!
Old July 18th, 2008, 01:14 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

I fully agree with Foodstamp.
Old July 18th, 2008, 01:48 AM

First Lieutenant

K is on a distinguished road

Here is another saved game. It involves a small Abysian army with a few mages(one casting Fire Storm) and a few guys with Rod's of the Phoenix beating a defending MoD + Storm + Wrathful Skys + Grip of Winter + Quagmire. The Abysian army takes a few losses, and I had to make the Seraph Pretender immune to fire because I was afraid he's get killed on turn one of the combat. It's in a Cold 3 province.
Attached Files
File Type: rar 625620-MoDsecTest.rar (2.87 MB, 112 views)
Old July 18th, 2008, 04:54 AM

Edi is on a distinguished road

The MoD bug description has been amended to reflect the discussions in this and the BF Enchantments & retreat thread.
Old July 18th, 2008, 05:25 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Tifone is on a distinguished road

Good. At least I think I will finally understand soon if it deserves to be a fair tactic in MP or not. People seem very doubtful about all in these strange days... ^_^

Old July 18th, 2008, 05:30 AM

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

I have to admit I'm sad that this has been toned down from a red to a purple bug. Regardless of whether it's counterable it's still a horrible bug to be on the receiving end of.

Any smart guy who plans to (ab)use MoD will only use it for the first time against a big enemy army. Few big armies are equipped to cope with it, so it's probably an insta-kill on that army at least.

I don't want to have to script all my armies for all time to cope with an MoD exploit. It's certainly at least non-trivial to counter. So as a bug it perturbs the game arguably far more than any other single bug,
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old July 18th, 2008, 05:36 AM

Edi is on a distinguished road

I can make it red again, but we shall see. JK is on vacation, but I have asked him to look at the MoD issue and I expect he will sometime when he returns and I'll hear back from in due time.

In fact, I think it might still be better to put it in red because of the abusability due to the general BF enchantment & retreat issue. Domes are still in red, after all.
Old July 18th, 2008, 06:32 AM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

I Disagree with Foodstamp and Endo since it's been known for an enternity you can beat the spell but the fact remains that once the caster leaves the spell should end, it's an admitted bug by the makers too I think and if it's exploited it's enough reason to kick pplz in the nuts for it.
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old July 18th, 2008, 06:36 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

I haven't changed my opinion of this at all. My problem with it was always that it was an incredibly lame/cheap tactic (yes I am willing to accept people will do things that are lame, but I still prefer them to not be in the game) and that it had been indicated by the devs to be a bad bug. On top of that you had several experienced players reporting that they had been able to successfully use it to trash other players with minimal effort, making it more effective that any legit tactic going. Stopping something like this in a test environment and stopping it in a real game are very different.

Battlefield enchants vanish when the caster dies and I see no reason they shouldn't vanish when he retreats. It's just an oversight.

I don't want to play mp with people dropping stuff like this so I'll stick to games where it's banned and hope it's fixed for the basegame.
Old July 18th, 2008, 07:11 AM

First Lieutenant

K is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Edi said:
I can make it red again, but we shall see. JK is on vacation, but I have asked him to look at the MoD issue and I expect he will sometime when he returns and I'll hear back from in due time.

In fact, I think it might still be better to put it in red because of the abusability due to the general BF enchantment & retreat issue. Domes are still in red, after all.
If he looks at the three games I've posted, I'll accept his judgments. I could create more representative games using different tactics, but I think the one's I've tested are enough to show the weaknesses of MoD + BE + Retreat, as well as everyone's potential ability to counter them in the endgame.

PS. The devs can feel free to email me at any time. I'd be happy to discuss this issue.