.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old May 13th, 2018, 09:54 AM

Second Lieutenant

RightDeve is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Height Maps

Late to the party...

So only this evening I got around digging about this tool, and reading this thread in full.

A huge thank you for dmnt!!

This venhola map tool not only creates the contour automatically for us, but gives hex overlay as well on the real map, complete with satellite view, thus easing the process of matching, and then drawing the map.

At first I thought it only covers European and Scandinavian area. Turns out it covers the whole earth!

Kudos!
The Following User Says Thank You to RightDeve For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2018, 01:37 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Confused Re: Height Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightDeve View Post
Late to the party...

So only this evening I got around digging about this tool, and reading this thread in full.

A huge thank you for dmnt!!

This venhola map tool not only creates the contour automatically for us, but gives hex overlay as well on the real map, complete with satellite view, thus easing the process of matching, and then drawing the map.

At first I thought it only covers European and Scandinavian area. Turns out it covers the whole earth!

Kudos!
IDK, I am not getting a hex overlay. And besides, there are no options to download, just click download. So, I know something is amiss, but what it is I don't know.

So, dmnt can we get step-by-step instructions?

Old May 15th, 2018, 01:54 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

I don't think he's implemented that feature yet

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old May 15th, 2018, 02:34 PM

Second Lieutenant

RightDeve is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahadi View Post

IDK, I am not getting a hex overlay. And besides, there are no options to download, just click download. So, I know something is amiss, but what it is I don't know.

You need to press the + button (on the interface) so the area you're viewing will be bound by a box, and if you zoom in close enough there's hex overlay with hex coordinates.

The options to download full image is probably not implemented, but you can right click and save image, and it'll give you the map & hex overlay the size of your monitor screen size.
The Following User Says Thank You to RightDeve For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2018, 06:39 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Height Maps

Quote:
Quote:

You need to press the + button (on the interface) so the area you're viewing will be bound by a box, and if you zoom in close enough there's hex overlay with hex coordinates.

The options to download full image is probably not implemented, but you can right click and save image, and it'll give you the map & hex overlay the size of your monitor screen size.
Bingo! You the man RightDave.

Produced a PNG file, resulting in a very good print copy as well.

Old May 17th, 2018, 03:21 AM

Sergeant

dmnt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:

Additionally you can rotate the map with shift + alt + mouse drag in case you don't want to create exactly west-east oriented map. The cross hair needs to be clicked after that for the rotation to apply to the selected hex grid.

"The enemy may come from any direction. East, south, north. Also from the west, but then it has performed a hooking manoeuvre." -- FDF Army officer in the 80's.
Old May 18th, 2018, 03:41 PM

Sergeant

mkr8683 is on a distinguished road

When I load my maps into the game, I get the contours on the mini-map but there is nothing but clear terrain on the actual game map What the hell?
Old May 18th, 2018, 04:00 PM

First Lieutenant

zovs66 is on a distinguished road

mkr8683, I got the same, I thought that is what it's supposed to do. Did not think it made a map of any kind.
Old May 18th, 2018, 04:19 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

I thought by now everyone was clear on the procedure......apparently not.

YOU need to " reveal" the contours with the game map editor or the extended editor

You need to flood fill the entire map with a terrain that follows contours.......bare earth is a good one. Open the map, set Fill range to 250 then block fill the entire map by right clicking on the map....... OR the easier way if you own the CD version is detailed in my post 159 in this thread

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old May 18th, 2018, 04:29 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

From the README file

### Getting the terrain
+
+After picking a good location so that all areas of interests are covered by the map click the Download button. Generating the
+map will take about half a minute but you can continue to use the UI while waiting. When the source map is generated it should
+be copied to game directory tiled "Maps". It will be map number 999 and will be overwritten by autosave if you work with any
+other map in the WinSPMBT map editor.
+
+After opening the map go to second page of tools (either by clicking the blue triangle or "n" key on your keyboard) and choose
+clear keeping the current contour. Do not click on any hex but choose then Fill range button and enter 255 in. Then press the
+fill button and the terrain should be finished.

The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post: