.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old April 19th, 2009, 04:18 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Any Machaka love?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCG View Post
More on topic, I don't think I've seen anything for MA Machaka other than endoperez god spider pretender, which is totally awesome.
Thanks, although I'm not so sure about the awesome, what it with being a very early proof-of-concept.

Our best bet would probably be to get Kristoffer to play the EA Machaka mod, and then get inspired to play little MA Machaka, and then decide that they're due for an update. That, or kidnap him and send him to Africa for his summer holiday. Without sun protectors and with a laptop, so that he'll get burned and will have to stay indoors. We might also have to give him few hints, such as making Indian gurus ride into town on giant, mind-controlled spiders that eat the people and his breakfast, so that he gets that Enslaved black spiders are Not Good.
The Following User Says Thank You to Endoperez For This Useful Post:
Old April 19th, 2009, 04:25 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

I'd personally go for a magic experiment gone wrong creating driders/spider centaurs and who then take over and give the spiders a more holy position. a few recruitable spiders which are sacred. I think entering giants (giants AGAIN???) would just dilute the still underused spider theme . MORE SPIDERS!!!! --> ow this chain of events would make this story LA.. of course it could be turned around and be made in EA (would fit dom 3 better even.. more magical in EA fading that out as the ages pass.
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old April 19th, 2009, 05:54 PM

Private

Lurker_at_Threshold is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aezeal View Post
I'd personally go for a magic experiment gone wrong creating driders/spider centaurs and who then take over and give the spiders a more holy position. a few recruitable spiders which are sacred. I think entering giants (giants AGAIN???) would just dilute the still underused spider theme . MORE SPIDERS!!!! --> ow this chain of events would make this story LA.. of course it could be turned around and be made in EA (would fit dom 3 better even.. more magical in EA fading that out as the ages pass.
But outside of Anansi, which surprisingly isn't included for Machaka, spiders aren't all that well represented in African mythology whereas animism and lesser deities are. Secondly they weren't so much giants as elemental, animal headed quasi deities (that animism again) MA Machaka is definitely the time and place to do a spider cult given the dominance of the spider transforming black sorcerers. This definitely should be reflected in the conjuration tree, summonable riderless black hunters with improved magic resistance, smaller death poison baring spiders, your recommended driders (the most favored bane spiders perhaps), elephant sized giant spiders with multiple web shots and trample, and magically potent divine spiders who are the black sorcerer's true masters. Given that MA Machaka is slightly on the evil side and is based loosely on west africa, it should have Soumaoro as a national hero given that he is a wicked pagan sorcerer king who sits on a chair lined with the flayed skins of vanquished kings (incidentally also a great black smith) that is ultimately defeated by sundiata who creates the empire of Mali and brings islam to west africa while permitting its coexistence with animism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soumaoro_Kant%C3%A.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lurker_at_Threshold For This Useful Post:
Old April 19th, 2009, 05:57 PM

Lieutenant General

hmm I myself don't care much for mythologies really (owww sacrilege in this forum).. I just say what I would like to see
Old April 19th, 2009, 09:10 PM

Corporal

DaveCG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endoperez View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCG View Post
More on topic, I don't think I've seen anything for MA Machaka other than endoperez god spider pretender, which is totally awesome.
Thanks, although I'm not so sure about the awesome, what it with being a very early proof-of-concept.

Our best bet would probably be to get Kristoffer to play the EA Machaka mod, and then get inspired to play little MA Machaka, and then decide that they're due for an update. That, or kidnap him and send him to Africa for his summer holiday. Without sun protectors and with a laptop, so that he'll get burned and will have to stay indoors. We might also have to give him few hints, such as making Indian gurus ride into town on giant, mind-controlled spiders that eat the people and his breakfast, so that he gets that Enslaved black spiders are Not Good.
This, one thousand times this for sure, I've got some money saved, and I'm only over in the uk, hmm, properly not wise to talk about kidnapping KO on his forum, quickly, to the hidden forum!
-dun dun dun dun dun daaa daaaaaaa-
On less silly note it is a shame Machaka seem to have been forgotten, mind you I have no idea why I care, it not like I even like them that much, I hate spiders for a start, it's just you know, support the underdog and all that personally I'm just biding my time until I make some MA welsh druids, mwuahah-etc.

Thanks for the reading suggestion Lurker, I'll be sure to look at it, I'm basically looking to made the EA mod have at least something that doesn't come off as "And this is a lion, and this is a lion and hey, guess what? that's a lion too." although I'm going into the starting roots of the cult with ther...hang on, I'll stop being lazy and try to get the .dm finished by wednesday and you'll see, it'll need balance and spell checking and suggestions galore but at least it'll be out there, and it has to be wednesday for after that I get my mindless giant robot fighting fix, oh the joy of gundam...

Hey Aezeal how'd you feel about a gundam nation for dom3000 ahhh, there goes the rest of my free time.
Old April 20th, 2009, 01:06 PM

Lieutenant General

gundam nation... haha
check my Jomon in dom 3 K... you might recognize some sprites from gundam games
Old April 20th, 2009, 02:44 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Mytheology mod gives Matchaka a new goddess Empress of Assassins which is pretty cool.

I think more could be drawn out from the old DnD Drow. More drider like. Something that would work for Lolth Goddess of Spiders.

Gandalf Parker
--
new sig self-deleted for rudeness
Old April 20th, 2009, 03:10 PM

Lieutenant General

I like my drider, haven't seen the mytheology one though.

Having seen both driders now I must say I like mine better mostly becuase his is more of a huge spider not what I think of as a drider (it probably isn't intended as one either).. it looks good though since it's a huge sprite with details.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2315_Drider_2.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	4.1 KB
ID:	8085   Click image for larger version

Name:	2315_Drider_3.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	8086  

Last edited by Aezeal; April 20th, 2009 at 03:23 PM..
Old April 21st, 2009, 04:38 PM

Sergeant

BandarLover is on a distinguished road

thanks for the info guys, I'll check out a few of the mods mentioned. DaveCG, shot you a PM with a few ideas for your EA Machaka mod.
Old April 30th, 2009, 09:14 AM

Private

Demantiae is on a distinguished road

I really love Machaka, they're one of my fav nations of Dominions and it's a shame they look like an afterthought. Vanilla Machaka really does need some summons and those suggested above would work great). I need to check out that EA Machaka mod that's flying around and see how that pays out but I'm concerned by that hugely expensive king unit the modder puts so much emphasis on. It seems that king unit is the whole focus of the mod and makes him the central theme of the nation. In MA the kings are merely figureheads as the priesthood as complete control of society, os maybe in the past (EA) the kings had too much control or they became corrupt and had to be reigned in but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with a hugely powerful king unit that is pretty afr removed from any other king unit in the game. I'll check it out and see if it can be improved any.

As for LA though I like the idea of hving Machaka on of the few uncorrupted nations and I love the idea of basing around the Malian empire. They were massively wealthy and for a time some of the most educated people on the planet. Introducing Astral magic into their makeup would fit perfectly. I like the idea of bringing driders into the nation but I'd recomend limiting them to LA and having them sacred. The sorcerers of Black Mountain could have been purged by the priesthood for corruption and those few who weren't tainted by foul magics chose to show their devotion to the god by mergin with the spiders to become the first driders. Now they are few in number and sacred, hiding in the God Mountain waiting to be called into action. Drider commanders could be the last of the Black Sorcerers and they could be decent mages (maybe not as good as the original sorcerers because these were the uncorrupted ones so probably the more novice sorcerers), call them Drider or Spider Elders or something. The drider troops could be their chidren and they lack the magical training, call them Drider or Spider Children or something.

For LA Machaka's military I'd focus primarily on the hoplites. If their society survives the rigours of the middle age and a possible corruption then the empire that comes out of that would be strong and organized. An African hoplite army would be cool, throw in some Zulu military elements based off their bull-horn strategies (or whatever they called it) and you have the army worked out. Basicly you'd have regular hoplites supported by older and more experienced second line troops (like the triarius of Ermor) and have younger, faster and more lightly equiped flank troops with shorter spears. I'd not use the spider cavalry of the MA, perhaps they had issues controling all those spiders (maybe the spiders influenced by their god began the purge of the wicked form their ranks - thousands of giant spiders decending from the forrest to cleanse are gonna leave a lasting impression on a culture!), instead they'd rely on their driders for cavalry support (though they'd be cap only sacreds andin short supply). Leave them their archers, perhaps upgrade them to composite bows (outside influences in their military) which would be balanced by their lesser access to Flaming Arrows. There's also one thing that's been forgotten thus far about Machaka - the Bandar. Their history (in the form of heroes) mentions the intelligent apes living deep in the jungles nearby. Maybe in the late age Machaka has subjugated the ape kings and they use their warriors as levy troops or auxilliaries? Well armoured and trained hoplites supported by the stronger ape warriors would make for a nice mix (similar to how Arco has their own ape warriors). Throw in an Ape King commander to go alongside an obvious hoplite commander and you have your military leaders sorted.

Only thing left to decide would be how the priesthood is represented. If God Mountain was purged then some sort of inquisition would be in order. I'd keep the settup of the priests (Eyes, Ears and Mouth of the Lord) to some extent. Give the Eyes and Ears the Inquisitor bonus as they're out actively looking for corruption and threats to the faith. The Mouth of the Lord can instead have access to astral magic as they spend a lot of time communing with their god and interpreting his/her/it's commands. Maybe the king is now a priest-king and the vessel of the god? His person is chosen from amongst the ranks of the Voices and his priest abilities match theirs but he is a more powerful astral mage. Machaka could be a relatively good astral nation but a choice would need to be made about using their expensive astral priests as communion slaves or not.

The more I think about this the more I like the idea of LA Machaka. I need to learn how to mod this game so I can put all these idea's into practice!
The Following User Says Thank You to Demantiae For This Useful Post: