.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old February 3rd, 2023, 04:43 PM

Corporal

Steves308 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ukraine 2021(?)

If it's not too late to vote for the mine icons, I like the first one you posted, the Yellow background with the skull. Those seem to really stand out.
Just my 2 cents.

Steves308
The Following User Says Thank You to Steves308 For This Useful Post:
Old February 3rd, 2023, 08:11 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Right now I am leaning towards a "sign" rather than just a skull and bones using the later skull graphic in either yellow or red.....so far.

I'm looking for a balance between standing out and being a distraction but for sure there would be an option for players to use the original SSI ones if they wanted

What I have found though that triangular signs tend more to point downwards than upwards, they also tend more to red

That said there are hundreds of variations

Just to throw fuel on the fire

I am liking these...........

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; February 3rd, 2023 at 08:30 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old February 3rd, 2023, 08:15 PM

First Lieutenant

blazejos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSheppard View Post
Having each "wave" of Wagner
About human wave tactics. People recruited by Wagner PMC as cannonfodder They are killed not only for retreat but also for begin catch. Like in WW2 if you became a POW you became a traitor.

Here is story of one of them Yevgeny Nuzhin (Murderer in penal colony since 1999)
https://belsat-eu.translate.goog/pl/..._x_tr_pto=wapp

Here shortly after became POW he talks with someone from press
https://www-polsatnews-pl.translate...._x_tr_pto=wapp

Ukrainian side said that he was strong admirer of USSR and allow his exchange for 20 their soldiers

But his execution is not end of the story CEO of Wagner Group about him
Quote:
Yevgeny Prigozhin publicly approved of the execution and called the executioners "honest people". He commented on the death of the former prisoner with the words "dog - dog death".
And on the end TOOL used by PMC Wagner "employes" to kill him still with his blood was send to European Parliament like in classical mafia movies this is a sad story of one of this criminals from human waves units.
https://www-polsatnews-pl.translate...._x_tr_pto=wapp

Here another person Viktor Sevalniev (also from penal colony he became a commander of separatist unit because he fought before in Chechenia 1999) He was killed not because his own actions but because some of his soldiers deserted.

this is what he says to his wife in last words through phone:
Quote:
“The Ministry of Defense shoots people. They know we are the 200th [dead - ed.] and they have us in f*ck. I would like to go back to where I was [to the penal colony – editorial note], but they won't let me. […] Don't send people here, that's enough. They want to kill everyone, Gulagu.net initiative quotes his conversation with his wife.

Now even if we know that they are often criminals hope that some of them are not totally anonymous human wave. Also recruits which aren't any criminals are used and disciplined in similar way. Here for example Andriej Miedwiediew who escaped not so long time ago to Norway.

https://defence24-pl.translate.goog/..._x_tr_pto=wapp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lMOvPi2BEw

Last edited by blazejos; February 3rd, 2023 at 08:25 PM..
Old February 4th, 2023, 04:56 AM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

Loving the mine graphics (yellow triangles my favourite), however just a thought: how would they interact with objective flags?

Does the mine sign need to be larger to show under a objective marker/flag? or raised/lowered in the hex?

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
Old February 4th, 2023, 07:49 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_rocks View Post
Loving the mine graphics (yellow triangles my favourite), however just a thought: how would they interact with objective flags?

Does the mine sign need to be larger to show under an objective marker/flag? or raised/lowered in the hex?
It would be the same as the normal mine symbols under a V hex are now

With the first test example I built, the top of triangle shows above the V-hex and the number of mines below it. I have not tested the latest ones but you raise a good point and I will ensure the V hexes do not hide them though through preferences while playing you can turn the V hexes on and off to check things like that

I just built a simulation and the last inverted triangle example I built would show a bit of yellow above and below a V-hex flag alerting a player to the mines there and that is actually a bit better than it has been up until now as a single mine would not show under a V-Hex flag and only be really obvious with three-four

EDIT ----And there is always.......
\ - Enable or disable the display of victory hexes.**

that has no effect on mines but it allows you to check under a V-hex

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; February 4th, 2023 at 04:41 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old February 4th, 2023, 10:46 AM

First Lieutenant

blazejos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
]What I have found though that triangular signs tend more to point downwards than upwards, they also tend more to red
I like this red downward triangle looks more like this sign used on last war but that is always an issue of individual taste and good visibility on map especially in far away zoom mode.

Some proposition this mines option may have a button in game interface typically we will have standard mines icons like now but when you click that button you can change minefield representation to other icon and you can in that way cycle through many minefields icons and chose that what is best for your taste. In that way will be possible to use all the icons which Don present to us. Problem with solution is that will need some addition to game code that button which need cycle through new SHP file icons. Plus of that solution is that in SPWW2 if that code also will be added we can have "Achtung Minen" sign. Probably one shp may be dedicated just for signs from various parts of the world. Just proposition to consideration
Old February 4th, 2023, 10:57 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

While I can see how the ability to cycle through various mine/sign graphics that allow players to try different representations would be a 'nice" addition it overcomplicates what was intended to be a simple swap file exercise like the Alternate German flags in SPww2

Also, while Red is indeed the predominant colour used on these signs in real life the issue for Red, that the question about how they would work with V hexes pointed out, Red is used a lot more for flags than yellow is.

OTOH a red sign on the game map is a bit more subdued and less eye-catching than Yellow

I have not made up my mind one way or the other

Last edited by DRG; February 4th, 2023 at 11:09 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old February 4th, 2023, 12:04 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,235 Times in 923 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Ukraine 2021(?)

Just curious, would these be a player option to use or not?

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..
Old February 4th, 2023, 12:44 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTBOAT TOUGH View Post
Just curious, would these be a player option to use or not?

Regards,
Pat
Pat, as I said in the previous post.......

Quote:
intended to be a simple swap file exercise like the Alternate German flags in SPww2
There would be a folder in the Graphics folder with the old and the new and simple instruction on how to copy them

Old February 4th, 2023, 12:49 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

This is an example of how the inverted red triangle version would look In the game

The tiny left side shows what it would look like fully zoomed out which is more clear than the existing set

The middle example is the standard 1:1 level that the game starts up with

The right side is zoomed all the way in

I used Uganda as it had a colourful flag. Note the "tail" of the mine sign can clearly be seen under a V hex flag indicating there are mines there

A further refinement of placement in hex. This lowers the inverted triangle so that the skull symbol is in the middle of the hex but the "tail" of the triangle now hangs fully down below a V hex flag and the four different levels of mines laid can be clearly seen

NO decision has been made as to which or even if for sure they will be added

Last edited by DRG; February 4th, 2023 at 04:42 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post: