The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Shrapnel General

Old June 14th, 2007, 06:49 PM

Private

Veitikka is on a distinguished road
Default Armored Brigade (upcoming wargame)

I am not absolutely sure if it's ok to post about my own project, but since here seems to be people with similiar interests...

Focus of Armored Brigade is in combined arms warfare. It has two settings, WW2 and Cold War. Maybe the best description would be something between Steel Panthers and Close Combat. I think this is quite unique game/simulation in today's offering.

The game is still in development, first release is probably in early 2008. Current graphics are temporary and so far completely done by me but when I get my artist working things should start looking prettier.

And best of all, it is 100% free! Yes, no commercials, no demos, no spyware.

You can find small project page with development screenshots here:

http://www.armoredbrigade.com

Comments are more than welcome.
Old June 15th, 2007, 04:22 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Armored Brigade (upcoming wargame)

Games like this do not generally interest me too much, so I will not comment on the game itself.

I will, however, note that posting only to promote your own games is generally considered fairly rude on most internet boards and this place is no exception. If you participate on the forums regularly, it would be a somewhat different matter, but right now, given that this is your only post, it gives the impression of an attempt to use Shrapnel Games resources (these forums) for free publicity without any actual interest in the games Shrapnel Games distributes.
Old June 15th, 2007, 05:21 AM

Private

Yes, I have interest in Shrapnel Games games, otherwise I would not be here. I am one of those who only read forums and do not post so much.

As far as I know, the only way to show your game to players (without buying marketing space) is to write in forums where the right players are. Of course there are developer forums but these are only for developers, not gamers. And I noticed here was some topic about independent games.

I am not making any money with this, just trying to make a good game for small audience. But still, I understand your point.
Old June 15th, 2007, 11:22 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

There is a historical wargames newsgroup which not only has many players but also people who write for those magazines.

Do you have any interest in getting the game marketed?
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old June 16th, 2007, 07:39 AM

Private

Could you tell me more about that newsgroup? I don't use newsgroups but maybe I could learn...

What kind of marketing do you mean? If you mean real marketing, I don't believe it is possible to make much money with game like this. I don't do this for money after all. But it would be nice to spread word when we are closer to release date.
Old June 16th, 2007, 12:39 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Usenet newsgroups. They are older than internet.
The easiest way to get to them (though it pains this oldtime netter to say so) is thru groups.google.com with your browser. But like many things on the net, if you get hooked then there is a better way thru specialized software for doing newsgroups. There are newsgroups for all kinds of game types.

By "real marketing" if you mean on the shelves and lots of paid advertising then you are probably correct. But there are levels that dont involve quite that much investment. Personal distribution is an option thru PoD sites such as CafePress if you want to take everything on yourself.

Or even better if you can get the attention of someone like Shrapnel which was started by a game developer to offer options other than having to take chances with those big animals. Shrapnel would be online ordering and publicity. They do really well at both and it doesnt force you to wait for years to pay back costs before seeing profits. Just IMHO of course. You would need to talk to them about it.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old June 20th, 2007, 11:15 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Annette is on a distinguished road

Your game looks very interesting. Please do keep us posted and let us know how we may be of help.

Annette
Old June 20th, 2007, 03:19 PM

Sergeant

RVPERTVS is on a distinguished road

This game looks interesting although I prefer TBS over RTS, how would I know when it´s released?

Regard
Robert
Old July 2nd, 2007, 02:27 PM

Private

I'll check those newsgroups.

I think that's maybe a bit double edged sword to make this a commercial product.. Publicity is nice but how many people are ready to pay for this game? It severely limits distribution. And if people must pay for it, game should be 99% ready when released. My plan is to build it to certain point and release it, then add features like scenarios and editors if there is enough interest.

RVPERTVS:

You can check this thread
Old July 2nd, 2007, 09:01 PM

Sergeant

RVPERTVS is on a distinguished road

This game looks good! I hope the "Time Compression" functon I see on the first shot allows issue orders while paused or slow down, like in RA and AATF, that would make a very detailed and interesting RTS if you ask me rather than a click fest, I know the argument that real commanders try themselves in a RT environment, I´m just saying you leave the option open. This well might be a game worth playing I´m always looking for. Is there any chance to get a demo scenario anytime soon?

Regards
Robert