.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old December 24th, 2014, 07:07 PM

Corporal

Grant1pa is on a distinguished road
Default Reindeer Games: Blood and Snow

Offering this as a Christmas Present. Real World responsibilities have prevented me from finishing the two additional installments of my Brigade Nord series, so I resurrected this scenario from my files and applied some of what you have taught me on designs.

This scenario is set in December 2015, after the actions in Northern Norway were stalled and then partially reversed. Russian Forces had sped through Finnish Lapland without opposition in April. Finland did not wish to become entangled in the Russian move into Norway and stood aside as Russian land and air assets transited their soil.

Now, in December, the Russians are facing economic problems at home and wish to bring an early end to the conflict. They crossed the Finnish Border and are striking deep into Finnish Territory.

The Finnish defense of Lapland is mismatched from the heavier Russian attackers. Leg infantry versus motorized infantry supported by tanks. However, the Finnish terrain and weather are on your side. Much as their forefathers did in the 20th Century, your forces are detailed to stop the heavier Russian Forces with individual courage and tactics. Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Tom
Attached Files
File Type: zip spscn630.zip (272.0 KB, 484 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grant1pa For This Useful Post:
Old January 4th, 2015, 11:35 PM

Corporal

Tomas is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Reindeer Games: Blood and Snow

I was playing this scenario with three pauses since the new year's eve and it was definitely fun. In my case, the battle ended with marginal victory and Russians never reached Ivalo. They started to lose cohesion since turn 30 because many tanks and APCs were already immobilised or destroyed. Finnish defenders paid huge price though, as most of their brave units at chokepoints were overrun.

My recommendations/ideas:

- Ammo! Finnish guys would hit and run, if they had some ammo for their AT weaponry. Perhaps some small central ammo dump or section with tracked carriers would definitely help. Most of the units were without ammo after first contact and didn't have any chance to replenish it and strike again later on.

- Just technical note - the Russian division mentioned in briefing was disbanded during the Russian army reforms, some other unit should be used (not totally recent OOB, but not old either baummil.org/RussianArmedForces.html)

- Regarding T-62M1V as MBT to do the decisive breakthrough to win the campaign for Russia -- sounds too desperate even for me.

Current Russian armor status [source: Military Balance 2014]:

Active:
350 - T-90/T90A
650 - T-80BV/U
150 - T-72B3
1400 - T-72B/BA

Reserves:
200 - T-90
3000 - T-80B/BV/U
7500 - T-72/T-72A/B
2000 - T-64A/B
2500 - T-62
2800 - T-55

Considering the above, I'd really leave this old machine as last choice for such task.

Thank you for the scen.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tomas For This Useful Post:
Old January 6th, 2015, 01:01 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
Current Russian armor status [source: Military Balance 2014]:

Active:
350 - T-90/T90A
650 - T-80BV/U
150 - T-72B3
1400 - T-72B/BA

Reserves:
200 - T-90
3000 - T-80B/BV/U
7500 - T-72/T-72A/B
2000 - T-64A/B
2500 - T-62
2800 - T-55
Useful information, thanks!

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suhiir For This Useful Post:
Old January 8th, 2015, 12:50 PM

Corporal

Grant1pa is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input Tomas!

I adjusted the TO&E for the Finnish infantry by adding some additional AT to them allowing for carrying. I thought of putting some ordinance caches into the mix but felt that it would be a little too complex for the scenario. I'll think about that.

I really appreciate the info/site on the current TO&E for the Russian units. My sources are dated to the 60's to 90's and the source you gave me will be useful.

I agree with the selection of the T62M1V. It was a quick choice to give some play balance due to the armor heavy assault against a pure infantry defense. I still have a few days of leave left and I'll look at updating the armor to a more accurate depiction of the OPFOR.

Thanks again, truly appreciated.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
My recommendations/ideas:

- Ammo! Finnish guys would hit and run, if they had some ammo for their AT weaponry. Perhaps some small central ammo dump or section with tracked carriers would definitely help. Most of the units were without ammo after first contact and didn't have any chance to replenish it and strike again later on.

- Just technical note - the Russian division mentioned in briefing was disbanded during the Russian army reforms, some other unit should be used (not totally recent OOB, but not old either baummil.org/RussianArmedForces.html)

- Regarding T-62M1V as MBT to do the decisive breakthrough to win the campaign for Russia -- sounds too desperate even for me.
Old January 11th, 2015, 07:02 PM

Sergeant

dmnt is on a distinguished road

Fun scenario. I was able to bog the enemy down by disappearing/reappearing act. In the end, I had destroyed 46 of AFVs and 72 APCs, but suffered a loss of all NA-140 TOWs as well as 4 AAMG equipped ones. Men lost: 138, enemy: 685.