The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Shrapnel General

Old October 27th, 2005, 10:08 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What Kind Of Games Would You Like To See Made?

Has Car Wars been mentioned? Track down whoever has the rights or maybe someone doing an open source version and pull them in here. Since I stopped working here I stopped roaming the SourceForge.net directories altho Im beginning to wish I had continued to direct devs here just for the market

I mentioned the old box game of Magic Realm didnt I? Fantastic game but too long to setup and tear down. I always thought it felt like a pre-PC effort to do things that a computerized version would sail thru

Gandalf Parker
--
not doing anything presently
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old October 27th, 2005, 01:22 PM

General

Ed Kolis is on a distinguished road

Gandalf, you're not working here anymore?
What's Magic Realm?
Old October 27th, 2005, 06:28 PM

General

capnq is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What's Magic Realm?
Magic Realm Avalon Hill, 1978

"Good morning, Pooh Bear," said Eeyore gloomily. "If it is a good morning," he said. "Which I doubt," said he.
Old October 30th, 2005, 11:15 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

No, we couldnt find enough overlap between my abilities and their needs. Im too paladin to pull a check that way
(at least from any company I like) . Maybe someday I will be able to fill a need here. No bridges burned.

Magic Realm was a fantastic board game which I feel was just timed badly. It beat the restrictions of board games by coming up with a great system for random maps, and random monsters, and random placement of teasure. You could even play it solo. Also multiple unique playing pieces which changed the game based on who you played. It still has faithful players even today.

The problem was that it took forever to do all the randomizing and put everything together to play, and almost as long to put the game away. And it came out just as PCs were coming out which made it obvious where games like that should be played. I think it helped bring that to everyones attention which of course we are all benefitting from.

I cant believe that it was never computerized. Some good programmer with zero creativity should have snagged it up and made a killing. Heck even the instruction manual reads like psuedo-code to me. And I love the rock-paper-scissors balance of it instead of chess-like equality. It might not be "the game of the year" but I think it would be quite playable and marketable with alot less effort than doing one from scratch. I might just be nostaglic but I dont think so.

There are some open source efforts going on. I was checking them regularly before. Maybe I should check again and diret them to Shrapnel.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old November 24th, 2005, 01:02 PM

Private

Neophyte is on a distinguished road

Car Wars would be great! I've fiddled around a bit now and again to make a vehicle design program. Maybe I should get back to that, but maybe start with the basic game subset and be expandable rather than try to tackle everything at once.

The other thing that I would like to see is a computerization of Vietnam: 1965-1975. Make it have a good AI and MP ability (perhaps a PBemail like Dom II) and I'd buy it. I enjoyed being able to pick units, getting the ANZAC and RoK forces for free, the ARVN politics (who can't resist a good coup in a wargame?) - I'm getting all excited here now.
Old December 2nd, 2005, 02:35 PM

Private

CaptLurch is on a distinguished road

I'd like to see something along the lines of Salvo, but during the Great War. Battle of Jutland, Falklands, the Med etc, including actions by the Seadler. The same thing for WWII would be nice as well.

Prussia's Glory, sounds interesting, but I can't try it since I use a Mac. So more Mac versions of everything would be nice.

Something based on WWI trench warfare would be cool, so long as ALL nations that took part are represented. Not just Britain, France, Germany, Russia, US.
Old December 17th, 2005, 05:21 PM

Private

Aetius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
FJ_MD said:
Hey guys..... what about an Emperor of the Fading Suns remake?
Add one more vote for an Emperor of the Fading Suns remake. I am glad that I kept my original CD, and documentation. Hands down the game has the best music of any game that I have played.
Old January 5th, 2006, 12:17 PM

Major General

Strategia_In_Ultima is on a distinguished road

I vote for an EFS remake too. AT, you should try it out; it may not be everything you mentioned, but it is a good approximation of what seems to be the gist of your request. You can battle it out on land, in the air, on the water and in space, and you must manage economies, morale of both troops and civilians, you must supply your soldiers, keep an eye on production and consumption of resources (you need your Monopols as-is in weapons production, but you must also sacrifice them in Singularity production, without which you are utterly incapable of building spaceships), manage diplomatic relations with four other Houses, the Merchant League and the Church (which, on a side note, is based on - no kidding - Holy Terra), all the while jockeying for position to become Imperial Regent and eventually Emperor. EFS is certainly one of the few games that to me are worth more than most of the rest of the market, simply because it is what it is, a combination of economy, diplomacy and strategy, which are all delicately intertwined.[/rant]

Emperor of the Fading Suns

You could also wait and see if Spore is something for you.
Old May 31st, 2006, 09:00 AM

Private

Aetius is on a distinguished road

Strategia_in_Ultima -

you make some really good points, which is why I think this game still has appeal after almost ten years since its realease date. Why there has not been any effort to put forth a remake is complete mystery to me. I know that at one time there was an effort to release Noble Armada but that too ended up stillborn, which is a shame. From what little I saw of Noble Armada it had promise. It would be interesting to take some the ship design/ship building elements of the Noble Armada game and combine it with an EFS remake.
Old June 13th, 2006, 05:55 AM

Soldat32

Quote:
Baron Munchausen said:
Ever played Emperor of the Fading Suns? This is a combined ground/space strategy game though it doesn't have very much in the way of 'simulation' features.
I remember that game and just a few days ago I found it in one of my boxes with the manual.It was a great game for its time.Very detailed but short on graphics.