.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old November 19th, 2007, 10:57 AM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road
Default Spell mods: self spells, madness and LoS need gem

Edit I've attached 1 zip with 2 mods.

self_spells.dm: Adds caster-only versions of Blessing, Body Ethereal, Flight, and Sermon of Courage, so your SC does not miss himself.

tomlos_gem.dm: Makes Legions of Steel fatigue 100 (needs a gem). Makes Touch of Madness fatigue 100 (needs a gem).

Original Post:

I wanted a "Bless Self" spell because I don't think a 100-precision Blessing by an SC should miss (but it does, even when you have no other units on the field).

It was easier then I expected (also attached, but it's so small I thought I'd include it inline too):

Code:

#modname "Add Bless Self"
#newspell
#copyspell "Blessing"
#name "Bless Self"
#descr "This spell can be used to bless the caster."
#aoe 0
#range 0
#precision 0
#end

Attached Files
File Type: zip 565406-vfb_spells.zip (602 Bytes, 297 views)
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?

Last edited by Edi; August 27th, 2008 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: Prefix
Old November 19th, 2007, 01:57 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Lazy_Perfectionist is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Spell: Bless Self

Thanks.
Old November 20th, 2007, 01:29 AM

Second Lieutenant

Juzza is on a distinguished road

if it misses just give it a slightly bigger area effect, there isn't anything wrong with making it have a bigger one, it'd just be like a normal bless spell except the target.

Dinnas'Arval Mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...nnas'Arval

Free Port:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...+nation&page=3

Currently working on:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...hlight=witcher
Inspired by the game The Witcher and the Witcher Novels.
Old November 20th, 2007, 03:26 AM

General

Well, then your H1 priest could bless (if you increase area to 10) 30 normal units instead of just 15. And an SC still could miss himself (though there would be less chance).

With this mod, the normal "Blessing" spell is still available. This mod just adds a new spell for SCs or Thugs who want to bless themselves before entering combat, without having to worry about spilling their holy water all over the place and not managing to get a drop on themselves, even though "Blessing" is a precision 100 spell.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
Old November 21st, 2007, 12:38 AM

Sergeant

paradoxharbinger is on a distinguished road

i wonder, can you put multiple effects into a spell? an interesting mod could make spells have a good and bad effect. for example, i cast fireball, but the laws of the universe dictate that i have to pay for that, and as such i take some frost damage. not really related, but your mod gave me the idea.

Get The MapGen Alpha

Get The Dom3 Unit Maker

I'm shoulder high in crap, and my water-wings are flat!
Old November 21st, 2007, 12:43 AM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

VFB's method is the best way I have found to handle such spells. I created a spell called "Fade into the Veil" for one of my nations. The spell was meant to be a self castable body ethereal. After fiddling around with a few methods, I ended up handling the spell in the exact same manner as VFB handled his spell.
Old November 21st, 2007, 01:00 AM

General

Quote:
paradoxharbinger said:
i wonder, can you put multiple effects into a spell? an interesting mod could make spells have a good and bad effect. for example, i cast fireball, but the laws of the universe dictate that i have to pay for that, and as such i take some frost damage. not really related, but your mod gave me the idea.
That sounds really cool, and it would probably shift gameplay more towards armies.

But I don't think it's current possible, because first, there's only one 'effect' (which is not a bitmask), and second, there's no way to specify with 2 "number of effects" that one is range 0, and the other has range 25 (or whatever).
Old November 21st, 2007, 01:15 AM

General

Quote:
Foodstamp said:
VFB's method is the best way I have found to handle such spells. I created a spell called "Fade into the Veil" for one of my nations. The spell was meant to be a self castable body ethereal. After fiddling around with a few methods, I ended up handling the spell in the exact same manner as VFB handled his spell.
Are there any other spells this could be done for? I think most other buffs already have a lower level 'caster only' version. I'd like to make a mod which includes all of these 'buff self' spells.
Old November 21st, 2007, 02:49 AM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
vfb said:
Are there any other spells this could be done for? I think most other buffs already have a lower level 'caster only' version. I'd like to make a mod which includes all of these 'buff self' spells.
Here are some:
Berserk, Aim, Earth Might, Haste, Legions of Steel, Weapons of Sharpness, Sermon of Courage, Flight

And more (these are a bit silly)
Life after Death, Flaming Arrows, Army of Gold/Lead.

If you need to ask something about modding, you can contact me here.

See this thread for the latest info concerning my mods.
Old November 23rd, 2007, 07:28 PM

General

Thanks for the ideas.

Berserk is precision 0, so I won't add it.

The self-affecting version of Aim is Eagle Eyes; I don't want to make that spell obsolete.

Earth Might is also precision 0.

Legions of Steel and Weapons of Sharpness are AoE 25, I don't think they'll miss, and they are also precision 0.

I did add "Fly", "Courage", and "Fade" ... "Fade" is self-body-ethereal, which sounds too ugly to me.