.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old November 13th, 2008, 12:40 AM

Captain

licker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: All MA Nations Game - Any interest? - Signup/Open/Recruiting

Oh, and I would vote FOR using CBM if you are still considering it.

Though I'm still game if you decide against it.
Old November 13th, 2008, 05:21 AM

Corporal

alhorro is on a distinguished road

I'd like to join with Mictlan.
And what's with the hosting interval? Settings are great for me, but it's very irritating when the interval moves to 48h+ early. (:
Old November 13th, 2008, 05:39 AM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

You are of course more than welcome to use the LlamaServer.

Sounds like this'll be a fun game.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old November 13th, 2008, 10:15 AM

Captain

cleveland is on a distinguished road

licker - I'd like to keep the game mod-free, if it's OK with everyone. While the base game isn't perfectly balanced, the cleaver members of this Mensa-esque community tend to compensate beautifully through trade, diplomacy & cunning. But thanks for still sticking around!

alhorro - Mictlan's yours. Re: Hosting. I also hate when the game grinds to a snail's pace by turn 15. But I also understand that some players have important jobs curing cancer and will probably need some flexibility. I've given it some thought, and will post my proposed hosting schedule shortly.

Llamabeast - Thank you very much! I certainly expect it to be fun, right up until the bitter self-loathing that accompanies a crushing defeat.
Old November 13th, 2008, 11:20 AM

Captain

cleveland is on a distinguished road
Default Re: All MA Nations Game - Any interest? - Signup/Open/Recruiting (only 10 left)

I propose the following novel hosting scheme. I hope to hear some feedback...

In general, the game will run on a 27hr quickhost. 27hr is unusual, but I think it will keep the game @ 1 turn/day longer than a 24hr quickhost would by mitigating the time-crunch issues that usually cause a game to switch from 24hrs to 48hrs. For example, let's say a player begins his turns at 9pm each night. If he submits at 10pm, and he's the last to do so, then the deadline for the following turn will be 10pm. So the following night, he begins at 9pm, and is last to submit at 9:45pm...eventually, like a fossil-fuel-based-economy, this system collapses, and that player complains he can't get his turns done in 24hrs, invariably leading to a 48hr schedule. By setting the quickhost to 27hrs, everyone will ALWAYS have an additional 3hr buffer to micro-script for those important battles, which will hopefully allow for several months of smooth 1 turn/day play.

The game will change to a 51hr quickhost only when a majority of players vote to do so. Following standard parliamentary procedure, when any player feels the game timer should be permanently increased, he makes a motion to do so by posting in this game thread; if another player seconds that motion, a vote will be held: all players vote to either increase the timer or not. Quorum shall be 75% of ACTIVE players, and >50% vote wins. If the vote fails, no new vote can be held for at least 2 full turns. Similar votes must be held to move to 75hrs, etc. Just like in the real US Senate, I suspect laziness will act to maintain the status quo until change is absolutely necessary (God bless America, land of oppor-lethargy )

There will be 3 exceptions to the above schedule:
1) The game will begin on a Saturday @ 12pm GMT, and be on a 12hr quickhost until the following Monday @ 12am GMT. This is 36hr @ 12hr quickhost, so we should be able to push through at least the first 3 turns during the first weekend, probably more. Given that it takes most cognizent beings approximately 37sec to complete these turns, this is a very reasonable way to get the game rolling quickly. If we fill up soon, we'll start this Saturday (11/15); otherwise we'll start on 11/21. After that first weekend, we'll immediately assume the above 27hr schedule and stick to it.
2) During major "traveling" holidays, when most go to visit with family, hosting will be postponed during the travel period, and quickhost will be turned off. Don't be that guy that skulks off to the john with his laptop during Thanksgiving dinner to check for new .trns. Spend time with your families, come back to Dom3 afterward. Here in the US, the next 2 upcoming holidays are Thanksgiving (11/27) Christmas/New Year's; the game will consequently be postponed from 11/26-12/1, and from 12/23-1/2. If you have any similar holidays, let me know and we'll make similar arrangements.
3) Reasonable extensions will be granted upon request. Kindly give everyone as much warning as possible, nobody likes to get a delay message 4min before hosting. If you feel you can't keep up with your turns, please request a sub early, nobody likes a Houdini.

Thoughts?

Last edited by cleveland; November 13th, 2008 at 11:24 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to cleveland For This Useful Post:
Old November 13th, 2008, 12:14 PM

Captain

licker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: All MA Nations Game - Any interest? - Signup/Open/Recruiting (only 10 left)

Those holiday delays work well for me! I'll be gone from 11/26-11/30 and from 12/20 (a bit early...) to 1/4 (a bit late)...

so I suppose I may need a sub for a couple of turns around your proposed xmas break.

Also, I'm not married in any way to CBM, I just prefer its flexibility in nation design, but as I said, I'm happy to stick with vanilla as well.
Old November 13th, 2008, 12:18 PM

Colonel

DonCorazon is on a distinguished road

You may have ascended into the Dominions lexicon with that post - I may propose all my games be hosted "Cleveland style". I would add an idea (IIRC from Omnirizon) that turn reminders be sent out 9 hours in advance so most anyone with average or below sleeping habits has a shot at getting a reminder while still awake.

Everything sounds fine to me.
i crossed blades with the mightiest warriors of the golden age. i witnessed with sorrow the schism that led to the passing of legends. now my sword hangs in its scabbard, with nothing but memories to keep it warm.
Old November 13th, 2008, 12:55 PM

Sergeant

Nikelaos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveland View Post
We filled 12 of 23 nations in just 5hrs. Awesome.

Xeitor - Sorry, but it'd be against the spirit of the game to change anything, though I'd personally be very interested in trying out your mod for myself.

Fakeymcfake - You got it. The Pythanese await your orders.

Mithras - Welcome to MP! Oceania has a bit of a bad reputation, so expect a rough row to hoe. If you haven't seen it, I HIGHLY recommend reading Baalz pseudo-guide on Oceania, which should give you an idea of what they might face in an MP environment.
i never really got why oceania has such a bad reputation?

itchycentaurs should be the scourge of R'lyeh early game but seem to be overlooked, i mean they are too skilled to be taken out by R'lyehs chaff slaves, to big to be trampled by shambler thralls, and have unusually high magic resistance aswell as being exellent flanking troops to bust those tentacled fellows.

against atlantis they also fair pretty well except perhaps against those lobsters, but there are cheap ways around that.

krakens are an easy way to stop lobsters and with oceania being able to use that nature spell that calls animals depending on the terrain they tend to get a handful of kraken with the usual batch of chaffy sea critters.

later on you have naiad warriors, nice aquatic guys with awe - and they come in groups of 15. And gift of health to give you more of an edge.

and so on and so forth i could keep going on about how you can take out both atlantis and R'lyeh possibly before the late game. Oceania i accept tends to be weaker than the other two late game but they are more than competative early game and have a decent chance mid game.

Mithras embrace you're nature magic, an earlly game n2 thaumaturgy spell tends to work quite well *hint*hint*
Old November 13th, 2008, 01:31 PM

Corporal

Mithras is on a distinguished road

*Takes notes*
Old November 13th, 2008, 02:03 PM

Corporal

BesucherXia is on a distinguished road

This seems to be a nice game. Please let me join you as Ulm.

Last edited by BesucherXia; November 13th, 2008 at 02:22 PM..