.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old November 7th, 2009, 09:01 AM

Second Lieutenant

namad is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Land Rand (pbem)

I think I underestimated how much a two turn rollback would effect the game.

Anyways, this alternate reality has played out so much worse for me than the original one that I can't stomach playing anymore. My position is unwinnable but you can feel free to try to find a sub for it. (Although it's hard to find subs for awful positions and games suffer less when awful positions stale or ai).

Also, taking a week to go from turn15 to turn16 didn't make it any easier to cope with the shift. As by the time turn 16 rolled around, I'd lost a lot of interest in the game. Overall, I found the large game+lax hosting rules policy to be fairly aggravating... a small game with lax hosting policies isn't so bad because there aren't enough people to abuse the goodwill but in a large game it just seems like an endless problem.

I'm contemplating quitting overlords as well ... all the confusing hoops dom3 players have to go through to play dom3 have been wearing on me slowly for a year... I wish dom3 had 'real' multiplayer that didn't require so many gimmicks to make work. Like civilization4 or warcraft3 or etc...
Old November 7th, 2009, 10:24 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by namad View Post
I'm contemplating quitting overlords as well ... all the confusing hoops dom3 players have to go through to play dom3 have been wearing on me slowly for a year... I wish dom3 had 'real' multiplayer that didn't require so many gimmicks to make work. Like civilization4 or warcraft3 or etc...
And you're not even an overlord to have to jump through all the hoops in that game.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old November 7th, 2009, 04:15 PM

Second Lieutenant

The only reason I mentioned overlords is because it is now my only game and being my only game... if I were to quit all my games... this would be the same as quitting only it... theres nothing specific about overlords except that if I quit all the games I was in it would be included...

Futhermore, the hoops are the entire lack of multiplayer support.... not odd rules added.

A one turn rollback generally doesn't have much variation in the orders given so generally doesn't have much in the way of new non-random outcomes. A two turn rollback not only gives everyone lots of additional information but the ability to act on it as well. I can understand how llamaserver wouldn't know if someone was set to AI... but how someone who hosted by hand wouldn't've noticed that caelum never emailed in a turn 14 file is odd...

Dwelling on petty issues like this and feeling guilty about how much importance I place on things so petty.... this is what's led me to be unable to play. I can't play a game that makes me so upset with people who did so little to me.
Old November 7th, 2009, 07:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

djo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by namad View Post
I can understand how llamaserver wouldn't know if someone was set to AI... but how someone who hosted by hand wouldn't've noticed that caelum never emailed in a turn 14 file is odd...
The answer to that is simple. With something like 12-15 players still in the game, I didn't count emails. I started up Dominions and looked to see which nations didn't have played turns. I didn't notice that there was one fewer nation in the list.

Plus, I was guest-hosting a total of three games, so I was juggling a lot of emails and three different hosting schedules, a few with player-subs and other delays. Not that I'm complaining, but my focus wasn't as complete as it could have been. I missed it when Caelum went AI, and I apologize for that.
Old November 7th, 2009, 07:47 PM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road

namad, I can relate to your frustration. I can tell you that I have been frustrated in the past with dominions b/c of one reason or another. For me the root cause is that I got really involved in my games, too involved for my own good
So at the past I could get upset by in game events like unexpected betrayals for example or what I considered to be unfair alliances against me. I never spoke much about this b/c I considered the fault to have been my own and always reminded myself of the "it's just a game" mantra. For me, it helped.

Also, I've witnessed first person on many occasions players that got so mad about dominions, or more accurately, fellow players. I've known at least one player who has completely slammed the door on dominions. Another that was extremely upset with me for reasons I don't want to mention (so as to keep that Pandora box close ).

Anyway, all that said I think it would be really nice of you to cont. playing this game. This would be very considerate towards all the players. You see, even a small nation that goes AI so early can create serious ripples in power balance and give unfair advantage to its opportunistic neighbors thus punishing most other players in the game and rewarding whom is/are your current enemies. This is mainly the reason I myself don't surrender even when all hope is gone. My meager reward is conjuring the face of my oppressor as he checks his turns and realizes how dearly he pays to gain my last territories

Anyway it's just a request. If playing this game so chaffs on your nerves then by all means go ahead & reject it.
Old November 7th, 2009, 08:31 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Ah, that is what you meant. I get it now.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old November 7th, 2009, 08:46 PM

General

PashaDawg is on a distinguished road

Hi Namad:

I hope you'll continue to play. However, I can try to find a substitute if necessary, and it would be nice if you could try to find a sub, too. (Please, continue playing until a sub is found, at the very least.)

Regarding the host not noticing a player going AI, djo was merely a substitute host. He was kind enough to take three games off my hands while I traveled, which was a big favor. He did an excellent job. I owe him chocolate. It is not surprising that he would not notice that a player went AI or foresee that it would be a big issue. I will try to check to see if any players go AI unannounced in the future, but it is very easy to overlook when you're hosting and not playing.

Again, it's great to have you in the game, and I hope you'll stay in it.

Pasha
Old November 8th, 2009, 01:29 AM

BANNED USER

Omnirizon is on a distinguished road

Folks,

I'm traveling will be in tomorrow night, but it will be a little past 9 before I get it. I will send it in that night, but it will probably be around 11am.

can you please wait till i'm in to host?

PS. I do have internet, and I installed dom3 on this machine, but it is new machine and I forgot to enter copy protection, so I can't play it
Old November 8th, 2009, 02:07 AM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road

I would probably never do a rollback again, unless the game had become broken in some way.

I occasionally post something useful.
Old November 8th, 2009, 10:04 AM

Second Lieutenant

There is absolutely no chance of me playing out this game.

I will also not be looking for a substitute player.

I could elaborate and explain but last time I tried that there was some confusion about my point. I do tend to ramble... furthermore I really hate arguing and slander and fighting and every time I try to type it up... it feels slanderous, rude, or identical to my previous posts.

I will however be willing to compile all of the files I ever received for the game and forward them to whoever might be interested (although I assume pashadawg has these files... if this were a llamaserver game though he wouldn't...)