.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old July 7th, 2013, 10:50 PM

Corporal

BigDuke66 is on a distinguished road
Question Advise needed - Campaign "Sturmgeschütz Brigade 276"

Has anyone tried it with the latest version?
I failed already in the first battle, no clue how you can achieve enough points to get at least the minor victory progress in this campaign

I think main problem is time, first battle is only 11 turns long and that means risky movements to get something done but that also leads to higher losses but in that way I can't get the point advantage for a minor victory.
11 as visibility does also not help as I have to get really close to see something and that deletes the advantage of the StuGs to fight the enemy with superior accuracy.

Besides that I also wonder if the core units are set correctly, scenario talks of a battery of StuGs but around the time(9/43) a battery should be 10 not 6 StuGs like the current setup is.

The additional troops I put together for the battle were:
-StuG Zug /3 with StuG III G
-2x PzGrZug gep (a)
-2x Spaehtrupp(the one with the Panzerfaust)
-2x PzH 18 Wespe

Didn't go bad but lost 2 StuGs and in the end didn't have enough time to wipe out the Russians and get the objectives, I barely made some points more than the enemy, not even close to the 2x advantage I need for a minor victory.

Next attempt went worse, this time with a setup without artillery and more infantry and the attempt to get them by going in from the south. Moving off the road already took many turns to get into position south of the village.

So any advise is very welcome.
Old July 8th, 2013, 07:53 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Advise needed - Campaign "Sturmgeschütz Brigade 276"

Visibility is 11 because you start close to the objectives so don't have far to go. Just buy some basic artillery 82mm mortars or even infantry company with separate 50cm mtrs as visibility is 11.
Use smoke screen at the start to sprint along the roads or even risk a ride on a Stug.
Remember to z fire & suppress the enemy to make them easier to spot. Infantry Co with integral mortars & perhaps one with separate for the smoke plus a few other arty pieces & perhaps a couple of scouts let you find the enemy suppress & lay smoke to fight in "corridors"
Old July 8th, 2013, 10:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

jivemi is on a distinguished road

Playing the individual scenario (#141--StuG 276 on the Dniepr), and assuming that's the first battle, I'd second what Imp said. Especially the parts about smoke and z-fire. Sometimes you can even shoot through buildings. If you suspect--or know--an enemy's there, blast it with area fire before advancing.
Old July 9th, 2013, 01:01 PM

Corporal

BigDuke66 is on a distinguished road

I tried it now with a different setup:
-8x 8cm mortars
-3x StuH42
-3x Panzergrenadier Zug

The pre-planned bombardment of 8x 8cm mortars seems to have made them keep their heads down but also rise enough dirt to cover my advance. And I kept bombarding him, in the end I used all ammo up.

I also advanced in a tighter formation with the StuH on the main road and the Stugs close to the North and South.
But the real key is that the Russians counter attack as soon as the first objectives change hand, if the German player now keeps good positions he can take anything down that comes his direction including their tanks, after that he makes the final push and that's it.
Did win this time only with 11 men lost.