This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old December 10th, 2006, 11:00 PM

Private

Gusset is on a distinguished road
Default Getting fighters out of planetary cargo

I can't seem to reliably get fighters where I want them to be.

Once they are in space, I can move them around a solar system. That isn't a problem.

The problem comes when I'm trying to do a non-combat launch from a carrier or planetary cargo, or transfer them to/from planetary cargo from/to a carrier. The cargo transfer and unit launch menu items have not been performing reliably; once in a while they get into space, but more often than not, my orders seem to be ignored. I have had fighters stuck in cargo holds of planets for many turns...can't launch them into space where they would be able to move to and participate in warp point or planetary defence, and I can't get the things into or out of my carriers either.

Sometimes it appears as if one or two of them do what I want, but the rest of the group does not. The manual says that transfers are limitless (ie you can do infinite transfers in a turn), if I understand it correctly.

This problem is occurring in a simultaneous turn (MP) game.

Any insight? Are there known bugs in the cargo transfer functions, and if so, is there a workaround?
Old December 11th, 2006, 04:42 PM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Getting fighters out of planetary cargo

Are you using Transfer Cargo, Launch Units, or Launch Units remotely?

I've had some problems with Transfer and Launch (mainly population transfer), but using Launch Units Remotely has always worked. For a planet, just select the same hex as the remote target.

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old December 11th, 2006, 06:00 PM

Sergeant

Santiago is on a distinguished road

Fighter pilots are notoriously independent, maybe you're not offering the right incentives to go out and fly

Or they have big hangovers -please schedule launches for the late afternoon
Old December 11th, 2006, 06:42 PM

Private

Gusset is on a distinguished road

Santiago must have it right. Too many "fighter cannon fodder" combat reports.

Phoenix, I've tried Transfer Cargo and Launch Units. There may be a hook that has to do with whether you select an existing fighter group that's already in orbit (on the right side of the window), to indicate "launch these units into this existing group". Another thing that could be related is that sometimes, I am unable to use the condensed view (the box is greyed out), which means I have to individually click on a whole bunch of single fighters. I don't know why condensed view is sometimes disabled.

I need to run a few tests to see if I can replicate the problem in another game, and try to narrow it down.

Something else that I also notice is that when I select a unit to launch or transfer (in the case of cargo transfer), it just throws a picture of the source planet/ship on the top of the list, along with a kt number. No indication of the actual item being launched/transferred, or where it's going. Just the source planet or ship that it's coming from.

Also, after calling for a cargo transfer or unit recovery, only half the units involved actually have the transfer listed in their orders. For example, I give orders to a planet to transfer fighters to a carrier. Well, the planet shows a "drop cargo" order, but the carrier's orders show nothing.

I wonder if it has to do with simultaneous turns. In a turn based game, the transfer happens as soon as you click on the button, but in a simultaneous game you're only giving orders to be executed between the turns.

Oh, well. I'll figure it out, hopefully.
Old December 11th, 2006, 07:16 PM

Private

The Gnome is on a distinguished road

I want to try launch population sometime... do you need a special component for that?

"Ensign Smith... Please Report to Torpedo Room #2."
Old December 11th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

For example, I give orders to a planet to transfer fighters to a carrier. Well, the planet shows a "drop cargo" order, but the carrier's orders show nothing.

Well, in this case, it is because the carrier isn't doing anything.
The planet is sending the fighters. You could also order the carrier to load fighters, but that would be redundant.

If you're going to have the carrier move off to engage the enemy later that turn, you'll want to have it actively load instead of passively having the cargo dropped to it.