.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 20th, 2007, 03:36 PM

Major

KissBlade is on a distinguished road
Default Why are S&A CM\'s still old...?

It doesn't really make sense since they're pretty much the only mages you can use in battle AND are cap only for a magic oriented nation. Internal Alchemy is garbage, 12 gems is a lot and you can't expect to turn back all your aging mages that way. Plus these guys were supposed to be near immortals. S&A isn't a nation that's in trouble really of any sort, they're a good nation but I don't understand why not remove the old age just?
Old October 20th, 2007, 06:46 PM

Corporal

Chris_Byler is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Why are S&A CM\'s still old...?

They're old because they've lived a long time? I don't really understand the question. Did you expect them to be some kind of supernatural being that never ages? (Well actually, they can, for enough gems...)

Cap only isn't much of a restriction for people who can fly and teleport (with a borrowed booster item).

Illwinter didn't add the old age system just to remove it for anyone that it might be inconvenient for (which is anyone mortal).

There's a good argument for modifying the way age affects some nations (especially Abysia), but TC isn't really one of them.
Old October 20th, 2007, 07:19 PM

Brigadier General

Shovah32 is on a distinguished road

I think he just doesn't think they should have old age, being almost immortals.
Old October 20th, 2007, 09:58 PM

Major

Quote:
Chris_Byler said:
They're old because they've lived a long time? I don't really understand the question. Did you expect them to be some kind of supernatural being that never ages? (Well actually, they can, for enough gems...)

Cap only isn't much of a restriction for people who can fly and teleport (with a borrowed booster item).

Illwinter didn't add the old age system just to remove it for anyone that it might be inconvenient for (which is anyone mortal).

There's a good argument for modifying the way age affects some nations (especially Abysia), but TC isn't really one of them.
Well for one, the spell is broken. Second, I've already dressed that the spell is pretty crappy for it's effect since it doesn't even cure the disease you get from old age. And cap only is a pretty big problem late game considering your non cap mages aren't too great in battle and the cm's suffer from old age and mind duel weakness. Old age does affect S&A drastically, I don't know what you're talking about. Their mage picks are already so random that you're hanging on any a3's with tooth and nail and if that one gets old, you're pretty po'd cause you're stuck with a bunch of glorified /regular Caelum seraphs/. (which you end up paying more for) This is BAD considering S&A is supposed to be a magic oriented nation.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 09:10 AM

Second Lieutenant

Humakty is on a distinguished road

TC has a good army in Middle era, wih a very complete OB, and they have a great magical diversity.
Old age is their only drawback, even if due to their magic picks they have a crippled middle game.
As for their old age, they reached their position studying all their life , that's why they are old.
I would like my marignon mages to have greater magical potential, due to the fact they are old too, and not half as good in magic than the mages of TC.

Senior member of the GLIN !
Old October 22nd, 2007, 09:19 AM

Corporal

void is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Humakty said:
TC has a good army in Middle era, wih a very complete OB, and they have a great magical diversity.
Old age is their only drawback, even if due to their magic picks they have a crippled middle game.
As for their old age, they reached their position studying all their life , that's why they are old.
I would like my marignon mages to have greater magical potential, due to the fact they are old too, and not half as good in magic than the mages of TC.

"S&A" means Spring and Autumn. It's the early age TC. They practiced Internal Alchemy but the Thousand Years Ginseng is yet under development - tho Kissblade might just consider TYG another junk (80% cost compare to IA and only 1/3 effective).
Old October 22nd, 2007, 09:29 AM

Second Lieutenant

Humakty is on a distinguished road

OOps sorry.
I played only once with it, and I think they could be boosted, their only nice features are capital only, as far as I can remember.(crappy OB, crappy mages)
But I tested them in v 3.06(or.04?), haven't they been changed since ?

Senior member of the GLIN !
Old October 22nd, 2007, 06:12 PM

Major

Thousand year ginseng can't be used by celestial mages =( Plus it's a little overpriced. 2-3 gems is a much more appropriate cost for /Internal alchemy/ so 1-2 gems is more about right for the ginseng. Personally they were fine in dom 2's cb modded S&A. Essentially they were s2 and no old age. s1 isn't so bad considering the 10% now and the lack of huge astral powers in EA but s1 and old age is pretty darn lame when you compare them to say Caelum who has better mages in both cap and non cap AND better army capabilities.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 07:50 PM

Corporal

ryo_akashi is on a distinguished road

I propose allowing thousand year ginseng to be castable upon any commanders. The caster can select a commander to reduce the age.

Thematically, ginsengs are rare objects usable by anyone. The emperors won't be keeping the imperial alchemists on the payroll if the ginsengs do not affect them.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 08:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

konming is on a distinguished road

That said, I think the gisengs and internal alchemy should have a much more drastic effecitve to be worthwhile. Say reduce age by 20 and 40 respectively.