The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old January 28th, 2012, 04:40 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Default winSPMBT - Brigade Combat Teams

2012/02/25
After consideration from fellow wargamers posting in this thread, I'm posting the Combined Arms Batalion (CAB) Tank Team. I've added a few formations to the OOB12 file in slots above 900. Check out the chart and let me know what you think. Notably, a Javelin team is attached to a Mech Inf and Cavalry Platoon. Additionally, I've created an Attack/Recon Helo Platoon composed of an AH-64 and an OH-58 helo. I believe Artillery will remain at Brigade, therefore, I did not include arty units.

2012/01/28
I'm not satisfied with the current US OOB as it seems to harken back to the ACR days. I would like to build tank and mech inf teams similar to what we find today as a result of the Army's creation of brigade combat teams.

For example, the Army has placed calvary units in Bradlys tasked with recon, screen, and security missions. The ACR is no more and we find armor units are once again pure tank companies. However, if I want to create a combined arms tank team, I have to purchase my units ad hoc as there are no organic tank or mech inf teams in the US OOB.

A tank team may have a section of SP arty, but we can not purchase a SP arty section from the US OOB. I need a lt attack helo and an Apache but I can not purchase a single Kiowa from the current US OOB. These are just a few hurdles I have to address when designing a scenario using the Army's BCT combined arms force.

As I understand winSPMBT, we can create formations for inclusion in the US OOB or simply create a modified OOB. However, does that mean, a designer has to port the modified OOB when publishing the scenario?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3x2 CAB Tank Team Org Chart v2.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	11706  

Last edited by shahadi; February 25th, 2012 at 10:47 PM..
Old January 28th, 2012, 05:09 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: winSPMBT - Brigade Combat Teams

If THE ONLY thing you modify in the OOB is the formations then no, users will not require a modified OOB to play the scenario.
But, if you make ANY changes to units or weapons then they will.

That help?

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old January 28th, 2012, 05:49 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.

Thanks. Your comment is very useful as I'm trying to build a HBCT formation. Question, the Lt Attack Helo is a section in the US OOB, can I create a formation of a single Kiowa without having to port the OOB with the scenario?
Old January 28th, 2012, 06:38 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahadi View Post
Thanks. Your comment is very useful as I'm trying to build a HBCT formation. Question, the Lt Attack Helo is a section in the US OOB, can I create a formation of a single Kiowa without having to port the OOB with the scenario?
Again, as long as the ONLY thing you create is a formation, no.

You can also buy a pair of 2 x helo formations then attach the x1 unit from the first formation to the second. Creating 1 x helo (x0) and a 3 x helo (y0, y1, y2) formations. Then delete the second formation.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old January 30th, 2012, 06:25 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

If you do build additional formations build them above 900 they post the OOB here and if I can use them I will incorporate them into the game OOB.

Just follow the existing formula. Don't be "creative" and add ambulances or ammo trucks to a Coy and don't build something you cannot already create by buying existing formations but if it passes all that then I'm interested

Don
Old January 30th, 2012, 06:43 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:

A tank team may have a section of SP arty, but we can not purchase a SP arty section from the US OOB. I need a lt attack helo and an Apache but I can not purchase a single Kiowa from the current US OOB.

You WILL when the next patch is released....

These are easy changes that fit in with the existing structure so what else do you need? We can provide the building blocks once we know what's required and then players can build the formations they need. Just don't build something with Tanks, Helos and SP arty all combined together
Don
Old January 30th, 2012, 08:10 PM

Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Quote:

A tank team may have a section of SP arty, but we can not purchase a SP arty section from the US OOB. I need a lt attack helo and an Apache but I can not purchase a single Kiowa from the current US OOB.

You WILL when the next patch is released....

These are easy changes that fit in with the existing structure so what else do you need? We can provide the building blocks once we know what's required and then players can build the formations they need. Just don't build something with Tanks, Helos and SP arty all combined together
Don
Thanks DRG for the encouragement. I will continue to look into the requirements for Heavy Brigade Combat Teams as I notice there is a Stryker Brigade Combat Team in the OOB so I'll leave that one alone.

As for building blocks I am putting those requirements together while looking at what is in the existing OOB. The current TO&E seems a very good match just needs a little tweaking here and there as Shuiir suggests in the case of the Lt Attach Helo. Essentially, I'd look for platoon of 4 tanks, a separate tank HQ formation of a tank and a BFV, a platoon of mech inf in BFVs of seven man squads, a separate mech inf HQ formation, a platoon of Cav scouts riding in Bradleys of six vehicle squads of four man squads (3 or 4 man squads), a sp arty section, a single Kiowa in either a soout or lt attack package, single spaa (the linebacker will have to do) formation, a single ammo truck (to attach as a combat train to each platoon of tanks or to support mech inf units,) a single BFV that could serve as HQ command vehicle or as taxi for atgm teams, etc.
Old January 31st, 2012, 02:58 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

On the helcopter issue you can buy a formation (any) then assign the 2nd helicopter to that formation on the deploy screen. Now go back into the buy screen & "sell" that formation & your left with one helo.
Old January 31st, 2012, 06:56 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Units that only exist as part of a higher formation we build as Nation 0 so they only show up in the higher formations and that's the way "a separate tank HQ formation of a tank and a BFV" should be built .....as Nation 0 then added to the larger formation.

Don
Old January 31st, 2012, 08:24 PM

Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Units that only exist as part of a higher formation we build as Nation 0 so they only show up in the higher formations and that's the way "a separate tank HQ formation of a tank and a BFV" should be built .....as Nation 0 then added to the larger formation.

Don
I built it as a company of Nation 12 but ran into several problems. For clarity, I'd list the Tank HQ formation as Nation 0 as a company, platoon, section or combat group. Now, if my higher formation is a Company, then the Tank HQ must be either a section or a platoon, right? And if so, then how would I assign the two or three tank platoons to a Tank HQ that is configured as a section or platoon? Thanks.