BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old June 6th, 2015, 11:48 AM

Corporal

chris h is on a distinguished road
Default Drifting artillery

Does any one have figures (%) to go with the chance of artillery drifting? I know there's a lot of factors involved in accurate fire but there must be some core figures.
Old June 6th, 2015, 04:49 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Drifting artillery

Core figures in this game are fairly irrelevant as there are many other factors that can adjust them..
Eyes on target is all you really need to know, you will never predict drift because you shouldn't be able to as you are calling in on an area & cant see the target.

If you want to call in unseen fires more accurately on expected avenues of approach place a "gold spot" & use it.
Old June 7th, 2015, 03:04 AM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Core figures in this game are fairly irrelevant as there are many other factors that can adjust them..
Eyes on target is all you really need to know, you will never predict drift because you shouldn't be able to as you are calling in on an area & cant see the target.

If you want to call in unseen fires more accurately on expected avenues of approach place a "gold spot" & use it.
I was expecting that answer.

In the scenario I'm playing I have a large wood, visibility down to one hex. It has to be cleared and advancing through it without using artillery is painful on the infantry. This leaves two options.

Moving next to the enemy hoping your not going to get blown away before plotted artillery falls is suicide.

This leaves setting your artillery to hexes you can't see, but too close hurts, too far away is ineffective.

Is the drift on small artillery less than larger calibers?
Old June 7th, 2015, 03:24 AM

Sergeant

Griefbringer is on a distinguished road

If you need to call fire close to your own positions, I would recommend using small caliber weapons, like 60 mm mortars or 75 mm guns. That way possible drift close to your own positions is likely to cause less harm to you, but they are still perfectly good for suppressing the enemy.

Have you tried using MG units with Z-fire to provide some suppression on suspected enemy positions?
Old June 7th, 2015, 08:55 AM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griefbringer View Post
If you need to call fire close to your own positions, I would recommend using small caliber weapons, like 60 mm mortars or 75 mm guns. That way possible drift close to your own positions is likely to cause less harm to you, but they are still perfectly good for suppressing the enemy.

Have you tried using MG units with Z-fire to provide some suppression on suspected enemy positions?
I hadn't until now. I knew you could area fire through smoke but not woods. You learn something every day. I've also found out that main tank guns will also area fire though a wood.

Thanks
Old June 7th, 2015, 12:25 PM

Sergeant

Griefbringer is on a distinguished road

Remember that the Z-fire can easily drift a hex or two, so it is not totally safe to your own infantry near-by.

Another thing with using big guns against forest hexes is that they may start fires. If you are planning to advance through a particular area, then forest fires are likely to be bad news, since they tend to cause suppression and thus slow down your advance (which will already be slow).

On related note, using very big guns (large enough to cause holes) against forest hexes is likely to also slow down the advance, since most units will end up moving only a hex or two per turn in such terrain.
The Following User Says Thank You to Griefbringer For This Useful Post:
Old June 8th, 2015, 11:43 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

As mentioned close support artillery is best being small calibre, I normally use 50 - 80mm mortars.
Their main use is suppression rather than killing to let you move adjacent relatively safely.
They have a high ROF so still supress relatively well even if not fired to full effect.
Basically high ROF low kill number is what your after.
Old June 11th, 2015, 07:47 PM

Corporal

Warwick is on a distinguished road

If you can, lead with small size units such as scouts, hopefully the enemy will be suppressed enough not to notice them. You then blaze away, causing maybe a few casualties and further suppression before moving in with a full size unit to finish the job. However the above procedure is fraught with peril due to the risk of unspotted units and multiple units in hexes. Make sure everyone has their wills updated and final letters to next of kin prepared! Good luck!

Regards,
Warwick