This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old December 11th, 2008, 09:38 PM

First Lieutenant

Azselendor is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Star Trek XI

I'm in favor of rebooting star trek, reinventing and re-imagining it because, as you said they've stayed the course far too long. My complaint on JJ abrams is his bait and switch tactic.

I also have a problem with using time travel ans a key plot device. It falls into the category of flashbacks. I enjoyed BSG:Razor greatly, but I was disgusted that they did a flashback within a flashback.

Now I don't feel JJ is violating star trek canon at all, in fact he was handed the time travel device by star trek itself and, I'm hoping with glee that He doesn't reset the timeline let the screw up in time stand. One of the things I loved with deep space nine was that there was a good number of episodes where a character did something and there was no going back to fix it.

I also don't doubt that JJ Abrams cares about his work, I just happen to feel his work is over-valued and over-budgeted like so many other hollywood hot-property people.

And as I said, had they given it to brannon braga, I'd hate it more than EA games products. So I'll more than likely be in a theater watching it
Old December 11th, 2008, 09:53 PM

First Lieutenant

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=74147

Found the thread that ID'd the scanner, duct tape, and lamps.
Old December 13th, 2008, 03:47 AM

Major General

Randallw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurinTurambar View Post
I happen to know JJ Abrams and he's nothing of the sort.
yeah, and Joss Whedon is my cousin

ps. This isn't a joke.
Old December 14th, 2008, 04:34 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

Ok, here's the logic behind the new Star Trek movie. Enterprise changed everything. Archer ****ed with the time line and altered the future. No more Shatner Kirk, now we have an "I am angry at my dad," rebel without a cause, mid twenty something, hot shot, punk, me me me, spoiled rotten little douche bag Kirk. Gone is the tradition of character, gravitas, and respect that Shatner's Kirk represented. Replaced by aforementioned douche bag Kirk.

JJ isn't a dumb****, he knows how to tell a good story, so even though this isn't my Star Trek, it might not be bad Star Trek. So despite my utter repulsion at the though of yet another dismal remake of a once great thing, I will hold my breath and shell out the $9.50 to see this latest revision of Star Trek.

From War of the Worlds, BSG, Star Trek, to The Day The Earth Stood still, one right after the other, we are seeing remakes of good story telling crapped upon. Gone are the respectful youth replaced by spoiled I'm angry at daddy types. From the "I hate you dad" Apollo character of the new BSG to the punk attitude of the lead scientists step son in The Day The Earth Stood Still, a new format of writing has emerged. This new frustrated angry at the world method of story telling is getting on my nerves.

I liked the fact that Kirk was a strong 30 something leader, and the original Apollo loved and respected his father. I enjoyed the loyalty and down to earth reality of the way the first The Day The Earth Stood Still movie was made. I am so tired of this revisionist way to taking the old devouring its message and character, and ****ting out the new revised and "better" peaces of **** that directors are dumping on us these days.

I liked to see gun play, fist fights, and gun boat diplomacy in my star trek. I hated the new utopianistic vision of TNG and lapped up the darker view that DS9 offered. Star Trek's roots were based upon the military code. A code that lent itself to well to the strong willed characters that formed the core of the original show. McCoy wasn't afraid to cross the line and speak his mind, Kirk wasn't afraid to take risks and act on his own, and Spock wasn't afraid to do the right thing even when logic said not to. I miss my star trek. I do have to say though that the remastered version are very well done. I will buy the entire DVD set of the entire remastered original series as soon as I can. The new special effects work very well with the original show. Very nicely done.
Old December 14th, 2008, 04:35 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randallw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurinTurambar View Post
I happen to know JJ Abrams and he's nothing of the sort.
yeah, and Joss Whedon is my cousin

ps. This isn't a joke.
Then tell him to get off his *** and make more Serenity films!
Old December 14th, 2008, 06:26 PM

Captain

Black_Knyght is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Star Trek XI

Bravo and well-said, AT, to all of the above !!!

Old December 14th, 2008, 07:17 PM

First Lieutenant

From the looks of it, they aren't building from Enterprise's time travel nonsense -- with the exception of the Kelvin's art direction.

We have a whole new level of nonsense. In canon, Kirk grew up off world until his encounter with gov. Kodos
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Jame...#Early_History

From all indications, Nero (the film's villain and horribly named) goes back in time and kills Kirk's father. There he gets sent to his <> to live.

Skip forward, he washes out of starfleet after cheating the kobyashu maru test and lurks around starfleet bars trying to pickup girls. Like Uhura.

From there, it seems to get progressively star-warsian.

Last edited by Azselendor; December 14th, 2008 at 07:20 PM..
Old December 14th, 2008, 07:28 PM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrocities View Post
I liked to see gun play, fist fights, and gun boat diplomacy in my star trek. I hated the new utopianistic vision of TNG and lapped up the darker view that DS9 offered. Star Trek's roots were based upon the military code. A code that lent itself to well to the strong willed characters that formed the core of the original show. McCoy wasn't afraid to cross the line and speak his mind, Kirk wasn't afraid to take risks and act on his own, and Spock wasn't afraid to do the right thing even when logic said not to. I miss my star trek. I do have to say though that the remastered version are very well done. I will buy the entire DVD set of the entire remastered original series as soon as I can. The new special effects work very well with the original show. Very nicely done.
If memory serves, Gene Roddenberry hated the military code in star trek with a passion, even to the point where he forced paramount to choose. Him and star trek I's style or Star Trek II's military style.

They chose Star Trek II.

What I think you are trying to key into is the old west feeling star trek used to have. The idea that space wasn't tamed yet, and wouldn't be any time soon.
Old December 14th, 2008, 09:13 PM

Major General

Randallw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrocities View Post

Then tell him to get off his *** and make more Serenity films!
Well my side of the family doesn't talk to his, not being on speaking terms and all that. Besides he's the American side of the family and I'm Australian.

Being at risk of letting the joke (or not joke) go too far I suppose I should explain. It went like this.

Family Genealogist: Do you know Joss Whedon?
Myself: Well not personally,[ramble] I mean I've heard of him. Can't say as I've liked any of his programs, except there was that epsiode I did actually watch where the main character got turned into a muppet, oh and I paid attention once when I saw a bit of his sci-fi thing which had nice big office block ships. The program itself was terrible, I mean cowboys in space , a star system with hundreds of planets [/ramble]. Anyway, to answer your question, yes I know of him.
FG: He's your 6th cousin.
Me: [disinterested]humph[/disinterested].

If I ever met him face to face we wouldn't get on well, seeing as how the more I learn about him the less I like him. I just find it mildly ammusing to say we're related. Techncially we are but it's practically meaningless, except as a bit of a joke

interesting fact, Gerorge W. Bush and John Kerry are 9th cousins
Old December 27th, 2008, 07:41 AM

First Lieutenant

Makinus is on a distinguished road

My 0,02 cents:

- Time travel is one of the most used plot gimmicks in star trek, a lot of episodes and even the First Contact movie use it, so it´s pratically canon...

- I love the series, i own all the DVD/movies/episodes and whatanot of star trek, but i too think it needs to be rebooted... (i´ll buy the remasterized TOS DVDs when they are available too...)

- Young angst have it´s place, i agree that its being overutilized recently in movies/series, but i disagree that the changes made in BSG are for the worse, the Apollo/Adama relationship got a whole new depth, and it was very well made... in the other hand, War of the Worlds was a mess.... so let´s see what star trek does with it, it can be good or bad, but i will reserve judgement until i see it...

- I´m looking forward to see how the Leonard Nimoy cameo is integrated in the plot...