This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old October 15th, 2006, 06:16 PM

Corporal

Elsemeravin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SE5 AI is pathetic

On the other side, the sooner the game is publicly released, the sooner I can work on my mod, which should then be completed by the time Aaron fix most issues.

If released in 3 months, I can only start in 3 months, and not proposed the mod when the game is finally "finished" (bug-free).

The marketing should however start big advertising not now but in 3 months, and then only fans of the series might buy the game now, however still buggy, and the newcomers will only hear about it in 3 months and buy a game "bug-free" and with several interesting mods tweaking it.
Old October 15th, 2006, 09:20 PM

General

Baron Munchausen is on a distinguished road

The patch will help quite a bit. The AI is not 'comatose' anymore in the latest patch. It'll never be real competition for an experienced human, of course. But at least it will be doing something after the patch.
Old October 15th, 2006, 09:51 PM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Baron Munchausen said:
The patch will help quite a bit. The AI is not 'comatose' anymore in the latest patch. It'll never be real competition for an experienced human, of course. But at least it will be doing something after the patch.
What in the patch helped the AI? I didn't see anything in the notes.

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old October 15th, 2006, 10:08 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

AAshbery76 said:
Blame the publishers SF,who yet again released a game unfinished.3+ months more development time was needed.

If Aaron hadn't done the exact same thing with Starfury and SE4 before this, I might be inclined to agree...
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old October 15th, 2006, 11:40 PM

Corporal

AstralWanderer is on a distinguished road

I'd agree that the AI in SEIV was dire as well to start with. The problem is that AI can only really be worked on when the game engine/rules are essentially set in stone - if the game balance isn't there yet (necessitating further changes) then clearly the AI is going to be some way behind.

On the other hand, how many posters here would be happy to see the release delayed for a few more months to allow for better tuning of the AI, given that modders (*salutes*) likely have more time to do a better job?
Old October 16th, 2006, 12:37 AM

Corporal

LordAxel is on a distinguished road

The game will be slightly hurt as well bc its not in the big super stores(best buy ,cc). The game is far more buggy than i expected. My feel on alot of the broken components is dont include them until they work. The worst thing is they should have NEVER EVER released this game with the state the multiplayer is in. Either that or the AI has to be good at release or what are you releasing
Old October 16th, 2006, 12:37 AM

General

Baron Munchausen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Phoenix-D said:
Quote:
Baron Munchausen said:
What in the patch helped the AI? I didn't see anything in the notes.
Well, he never has put everything in the history file. I can't say what may have changed since I don't know the scripting language but I started a new game a couple days ago and the AI is much more active than I have ever seen it. The .CSF files are dated Oct 9th, so things in there have been changed very recently. There are actual fleets moving around. They block warp points after my scouts come through. Until recently they were actually ahead of me in certain technologies. Since I play with 'see all scores' enabled I can see how fast the AI empires are growing, too. They are expanding at a better rate than I can remember seeing before.
Old October 16th, 2006, 03:02 AM

Corporal

Uncle_Joe is on a distinguished road

Well, I guess this thread sort of answers my question as to whether this game is actually DONE or not. The fact that a 'balance mod' is also so necessary after Day 1 already aroused my suspicions that the game really isnt ready for primetime.

Now, if the AI is pretty brain-dead as well, I think that is just more fuel for the fire. I've very torn about buying this game. On one hand I'd like to support it and try it out because I was a huge fan of SE3 and SE4. On the other hand I dont want to be going through all the growing pains of a beta that I have no input in. I've done quite a bit of beta testing for Matrix Games but I've been part of the process, not one of the 'pay to playtest' crowd. Paying full price for an incomplete game isnt high on my list, I guess.

Hopefully the patch will be a step in the right direction, but honestly unless I see a ton of acclaim shortly after its release, I'll probably just hold off on this title for a while. GalCiv2 was a complete disappointment without any multiplayer option. I was holding out a lot of hope for SE5. Here's hoping he gets it squared away sooner rather than later.
Old October 16th, 2006, 07:49 AM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road

Actually the most recent patch fixed an error with the AI was researching items they did not have access to - that's why the script files were updated in the upcoming patch.

The AI does the following though: They will protect some of their warp points with about 6-10 ships. They'll also launch the occassional attack, with the more aggressive races being proactive about it. I would say they are certainly not building enough units right now, but that shouldn't be too hard to tweak.

One of the problems with the stock races is the way they are assigning colony types - based solely on a set percentage of a colony type desired rather than evaluated the planet's resource value first and making sure it's one of the resource colony types if the value of the planet is good. In many cases good resource planets are being waste. This was something that has already been changed in the Balance Mod.

The AI is slow on expansion because a) they are not building enough colony and explorer ships and b) they are spending too much time surverying systems (hence the slow down in processing times turns ~4-15) rather than exploring first than surverying as most humans do. By the time they get 5 or 6 systems they are bumping into other empires or singing stupid treaties that hurt their growth.
Old October 16th, 2006, 08:04 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Pocus is on a distinguished road

by the way, what about the stupid treaties proposal? Is this fixed in the upcoming patch (when will it be out?) or fixed in a balance mod?