.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Closed Thread

Old May 4th, 2010, 05:57 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road
Default Ban-a-thon

Wow. I go away for a few weeks and some of the most knowledgable players in the game have been mass banned? Makes me question why I came back. Is there a boilerplate comment about the incident?
Old May 4th, 2010, 06:04 PM

First Lieutenant

13lackGu4rd is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ban-a-thon

might wanna check out these threads: http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=45509 ; http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=45498

it all started with Sombre getting perma banned for "disregarding the forum rules" which later turned into "he was treated with silk gloves but enough is enough" and than the majority of the community jumped into the thick of things in Sombre's defense, things got quite rough and the mods decided to not let it slide and ban the main "troublemakers" as they(not me) called them, so Maerlande, Frozen Lama and Trumanator were also perma banned. don't think anybody else was, but I do know that Burnsaber also left these forums due to this whole incident, so now the modding forums is missing its 2 main contributors(Sombre and Burnsaber).

for more information hop into our IRC channel, there's still an ongoing discussion about this even now, the ripples of it just won't die...
Old May 4th, 2010, 06:41 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Mass Ban? I thought it was 2
Old May 4th, 2010, 06:44 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

There were 4.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old May 4th, 2010, 06:50 PM

General

Zeldor is on a distinguished road

Ironhawk:

But Shrapnel people were much better at insulting

Anyway, new forums are coming, I wonder how many people will stay here... I guess both sides will be happy. We, that we don't have to deal with Shrapnel and Shrapnel that does not have to bother about people that already bought the game.

LA Agartha guide
Old May 4th, 2010, 07:35 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

ok I found out (asked in IRC)
Old May 4th, 2010, 07:48 PM

Second Lieutenant

Verjigorm is on a distinguished road

At the risk of being unpopular, I have always found that forum trolls are always of detriment to the community regardless of whatever contributions they make. They drive away new people and make others want to leave or not participate.

Any mods those guys made are contributions prior. They can still play--they just can't be nasty on the forums which is how it was explained.

If they want to get hot over spitting in the face of the mods after being offered a chance to return, that's fine. I'm sure there are other people who will be more than willing to take up the slack that was left from their departure, and perhaps with weeds pulled the community as a whole will be better off.

I don't have anything against any of them personally, nor do I know the event that caused the bans in the first place and I don't care. I have been on many forums and without qualification, trolls are always a negative force regardless of how much useful information may be stored within them. Anything within them can be found elsewhere.

I spent probably 30 minutes the other day responding to what I thought was a request for strategy assistance only to find that it was some dude trolling and trying to start fights by insulting anyone who tried to help in earnest for whatever purpose. That thread has been deleted. Forums are Dictatorships not Democracies. Rules are generalities not absolutes. Mods have discretionary power to do what they decide is best for the community in general.
Old May 4th, 2010, 07:59 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaDYJMy9Ddk
Old May 4th, 2010, 08:08 PM

First Lieutenant

Zapmeister is on a distinguished road

How does banning even work? If it's just based on the name, then its a trivial matter to re-register under a different one.

If its based on IP, most people don't have a static one. And if whole ranges of IPs are blocked, you're potentially banning innocents that use the same ISP.

That's why I'm convinced that Norfleet is still lurking around here somewhere ...
Old May 4th, 2010, 08:17 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

How does any punishment work for anything? Internet or real world. Same comments, same answers.

And I agree about Norfleet.
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showp...1&postcount=35
Closed Thread