.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old July 13th, 2008, 08:57 AM

Lieutenant General

Xietor is on a distinguished road
Default Throne of Heroes.

Edit-Turin PMed me and has given me permission to update the Worthy Heroes Mod. In light of that fact, my efforts will best be served there, rather than start a new mod from scratch. However, I do intend to proceed era by era, with the MA being changed 1st. Keep in mind soon is a relative word.

As Qm will also be working on a separate update to Worthy Heroes for all ages, I will call my update to Turin's Mod Throne of Heroes.

In the very near future, I am going to start a mod whose intent is identical to Worthy Heroes, but for the Middle Era only.

A couple of things have prompted me to begin this project:

1. The slow release of WH 1.9-and this is not a jab at QM at all. His baby is the CBM, and the CBM is breathtaking in its scope. If the only mod he was tinkering with was WH there is no telling where it would be.

2. I also in my discussions with QM sense a fundamental difference in what we want from our heroes, a difference I also had with Turin as well. They are both more conservative in nature with their heroes than I intend to be.

And I shared that conservatism until I actually had two large full blown games with Epic Heroes. What I learned is even very powerful Epic Heroes affect the early game, but they had small impact on the midgame, and none on the late game.

Unlike an Epic Hero, who you can count on from turn 1, a "Worthy Hero" is hit or miss really. You certainly cannot plan your pretender around the hope that you get one early in the game.

Combine that "fact" with the "fact" that luck is underpowered, and you have all the more reason to reward luck liberally. And one of the few ways to do that(absent the CBM) is to take advantage of the vanilla game mechanic that adds an additional chance for a hero to join your cause.

I am only doing the Middle Age with this mod, primarily because I am most familiar with that era, and because I think I can do a better job with the focus on only 1 era-at least to start.

As with Epic Heroes, I would really like to get heroes from many sources. So if anyone is interested in doing one please contact me.

After watching Pitch Black recently, I think Riddick should be a Hero! But for what race?

Old July 13th, 2008, 09:03 AM

Corporal

DigitalSin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Throne of Heroes

Riddick should be fer, fer, fer.. MA Man! Hmm, that doesn't actually sound too thematic, but I can't think of a better team so that's my answer for now.
Old July 13th, 2008, 09:49 AM

Lieutenant General

Riddick

Abilities:

Darkvision 100
blind-should he get blind? he seems to possess the ability to fight with sense as well as sight. Especially in the 2nd movie.
Old July 13th, 2008, 10:43 PM

Corporal

DaveCG is on a distinguished road

Hmm, although I do tend to go for less silly things, I must admit having riddick runing around would be fun

Although it's still in the concept stage, would there any chance of possiblly making it not conflict with worthy heroes, as I'm a sucker when it comes to content I'd proberly end up fixing it myself but I tend to lose track of numbers half way through fixing.

Either way, like I said more content(ie heroes)= yay!

Besides, if you put riddick in, you have to put Bruce Campbell as Ash from evil dead, make him part of ...hmm...undead hating nation A?

I don't know, all I know is I want to tear it up with my SC Ash and his chainsaw hand
Old July 14th, 2008, 12:02 AM

Lieutenant General

It will definitely conflict with Worthy Heroes. You would play one or the other. But this mod will only cover the middle era in any event.

But since there are many many vanilla heroes for the Middle Era already, it will also be very similar to Worthy Heroes.

In general, the Heroes will be a bit more useful in the mid to late game, as their abilities will translate better, and they will be tougher in general.

Though the vanilla heroes KO made recently for Agartha, Eriu, and a few other races are tough already. But
with a little imagination, we can adjust the backgrounds of some of these human heroes so they are not so fragile.

I am compiling a complete list of vanilla heroes for the middle age, and will publish it in the next day or two. Basically i am making test games, luck 3, clicking through 200 turns per race. That takes a bit of time, but should give me 95 percent of the heroes or more.

Many races do not need any heroes at all-the existing heroes just need tweaked. Then you have some races that have no vanilla game heroes at all(:
Old July 14th, 2008, 04:14 AM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

I love Riddick and I love Ash-I own all the Evil Dead movies (including the one with the Necronomicon case, I keep worrying the battery's gonna die though, cause I actually use it as a prop on Halloween...), Pitch Black, and the special director's cut of Chronicles. Honestly though, adding Riddick would be a whole lot of fun, right until he got stomped on by an elephant, unless it's done within the context of the realities of the game. It might be slightly less satisfying, but ultimately a whole lot less anticlimactic, if you were to create an independent population type of basically darkvisioned Wolf Tribe double-dagger warriors who live underground, call them Furyans, and have them led by a hero named Riddick. It would still be a nice easter-egg.

Maybe somebody can convince the Devs to allow us to add more Bogus-type adventure squads into the game? I think that's an awesome feature to have put into the game, I'm sure we could have a lot of fun adding to that. It would be amazing to witness Ash show up and chainsaw the hell out of Late Ermor. Or Hellboy, Abe Sapien, Liz Sherman, Lobster Johnson, and Roger the Homonculus take the piss out of LA R'lyeh. Or I keep hoping they'll let us do mercenaries, too. I really enjoy the ones we have already-and I always try to get the Ettin. Imagine how much fun it might be to hire a few Protoss led by Fenix?
Old July 14th, 2008, 10:35 AM

Lieutenant General

Throne of Heroes-List of Vanilla heroes complete.

The 1st step to creating a mod to make heroes for the middle era is to get a complete list of what heroes already exist in the base game.

Throne of Heroes will not remove any base game hero-but tweak them to make them a thug. Old age will be removed, new abilities added. In general, basically what Turin did with Worthy Heroes, but upped a bit.

A glance at the list below shows several races need no new heroes. However, volunteers are needed to create heroes for bandar log and Oceania who have zero heroes! Shinuyama only has one.

Vanheim and Caelum need new heroes. Dr. P has agreed to work on Tien Chi. Atlantis could use some help.

An interesting thought for a MA Man hero is something from the Robert Jordan books. KO said Man was based on the Robert Jordan Books and King Arthur. Just a thought.

I would love to see a Yeti made for caelum. While I have a Yeti as an Epic Hero, there is room for more than one Yeti!
But I may make a Yeti myself if no one volunteers.

1. Arcoscephale:
Pathos- Son of Titans (954)
Asterios- Monster in the Maze (1089)
Orokestes –Hierophant (587)
Daidalos- Maker of the Maze (1073)

Multihero:

2 Ashdod
Shashai, first son of Anak (2048)
Ahiman , second son of Anak (2047)
Talmai, third son of Anak(2049)

3. Abysia
Chuzrael the Slayer(867)
Rago, Rage Lord(539)
Ba’ al Chozron, Anathemant Warlock (581)

4. Agartha
Klaus, Mason of the Underworld (1848)
Golag, Decrepit (1847)
Kin-Breaker, Onyx Oracle (1846)

Multihero

5. Atlantis
-Chuddar Kadul, Seer King (558)
-Shudul Cthuda, Coral Prince (373)
Multihero

6. Bandar Log

None Found!

7. Caelum:
-Zaelinys, Harab Seraphine(557)
-Caelos, Sacred One (556)

Multihero:

8. C`tis
Niklatu, Lizard Hero (379)
Urugallu, Lizard Hero (380)
Murmur, Guild Master (585)
Kabti’ili, Ancient Shaman (635)

9. Eriu
Tuan, Last Partholonian(1794)
Ferdiad, Fir Bolg Hero (1777)
Cu Chulainn, Hero (1778)
Scathach, Trainer of Heroes(1844)

Multihero
Mathghamhain, Fianna(1806)

10. Ermor:
-Zirru, Grand Thaumaturg(977)
-Mortius Scythe Wielder (868)

Multihero:

11. Jotunheim
-Tjatse, Abductor (1382)
-Angerboda, Great Hag (586)
-Sporsnjall, Wolf Lord (508)

12. Machaka
Mchumba, Ape Oracle (1706)
Ainra, Lady of Spiders (946)
Abasi, Hero(952)
Yasini, King Triumphant (953)
Mwaka, Crowned Ape (1426)

13. Man
-Bernlad, Green Knight (376)
-Rhianne, Heroine (381)
-Brangwen, Blind One (582)

Multihero
-Knight of the Stone (58)

14. Marignon
Angelique d'Armant (588)
Carmont, Cardinal (583)
Tomaso del Monferrada, Witch Hunter General (589)

15. Mictlan:
Mixcoatl, Priest King (1886)
Topiltzin, Priest King (1884)
Mictlipoctli, King of Legends (933)

16. Oceania

None Found!

17. Pangaea
Taurotyrannos, Black Bull (611)
Rams Head, White Satyr (770)
Arcopythera, Harpy Queen (614)
Menopathos, White Minotaur (540)

18. Pythium
Marius Lorca, Hero(505)
Hierogallus, Hero (Serpent Lord)(506)
Bartholomäus, Patriarch (584)
Multihero
Master of the Games(37)

19. R'lyeh
Auluudh, Aboleth(660)
Cthugul, Stargazer (560)
Shubejc, Visitor (1408)
N’gai, Traitor Prince (444)

20. Shinuyama
Yukinaga, Heart Hider(1670)

21. Tien Chi
Lu Tung Pin, immortal (943)
Ho Hsien-KU, immortal (942)
Li Tìeh-Kua, Master with Iron Crutch (944)

22. Ulm
Raterik the Hero (378)
Hildegard the Heroine (507)
Barthulf the Hero (377)

23. Vanheim
Vanlade, Hero (590)
Farbaute, Hero (544)

Multihero
Old July 14th, 2008, 10:42 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

See my post in the other thread re: the complete list.
Old July 14th, 2008, 01:56 PM

Lieutenant General

Well,

Turin just Gave me permission to update Worthy Heroes. So there will be no Throne of Heroes, but a Worthy Heroes 1.85 which will update the heroes for the MA.

Rome was not built in a day, and I would prefer to update the mod era by era and make sure I know what I am working with.

The hero list is accurate. Though the traitor Prince appears
to be a multihero for Ryleh.
Old July 14th, 2008, 04:24 PM

Second Lieutenant

Turin is on a distinguished road

Yeah sorry about keeping you waiting. As I said in the pm I simply had not logged in in months.

I'd advise you against creating heroes from popular fiction though. I think that part of the reason why worthy heroes has become quite mainstream is that the philosophy behind it was to only put material in and make changes that are "safe" to make. With safe I mean that they are unlikely to piss anyone off. Heroes from popular fiction are certainly borderline. I know I would not like it to have a Riddick running around in my games.

As can be seen by qm's conceptual balance mod people are very reluctant to accept a mod even if they have only one or two little things to nitpick with it.

The downside is of course that the mod tends to be fairly conservative and might not be as much of an improvement as it could be.

That being said, I'm pretty sure that your version of worthy heroes will have a fun factor at least three times higher than mine and I want to thank you for keeping the mod alive.