World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Shrapnel General

Old August 18th, 2008, 06:02 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The New Fangled Avatar Factory & Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Kolis View Post
Hmm, I tried to edit my previous post but I guess it's too late or something... that's fine, I didn't want to take anything back, I just wanted to admit that yes, I am a troll and I know it and there's nothing I can do about it - political correctness just makes me want to go postal, and if I don't vent somewhere then I will probably wind up on the news...

Political Correctness is the wool pulled over your mouth.
Old August 18th, 2008, 06:09 PM

Second Lieutenant

S.R. Krol is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annette View Post
Shrapnel Games would need to have written documentation from the copyright holder to be able to host their images on our site. And it's really not of interest to us to seek permission to host images from other games. After all, our developers hired us to promote their games, no? While AoW is a great game enjoyed by users here and our developers alike, I just don't think it's a good idea .
It's more than copyright issues though, Ed, it's promoting another company's competing product, even if indirectly.
Old August 18th, 2008, 06:12 PM

General

Ed Kolis is on a distinguished road

Oh, it was my impression that that game was out of print, and that's WHY they let you guys use the images...
Old August 18th, 2008, 07:03 PM

Second Lieutenant

S.R. Krol is on a distinguished road

While OOP you can still find it for sale. In fact, I actually just found the original game for sale on GoGamer. Are the developers seeing any money from those sales? Probably not, which is why they're okay with it. Whoever still retains the publishing IP rights though...that may be a different situation.
Hell, Tim can't even do anything with 101st even though Empire (now owned by someone else I believe) isn't doing anything with it, and probably never will.
Old August 18th, 2008, 08:41 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Annette is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballbarian View Post
DG,
I don't know if she wants it or not, but I found Annette's old avatar on google if you want to retouch it.

Annette,
Am I remembering right that you posted somewhere about losing the link to your old avatar? If not, please ignore this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David E. Gervais View Post
I don't think the old avatar turned out good when I enlarged it, so I found something else that might work,.. what do you think Annette?

Think this one captures the spirit of the old avatar?

Cheers!
Quote:
Annette, I have been trying to find a larger version of your avatar with no success. Was it part of the old forums 'cannon' avatars that got installed with the software in ages gone past? As you have seen, I did manage to find a few old 'Recreuiting posters' to make avatars, but still have not found the one you have. Do you know if it's a USO poster? Rockwell painting? or just some obscure war poster and that pose has been cropped from it? I'd really like to find a larger version of your avatar.

Cheers!

Xrati, the old avatars should still be around somewhere.. did you try scanning the old avatar emporium thread?
I did lose my link to my avatar, Balbarian, and found it in the photo album you posted. Thank you! Quite frankly, David, I've had it so long I don't remember where it came from I think it was a stock Shrapnel avatar from 2000. I appreciate your effort on the new one, but she's a bit too...um...heavenly. But now that I think about it, maybe that's what I need - to seek mercy on my soul every time I post in these here forums...
Old August 18th, 2008, 08:53 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Kolis View Post
Well I hate to offend people, and if you want to ban me I certainly can't stop you (though I could start badmouthing Shrapnel, something I am loath to do after all these years of getting along with you guys), but I don't want to apologize right now... call me a free-software terrorist if you want, I don't care - that's not an insult to me, it's a compliment (he who gives up liberty for security being a coward who will get neither and all that)!
I might apologize later, but people really need to get over this "Nazis are off limits" thing - it really pisses me off! Humanity is capable of much worse than what the Nazis did, and I don't want to be the one to prove it!
Ban you, Ed? I hardly think so! I'm not sure anyone has ever called me a forum nazi before... in reality, the first thing that would happen if we violated copyright is that the copyright holder would ask us to remove the offending whatever. We're talking about avatars, and it's pretty unlikely Disney or the USFO or whoever would come here and be alarmed by what they see. But in principle, as software publishers, we are extremely sensitive to violating other company's copyright because we are sensitive to our own copyright protection. That would be setting a double standard, wouldn't it?

No need to blow this out of proportion, and it's not just a matter of permissions. I just think if someone wants to create a bunch of cool AoW avatars and has permission to do so, that would be a great independent project. But we will shy away from officially hosting it. I've said it before, and I'll say it again...our developers have hired us to promote their games. That's why we're here.
Old August 19th, 2008, 01:53 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

I've talked about this with Annette and I'm going to host any AoW avatars David may make on my personal webspace so if someone wants to use any of them, they can do so.

It's not a big deal and there is nothing strange about Shrapnel's position as such. If this were an independent gaming site instead of an actual game publishing company, it'd be somewhat different. As things are now, with the permission from Triumph, there is no possible way Shrapnel or anyone here can get in trouble over this, even when the origin of the images has been stated and they have been posted as such a massive block.
Old August 19th, 2008, 01:01 PM

General

Ed Kolis is on a distinguished road

OK, well, sorry for blowing things out of proportion!
Old August 19th, 2008, 03:40 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

And I'm sorry for being a forum nazi; no avatar for you!

Does this avatar make me look fat?
Old August 19th, 2008, 05:04 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Here's an Idea,.. if you got a paint program that can do the following..

1) Load a .png image with alpha channel
2) Crop and/or resize an image (to 64x64 size)
3) Overlay a .png on the resized/cropped 64x64 image
4) Save As.. .gif (with optimized pallet & set color RGB 255,0,255 to transparent)

Then using this Template..

You too can make a custom Avatar. Try if if you can and see if it works. Be sure to post your results here so we can all see. If you want to make a 'batch' of avatars and post them here, Mindi can decide if they are worthy of being moved to the default selection of avatars.

Cheers!
Trying to follow your instructions as best I could (I was using Adobe ImageReady), I made this for Sarge: