.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old November 18th, 2013, 11:07 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: #3 The Road to El-Arish

Try the same tactics with this version. A couple of small changes to the Egyptian set up and 2 turns less. Remember we are looking at the difference between victory or defeat at 2x the points for the Israelis and conditions like that should require you work for it

Don
Attached Files
File Type: zip SPSCN003 (2).zip (54.2 KB, 382 views)
Old November 18th, 2013, 09:22 PM

Second Lieutenant

jivemi is on a distinguished road

Okey-doke, I'll give it a try later (after shopping with the missus). Sorry I don't have a save from turn 10 or earlier but I'll try to remember this time. Thanks again. Jon
Old November 19th, 2013, 06:20 AM

Second Lieutenant

Considerably more difficult this time. Got a draw, 1795 to 961. Again, I got so engrossed in the action I forgot to save earlier, just the last two turns . Sorry about that. The flyboys got most of the tank kills, all four Archers and one or two reinforcements. The AMX's got three IIRC.

OK gimme a break on El Arish for awhile . There's a scenario (#63, El Firdan) I'd like to try again, along with its variant (#64) with more infantry and arty. Got a lucky draw on 63, haven't played 64 yet.

They're 10 and 11 turns respectively. You think it might be reasonable to bump them both up to 14 turns? The Egyptians have lots of ATGM's so otherwise a win chance is pretty remote.

Thanks again and have a happy. Cheers, Jon
Attached Files
File Type: rar Turn 11 El Arish.rar (82.6 KB, 348 views)
File Type: rar Turn 12 El Arish.rar (79.1 KB, 348 views)
Old November 19th, 2013, 07:14 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

That's not far off the victory conditions
Old November 19th, 2013, 07:48 AM

Second Lieutenant

Yeah, but as we used to say in the US Army, close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades :-). A loss is still a loss, but maybe a better player could win it in 12 turns. Pretty challenging though.
Old November 19th, 2013, 11:19 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

I've set it to 13 turns now. I think that will do it. Thanks for the playtesting help, It should be challenging, not impossible
Old November 19th, 2013, 11:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

Yes 13 turns should be spot-on. Pleased to be of service.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 09:33 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jivemi View Post
Yeah, but as we used to say in the US Army, close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades :-). A loss is still a loss, but maybe a better player could win it in 12 turns. Pretty challenging though.
None of these scenarios are meant to be easy,the designers make them hard for the reason, they don't want to hear"it was easy" after putting so much work into it.

You could have used the scen editor to add more turns yourself, so no need to ask the devs to add more turns imo, just saying.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 11:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by gila View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jivemi View Post
None of these scenarios are meant to be easy,the designers make them hard for the reason, they don't want to hear"it was easy" after putting so much work into it.

You could have used the scen editor to add more turns yourself, so no need to ask the devs to add more turns imo, just saying.
The scenarios in MBT seem harder than WW2. A lot of that is 'cuz of the post-sixties ATGM's I suppose, but even the earlier ones are tough (for me, anyway). Which is exactly how they should be.

As for the turn increases I was just meaning to ask Don if he thought it was reasonable for anyone to increase the turns on their own (I don't have the disc but Don kindly told me how to use the in-game editor). Those particular scenarios (#63 and 64) expect you to assault a position defended by malyutka teams, ATG's, infantry with RPG's, MG's and tanks.

They're 10 and 11 turns respectively--the variant gives you more infantry and arty too--which IMO is asking the impossible, at least for #63 (haven't played #64 yet). Fourteen turns each might give you a fighting chance for an MV. And yes, I've already bumped them up on my own; just waiting for positional memories to fade before having another go. Wish me luck, I'll need it.
Old November 24th, 2013, 01:37 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Mr Blackard keeps time tight on a lot of his scenarios, I have not played any recently but there might be a good case for play testing & increasing the number of turns & putting timed objectives on at around 9-15.
Timed objectives are a very good addition which give you the need to hurry up.

Its up to you what the length is & in most cases adding a turn or 2 is fair enough, its just play balancing. Keep in mind some have become harder & some easier since they were designed due to changes in units etc.

If people do update them another thing to look at is just making some minor adjustments to deployment. A lot deploy the platoon leader to the front so just swap his position with the rear platoon unit. Saves spending the first turn with your platoon leader staying as is or even moving backwards to sort this.

63 is unwinnable its supposed to be, read 64s intro notes.
64 is still nigh on impossible, see if you can do better but what I did was send infantry forward, stick a vehicle over, see what fired & killed it. Then use your infantry to smoke so just engaging one or 2 targets & send the rest up.
Recon by death due to the time constraints.