This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Shrapnel General

Old August 20th, 2008, 03:44 PM

First Lieutenant

Azselendor is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Official Complaints/Concerns/Opinions

There is an update for FF3 for firebug : https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1843
as for the XML Dev Toolbar, I think the maker of it stopped work on it. Last update was october of 2006.

Does anyone else find the Shrapnel Favicon to be poor? I have an idea to fix it, but I don't know what font the text is in.
The Following User Says Thank You to Azselendor For This Useful Post:
Old August 20th, 2008, 03:45 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Mindi is on a distinguished road

It was a quickie job thrown up there to remove the vbulletin default. I may throw sarge back up there which is what we were using before anyway.

For those looking for with this forum, please see Annette as I am retired.
Old August 21st, 2008, 03:15 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herode View Post
Yep, but don't forget some addons are still out of date for FF3. If you have critical need for tools like Firebug or the XML Developper Toolbar, you'd better still wait a for a while. But OK, very few people endure such needs as critical
Eh, most of the plugins still work fine. The version checking is just a single number set in the xul, easily ignored right in the addons dialog.
Old August 21st, 2008, 04:41 PM

Private

w-elk is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Steel Panthers Storms Ashore!

Post of Welk :
Very bad idea to have changed the forum :

1-All old post and files erased... The community have now no any life...
2-Impossible to post with old pseudo (I had to create new pseudo (W-elk) to be able to post, and not possibility to create new thread...)

I think you have destroyed your own "house". For me, no more interst to come here : a "ghost hall" ...
Old August 22nd, 2008, 08:33 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Annette is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Steel Panthers Storms Ashore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by w-elk View Post
Post of Welk :
Very bad idea to have changed the forum :

1-All old post and files erased... The community have now no any life...
2-Impossible to post with old pseudo (I had to create new pseudo (W-elk) to be able to post, and not possibility to create new thread...)

I think you have destroyed your own "house". For me, no more interst to come here : a "ghost hall" ...
I've moved your post here to the official thread for complaints/concerns/opinions about the new forums. Your post was made in a SPWW2 press release thread from 2006 which was unlikely to be seen.

1-What specific area of the forums are you looking for? The SPWW2 forums? They are found here: http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139

2- Were your user name and log in name different on the old system? As posted in our announcements before and after the conversion, that would impact your ability to log into the new forums.

Last edited by Annette; August 22nd, 2008 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: spelling/ add link
Old August 22nd, 2008, 10:09 AM

Lieutenant General

archaeolept is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMorrison View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lch View Post
I'm on Firefox 2.0.0.16 myself and as reported earlier, I have frequently experienced the auto-logout myself. I usually don't shutdown my computer, but just let it suspend to RAM or to disk. With the old forums, I could be logged in with the same session for weeks. The only reason that I had to log out was because the functionality to show which posts are new and which you have already seen stopped working at some time.
Same here. Also after an inordinate amount of time, it would stop showing an icon for new PMs, so I left my Inbox in another tab, ready to refresh.

And now, with "remember me" (grrrr, I hate being remembered!), I still get auto logged, I just don't see that part because it logs me back in automatically. But I can tell I was forced off, because any thread with new posts that I hadn't read yet, is marked as not having new posts anymore.
hmm, I was going to mention that as a separate bug... but it makes sense that it is the same issue.

let's say, in the morning, I go over to the main dominions forum, after refreshing the page in the multiplayer forum. It will only show that there were a few new posts, when really there are a bunch more that i've never looked at and, for some reason, it doesn't consider new. It makes it look like the forum has been almost completely inactive.

I'm using IE 7 w/ "remember me" for these forums - but perhaps it auto-logs me out, then, when I refresh to see the latest in the multiplayer forum, it auto logs me in again, but for some reason the intervening or previous "new posts" are no longer seen as new?

one way to check would be to just let an account idle in IE 7/FF3 and then have someone else see if the forums consider said first account online or not.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 02:17 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by archaeolept View Post
let's say, in the morning, I go over to the main dominions forum, after refreshing the page in the multiplayer forum. It will only show that there were a few new posts, when really there are a bunch more that i've never looked at and, for some reason, it doesn't consider new. It makes it look like the forum has been almost completely inactive.

I'm using IE 7 w/ "remember me" for these forums - but perhaps it auto-logs me out, then, when I refresh to see the latest in the multiplayer forum, it auto logs me in again, but for some reason the intervening or previous "new posts" are no longer seen as new?

Bingo. Seems to be a common problem.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 03:44 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Mindi is on a distinguished road

I have changed the way forums are marked as read from cookie/inactivity based to being done by the database. Your initial flags since this change may be messed up because it will most likely mark everything as new. I have no idea how this will affect performance and if it is too labor intensive we may have to revert back to cookie based; however, for now this *should* remove the issue with marking things read.

For those looking for with this forum, please see Annette as I am retired.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mindi For This Useful Post:
Old August 22nd, 2008, 04:08 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Ah, thanks! I was wondering what happened just now.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 09:48 AM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Well, I appreciate everyone's understanding of the slight burp in what was becoming the normal operation of the forum (since I really wanted this fixed!). But I just wanted to say, that from what I can tell, one click of the "Mark Forums Read" button to clear the chaff, and things are functioning much more like before - thank you! <3