Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old August 26th, 2005, 04:47 PM

Private

Pawatwoop is on a distinguished road
Default Paratrooper drops… Campaings.

Since when purchasing Para units they come with Air support... Is there a way in a campaign to make is so those air transport unit don't remain a part of the campaing core forces?

Or do I have to assign support points and tell the player to purchase the air transport. That would not be good.... since then they have to plot the drop zones as well....

"I tot I tah a pawatwoop!"
- Tweetie Bird, Normandy 1945
Old August 26th, 2005, 05:32 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Paratrooper drops… Campaings.

I think, but It's been a LONG time since I worked with the user campaign code, that you can make the air transports auxillary units but, as I said, it's been a long time since I worked with that and may be wrong.

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old August 26th, 2005, 06:06 PM

Private

Thanks DRG... I was at work so couldn't try... I'l just try it.

Old August 26th, 2005, 06:19 PM

Colonel

Pyros is on a distinguished road

Hi,

You can load your Para as passengers during a campaign, if you meet one of the following conditions:

1. Trasport recruited as support AUX unit before deployment phase,
2. Transport assigned as AUX unit from scenario designer,
3. Transport included in core force (if you decide to use it during a scenario then you must fix it at the replacement phase - fix damage of 1 - in order to be able to use it at the next scenario)

exception:
If the scenario designer makes the Transport unit a FIX (Aux) unit, then the player may not use (load) it.

cheers,
Pyros
Old August 26th, 2005, 06:29 PM

Colonel

Quote:
Pawatwoop said:
Or do I have to assign support points and tell the player to purchase the air transport. That would not be good.... since then they have to plot the drop zones as well....
Even if you plot the drop zones for the AUX transport in the editor (for a specific campaign scenario) the player during the deployment phase may change at no cost the drop zone to one of his choice.
The best thing to do in such case is to write in the description of the scenario that the player should respect and leave unmodified the pre-selected drop-zones.
I am sure that any player who wish to enjoy a well balanced scenario will respect that notice!

cheers!
Pyros
Old August 26th, 2005, 06:58 PM

Private

Ok… sadly… the AUX option does not work that way… The aircraft are gone as soon as I get to the deployment stage. But there is a second option that maintains the flavor of the campaign I envisioned.

I created the starting scenario as “Green Ramp”. It gives the player a one-turn scenario to take a look at their units. Then it moves right into the second scenario, which is the actual drop. On the actual drop, they have C-130’s to load up on I’ll just mark the drop zones with text as to where the units should drop.

The only real down side to this option is that is messes up the player’s win/loss ratio a bit… (I’ll lock it in as a draw I guess.) Also, the player may make the mistake of placing drop zones and units in the wrong areas if they mix up what is loaded on what aircraft… Well, that’s what design notes are for.

Thanks for the quick response… What’s the chance AUX units will be added in the future to start scenarios for campaigns?

Old August 26th, 2005, 07:20 PM

Major

Double_Deuce is on a distinguished road

Is this in the 1st Scenario of the Campaign? I'm using them in one of my campaigns BUT they have their own Para's on board and not the player's core force units?
Old August 26th, 2005, 08:42 PM

Private

Is there another way to add them to the first scenario without making them Core units or AUX? Support I know... but is there perhaps a third way?

Been a long time since I bult SP sceanrios... First time in the MBT version.

Oh, by the way... Great work on the reprograming. It really revitalized one of my favorite games. I ordered the enhanced version today.

Old August 27th, 2005, 03:40 AM

Colonel

Hi,

The only way to have them on scenario No#1 is either as core force or as recruited support units (if the flight availability permits it **flights>0).

In any other scenario you may additionally assign them as pre-selected (already included in the scenario) assets, either as AUX or as FIX units.
The only difference is that if you set them as FIX units then you may also load them with AUX paratroopers and fixing that way that the combination paratrooper-transport will be respected. You may also assign the pre-determined drop zone, but you must notify the player that he must not modify the drop zone target (because during his deployment phase he may do so).

Anyway, I hope you enjoy designing scenarios!

cheers,
Pyros
Old August 27th, 2005, 11:53 PM

Major

Double_Deuce is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Pawatwoop said:
Is there another way to add them to the first scenario without making them Core units or AUX? Support I know... but is there perhaps a third way?
Not really. What I do for my campaigns IS make the 1st scenario a VERY small one. I consider it an orientation scenario, You get a small map with a mission such as move your unit to a designated assembly area and set up a perimeter. I do not purchase any enemy units (just the HQ). I edit its move to '0' and hide it in a far off corner so it doesn't get involved in a fight. Keep the scenario to 4-7 turns so its quick. This helps bypass the 1st scenario restrictions on AUX units (since the 2nd scenario is really the actual 'Start' of the campaign) and helps the player get acclimated to his units without having to worry about losing men while he is getting adjusted to the force structure.